2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

I think diagonal script jerseys work great when the team nicknames aren't easily depicted by a logo, and I think that's true at all levels

I think that's a good way to think about it. The "Tex's Rangers" pun would imply some kind of Western theme, but it really wouldn't work for New York City. Same problem the Bills have, except they had the Buffalo/buffalo shortcut to take advantage of.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway, there have been two things that I have noticed in the Playoffs so far that I'm surprised that they haven't been mentioned very much or not at all. The first thing is that I have noticed that the numbers on the Canadiens' white helmets don't have the huge white gap like the numbers on the actual jerseys have. I wonder if this is a sign that the Habs will put the full numbers back on their road jersey. I'm not sure if that would be an official jersey change cause the actual design of the jersey wouldn't be altered though they are changing the look of the jersey if they did that. .

the gap is there, but very thin
I'd just like to comment on your username. How were the Expos robbed exactly? By a player's strike that their players were a part of? Also how do you know they would have one ANYTHING? The Red Sox last year (and they were only tied for it) were merely the 4th team with the best record since 1989 to win the World Series. Also the National League team with the best record has never won it all since the Wild Card began. The odds the inexperienced Expos would have been that team? Quite low, it must be admitted.

Also the striping on the Rangers' units aren't that bad I guess. I dunno though, I guess the little gap between the stripes bothers me. Even though I know the red and blue would bleed together, I'd rather they just have one blue stripe and one red stripe. But I'm not a fan of the inconsistency (someone mentioned. Montreal's, theirs bugs me too) and the out of place red pants don't fit with a primarily blue team. Truth be told, I think the Rangers should just

74-40 that is all

Exposgotrobbed94.png

Never Forget 1994

expostimeline.png

Lincecum Eephus Pitch

To be fair, every other team that has tried to emulate that look has failed miserably... Save maybe Pittsburgh.

Isn't the original Avalanche alt universally appreciated or does it just seem that way because it is a gem compared to the garbage alt they have now?

To be fair, every other team that has tried to emulate that look has failed miserably... Save maybe Pittsburgh.

There are like four teams that have tried that look.

Pittsburgh - looks great

Colorado - The original one is a great alternate, the modern one is pretty bad though

Cleveland Barons unused - Pretty good

Buffalo Memorial logo - Used for one game, and it's pretty good as well

Actually, NYR should use the NEW YORK logo on their away jersey.

As per this websites Twitter page, it is on the shoulder

Bo-s0cXIAAAxF2r.jpg

Good. I wish it was there for all teams every year.
That would be tricky for teams with alternate logos ;)

Not really. Just make them drop one of their shoulder logos. Done.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

i personally think the avs original maroon alternate is one of the best sweaters of it's era, and easily the best look the avs have ever had.

if i didn't have a moral objection to wearing an avs sweater, i'd totally buy one.

Colorado-Avalanche-Maroon-Alternate-Jers

hardly "failed miserably" imo

^I forgot about that early Avs sweater. Much better than the one they wear now. Though in saying that I'd still rather not see teams other than the Rangers use it. Just doesn't seem right.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

i personally think the avs original maroon alternate is one of the best sweaters of it's era, and easily the best look the avs have ever had.

if i didn't have a moral objection to wearing an avs sweater, i'd totally buy one.

Colorado-Avalanche-Maroon-Alternate-Jers

Love the colours, but ever since someone here pointed out that the hem and elbow stripes didn't match it sorta soured me on the uniform.

I looked it up and apparently the Avs played against the Rags wearing their script alts:

Gabriel+Landeskog+New+York+Rangers+v+Col

How often does that happen in the Edge era? I mean it's probably a lot more common when the Penguins had the diagonal script fulltime, but only the Bolts and Avs use diagonal scripts in alts, right?

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

lots of beloved uniforms don't have the hem stripes match the arm stripes. the expansion senators uniforms being a prime example... the classic sabres being another example... the blackhawks home jerseys... the new winnipeg jets... all really nice looking uniforms, all with mismatched sleeve/waist stripes.

hell, at least it HAS waist stripes. am i right? :)

Actually, the stripes do match.

112a5035a112ff13.jpg

Think of the purple elbow stripe as part of the main jersey and not a stripe at all. The Black-Blue-White and White-Blue-Black are two sets of stripes. And they look just like the waist stripes if you look from top to middle and bottom to middle, respectively. Besides the bottom black stripe, they are also to scale.

lots of beloved uniforms don't have the hem stripes match the arm stripes. the expansion senators uniforms being a prime example... the classic sabres being another example... the blackhawks home jerseys... the new winnipeg jets... all really nice looking uniforms, all with mismatched sleeve/waist stripes.

hell, at least it HAS waist stripes. am i right? :)

Also this.

Don't the Red Wings away, the Habs home, and the Habs away just from the original 6.

It probably has to do more with the choking in the playoffs than anything but the Sharks had their equipment sale and it usually goes like this..

Day 1: Sharks employees

Day 2: STH/Pack holders

Day 3: Public sale..

Usually when the public sale comes around nothing is left but socks and crappy sticks.. This year they had tons of pants and gloves left. Makes me wonder if there is going to be a change to the pants and or gloves or fans are just sick of disappointment.

When your palette consists of contemporary colours like burgundy, black, silver and blue, they likely aren't going to work well on a retro inspired design. The lack of contrast between the black and maroon parts, that are inexplicably touching, make for a poor design in my opinion. The main set from that era used the colours in a much more effective way producing what I think is their best look. Particularly the white version below.

fiht.jpg

i'm a firm believer in "what looks good, looks good," though... yeah, the maroon bleeds into the black, but sometimes it's okay for colors to interplay in that way without every contrasting and standing out. not ever element has to stand out. some elements should be allowed to blend, if it looks good.

two examples i can think of:

the buffalo bills using navy right next to their royal blue. it doesn't stand out. it gives it a bit of a shaded shadow gradient affect from far away. i think it looks pretty good.

the edmonton oilers of the 90's/2000's, where they had copper and red touching. it gave it a bit of an over-sharpened photoshop appeal that i think really worked, and alluded to orange without ever using it.

i think the black touching the maroon just gave the jerseys a little bit of subtle depth, without highlighting every stripe as it's own marquee event.... that's just my highly unpopular opinion though.

like i said, if it looks good, it looks good. i don't care if some details appear muddy from a distance. the important details (wordmark, name, number, basic striping pattern, drawstrings) stood out without any problems at all.

According to Darren Rovell, the NHL's online store had Rangers jerseys with the Stanley Cup Finals patch listed at $64 in error. The retail price should've been $200. The NHL could've cancelled all the orders, but they decided to honor the price.

That would be a great deal if only I didn't hate the Rangers with every fiber of my being.

Still, classy move by the NHL to honor the stated price.

The diagonal text works on the Rangers jerseys, it just does. It may have something to do with the fact that their primary logo is bland, boring, and looks horrible on a sweater.

42783_01_lg.jpg

According to Darren Rovell, the NHL's online store had Rangers jerseys with the Stanley Cup Finals patch listed at $64 in error. The retail price should've been $200. The NHL could've cancelled all the orders, but they decided to honor the price.

Damn, if only I had known. I would've swooped in on one.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Actually, the stripes do match.

112a5035a112ff13.jpg

Think of the purple elbow stripe as part of the main jersey and not a stripe at all. The Black-Blue-White and White-Blue-Black are two sets of stripes. And they look just like the waist stripes if you look from top to middle and bottom to middle, respectively. Besides the bottom black stripe, they are also to scale.

So if you took out the burgandy stripe on the arms, then the stripes would match? If you put a burgandy stripe on the hem, they'd match too.

In the end, they really don't match.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

A small tidbit to pass along on the Blues' front. This from a Q & A published today that St. Louis Post-Dispatch Blues beat writer Jeremy Rutherford had with team Chairman Tom Stillman:

Q: There's been fairly strong speculation that the Blues will change their uniforms for the 2014-15 season. Is that true?

Stillman: Yeah, I think we should break some news right here. We're going back to the clown uniforms (with the diagonal red stripes that the Blues wore in the mid-1990s.).

Q: Your smile tells us that you're kidding about that. So is it true? Will there be a uniform change?

Stillman: Let's talk about that another time.

This after last week when the team store was giving away free lettering/numbering with any jersey purchase.

Archived