2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back during a Ducks/Sharks game in early April or something, the geniuses that be at CSN California decided that, for all the images that surely exist of Teemu Selanne wearing either a primary Mighty Ducks sweater (white or eggplant) or a Ducks sweater (any of them), that one of the above images was best:

YES.png

because when I think of Teemu, I think of him in THAT sweater! Jeez.

spacer.png

Back during a Ducks/Sharks game in early April or something, the geniuses that be at CSN California decided that, for all the images that surely exist of Teemu Selanne wearing either a primary Mighty Ducks sweater (white or eggplant) or a Ducks sweater (any of them), that one of the above images was best:

YES.png

because when I think of Teemu, I think of him in THAT sweater! Jeez.

"Hey guys, we should use a good picture of Teemu."

"Should we use one where he has the Stanley Cup?"

"Nah man, this one will be much better!"

Damn, what kind of drugs did they use...

I fail to see how those are "glorified practice jerseys." They put a unique spin on a classic hockey element (the yoke), and the miniscule use of yellow really pops. The color balance as a whole is fantastic.

I've never liked the diagonal stripe set. The hem stripe made the sweater feel cramped and intruded into any 2-digit number. I also didn't like how they emphasized jade, which in my opinion is too close to the color that the Kings should be wearing (purple). I will say that even those aren't as bad as the Edge monstrosities, with that horrible wordmark, the even worse color scheme, and the hem stripes getting cut off on one side by a useless panel.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I also didn't like how they emphasized eggplant, which in my opinion is too close to the color that the Kings should be wearing (purple).

Fixed, assuming you were referring to the Ducks purple :P

Personally I think the original eggplant jersey got it right in terms of colour balance. Doesn't stray too far into Kings territory either as its a very different shade of purple and use of colour scheme. Now, if they went with the black and eggplant alternates full time, that really would be too similar. At least, in terms of what the Kings had before the black and silver 2.0 era.

That green Ducks third though, it's just not aesthetically pleasing to me. Adding yellow was one thing, but the shiny silver striping and lack of any white was too much. Pair that with the black pants (and helmet?) they were using at the time and you've got a hot, ugly mess. Even the Wild Wing, as atrocious as that was, made better use of a primarily green colour scheme than the '97 jersey did.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

I also didn't like how they emphasized jade, which in my opinion is too close to the color that the Kings should be wearing (purple).

Wait - do you mean Eggplant?:

AnaheimMightyDucks_FRC_2006_SCC_SRGB.png

I have some major news. On the NHL's website, ALL THREE St. Louis Blues jerseys have been put on sale. It looks to me like their third jersey may also be on its way out. Am I the only one who thinks it's a half-decent alternate jersey?

I have some major news. On the NHL's website, ALL THREE St. Louis Blues jerseys have been put on sale. It looks to me like their third jersey may also be on its way out. Am I the only one who thinks it's a half-decent alternate jersey?

According to a local store near me, the current owner hates the logo on the alternate jersey. They tried to order merchandise with the alternate logo and were only able to get it on some t-shirts. They were basically told the owner didn't want it used on much merchandise.

Just looked, and there's an extra 30 percent off closeout merchandise, so there's an opportunity to get a really cheap jersey.

I've never liked the diagonal stripe set. The hem stripe made the sweater feel cramped and intruded into any 2-digit number.

Yet you gush over the Stars' all-star rip-offs, which had the same problem.

I also didn't like how they emphasized eggplant, which in my opinion is too close to the color that the Kings should be wearing (purple).

First off the Kings don't wear purple, so it's a moot point. Secondly, your solution is a sweater that emphasizes jade, which is close to the teal used by the Ducks' other in-state rivals, the Sharks.

The sale thing finally has me believing the Blues might be making some sort of a change. We'll see.

The alternate is indeed "half-way decent". And that's about where I'd cap it. Frankly, I'd say the same thing of their regular uniforms, but they arrive at that judgement in two completely different ways. None of their jerseys suck but none of them are particularly good.

Fortunately, the Blues have a great logo, a great color scheme, and a great history of jerseys (not necessarily a history of great jerseys) from which to draw inspiration, so if they are making a change, hopefully they'll get it right.

As we've previously discussed in this thread, they could go back to what they had from about 1998-2005 and immediately have great uniforms. If they did so with just a couple of small tweaks, they might flirt with perfection.

The sale thing finally has me believing the Blues might be making some sort of a change. We'll see.

The alternate is indeed "half-way decent". And that's about where I'd cap it. Frankly, I'd say the same thing of their regular uniforms, but they arrive at that judgement in two completely different ways. None of their jerseys suck but none of them are particularly good.

Fortunately, the Blues have a great logo, a great color scheme, and a great history of jerseys (not necessarily a history of great jerseys) from which to draw inspiration, so if they are making a change, hopefully they'll get it right.

As we've previously discussed in this thread, they could go back to what they had from about 1998-2005 and immediately have great uniforms. If they did so with just a couple of small tweaks, they might flirt with perfection.

To me, 1979-84 would be "flirting with perfection." I'm not too big a fan of having essentially two different primary logos (one navy and one royal). Perfection would, in my humble opinion, be a royal/yellow/white color scheme with the traditional striping and yolks yokes (sincere thanks, admiral) of the 1979-84 jerseys.

Yokes. Yokes, yokes, yokes. We're not making omelettes here.

I wish we were, though! I made a feta and bacon omelette the other morning and it was really good.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yokes. Yokes, yokes, yokes. We're not making omelettes here.

I wish we were, though! I made a feta and bacon omelette the other morning and it was really good.

I honestly have gone 22 years on earth (almost 9 of them as a member of the CCSLC) having not realized that there is a distinct spelling difference between the-yellow-part-of-an-egg-yolk and the-striping-that-exists-on-the-shoulders-of-hockey-jerseys-yoke. For that, I am ashamed. Curse you English language!

Good riddance to the worst - yes, the absolute worst* - Edgified monstrosity the league was cursed with. The NHL will be a better place without you.

*Yes Morgo, even worse than Calgary's ;)

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived