2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

I watched the Marlies/Heat AHL game earlier today and the Marlies wore their white throwbacks that are the 70s/80s Leafs jerseys with their logo on it instead and I must say, I think the Leafs need to switch back to those. They are awesome.

I can see the nostalgia value but I don't think that looks good as a full-time look today. It's very much a product of its time and should probably stay that way, except maybe on throwback nights.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the '70s/'80s Leafs sweater would be a great full-time look for the Marlies, though.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I think the '70s/'80s Leafs sweater would be a great full-time look for the Marlies, though.

Yeah, I don't like how they wear exactly the same uniforms as the Leafs, save for the logos. Differentiate yourselves a bit. Use the Ballard template or hell, make use of the light blue. Even use Kabel if you want (this is the AHL).

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I never was a fan of that look. Maybe for a future Winter/Heritage classic it would look cool. But not full time... Their set is perfect as it is right now

2017 would be a good time to wear it.

Unlike the Habs in their anniversary celebrations, I think the Leafs don't really have that many variants of their uniforms. The logo does morph every now and then, but except for the St. Pats look it's going to be blue and white throughout.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

I watched the Marlies/Heat AHL game earlier today and the Marlies wore their white throwbacks that are the 70s/80s Leafs jerseys with their logo on it instead and I must say, I think the Leafs need to switch back to those. They are awesome.

I can see the nostalgia value but I don't think that looks good as a full-time look today. It's very much a product of its time and should probably stay that way, except maybe on throwback nights.

To me, it isn't about nostalgia. It is about wanting to see a look that I think is better make a come back. Just because it was a product of its time doesn't mean it has to stay that way. Look at teams like the Flyers, Blackhawks, Islanders and Oilers. They all wear uniforms that are "a product of *their* time" and they are excellent uniforms even to this day. If they can do it, why can't Toronto? Don't get me wrong, I agree with others on here that their current jerseys are fine and dandy but I think their home and away jerseys are a bit empty looking with the thin stripes. It isn't a big deal but I prefer their previous look nevertheless. One thing I like about it is that I find that the extra white on the old jerseys looks really good on the Leafs' shade of blue and vice versa. Speaking of the Leafs, I think they should at least get a new third jersey since their current one is so similar to their home jersey. The Winter Classic jersey would be an excellent choice right now.

I never was a fan of that look. Maybe for a future Winter/Heritage classic it would look cool. But not full time... Their set is perfect as it is right now

2017 would be a good time to wear it.

Unlike the Habs in their anniversary celebrations, I think the Leafs don't really have that many variants of their uniforms. The logo does morph every now and then, but except for the St. Pats look it's going to be blue and white throughout.

Yeah, so they'll probably wear 3 or 4 throwbacks(if they do). As long as they don't wear their first Edge set in the process...

Chris Botta of Sports Business Journal, who has some very tight ties with the Isles, says that will be the case.

Also, Tom O'Grady's Gameplan Creative will be working with the team to develop its alternate Brooklyn identity/3rd jersey when the team moves to Barclays Shoebox in 2015.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So, what? The Stadium Series jersey will be the third for only a single season?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

No, what they need to do is rearrange the striping on the blue jerseys. It should be blue-white-orange-blue, like the jerseys they wore during the Stanley Cup years.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Pointless... They don't even need a third jersey to begin with. Just straighten out the sleeve stripes on the current primaries and you have the perfect Islanders look.

Morgo, I completely agree with you there. Their uniforms are awesome but damn, those stripes need to be straightened, that's for darn sure. They look very awkward the way they are. I bet they will eventually ruin their look once they move to Brooklyn sadly. :( Hopefully they won't. It sounds like they aren't but for how long.

Pointless... They don't even need a third jersey to begin with. Just straighten out the sleeve stripes on the current primaries and you have the perfect Islanders look.

Morgo, I completely agree with you there. Their uniforms are awesome but damn, those stripes need to be straightened, that's for darn sure. They look very awkward the way they are. I bet they will eventually ruin their look once they move to Brooklyn sadly. :( Hopefully they won't. It sounds like they aren't but for how long.

Well, Charles Wang is reportedly trying to sell his stake in the team, so hopefully the new owner doesn't try to make a big splash and screw things up.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

So, what? The Stadium Series jersey will be the third for only a single season?

Not quite because they have used it a few times this season so next year would be its second year in use.

Well, Charles Wang is reportedly trying to sell his stake in the team, so hopefully the new owner doesn't try to make a big splash and screw things up.

Why can I see Gorton's Fisherman already? :( One can only hope that the new owner leaves their look alone.

As long as they fix the stripping on their stadium series jersey, that's fine, otherwise i hate that jersey

I agree with you on the striping. Compared to their black 3rd that's thankfully on its way out, it is an improvement but I do agree, it isn't great either. Since it sounds like they are only going to wear it for next year, I'd be shocked if they changed anything. It looks like a practice jersey and the white nameplate does not help it either. The stretched numbers look bad on normal ice too. Don't even get me started about the cutoff stripes. For the purpose of the Stadium Series, the jersey makes sense, even though it isn't very good. For a one time thing like the Stadium Series, the futuristic look was cool to see and wearing it for a couple games after makes sense. I think that when you bring out a special jersey for an Outdoor game, you should wear it for at least one more game. With the move to Brooklyn, I can see why they would keep it and scrap their black jersey until they move but I also agree that they don't need a third jersey at all.

Archived