WHL 1989 (postseason p.3, teams finished p.2)

JCRGraphix

Up next are the 3rd place finishers from the European Division, the Helsinki Lions. The Lions used their draft picks to load up on Finnish talent. Their scoring was led by Esa Tikkanen and Jari Kurri with Kari Takko starting the majority of the games in net.

lions.png

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Up next we have the New York Americans, led by Pat LaFontaine and Mike Gartner. The goaltending was split between Jon Casey and Mike Liut, who was a Broda Award Nominee. The Americans' jerseys are based on the 1980 US Olympic team.

americans.png

BRODA%2Bliut.png

Next from the Canadian Division are the Toronto Toros. The Toros had a particularly poor season going 14-22-2 for last place in the Canadian Division. They were led in scoring by Gary Leeman and Vincent Damphousse. Sean Burke played the majority of the games between the pipes.

TOROS.png

Up next from the Soviet Division are the Kiev Knights. Led by the scoring of Ramil Yuldashev and Anatoly Stepanischev, and the goaltending of former Olympian Vladimir Myshkin, the Knights went 9-27-2 to finish 4th place in the Soviet Division.

knights.png

Next, we go back to the states. The New England Minutemen, who play their games in Boston, had a poor season finishing 11-21-6, which was good enough for last place in the American Division. The Minutemen were led in scoring by Rick Tocchet and Brian Bellows. Ken Wregget played the majority of New England's games in net.

MINUTEMEN.png

Next up from the European Division are the Berlin Bears. They get their name and colors from the city's coat of arms. They were led in scoring by German native Uwe Krupp and Paul Coffey. Peter Sidorkiewicz got the majority of the starts between the pipes.

bears.png

Overall nice series, but I have a couple of things that I want to say.

Moscow: Nice concept, but the team o the stars would probably have just stars, not a hammer and sickle. The capital city does not always have to represent the nation, especially when you have st. Petersburg in this concept as well. Also, with Czechoslovakia still being communist, they probably would not represent the HOLY Roman Empire since communism does not always like religion. (By that, No communist country accepted religion at all.)

Up next are the Oslo Vikings. Due to poor goaltending and not much in the way of scoring either, the Vikings finished the season with the league's worst record. Greg Millen got most of the starts in net, and scoring was led by Bernie Nicholls and Pierre Turgeon.

VIKINGS.png

Up next from the Soviet Division are the Minsk Wheels. Minsk is known as a major production site for trucks, tractors, gears, and other vehicles, hence the name. The colors are taken from the Belorussian flag. The Wheels finished in last place in the Soviet Division and next to last place in the league. Despite winning the fewest games, Minsk had 2 more ties than Oslo, so they ended the season with more points. The Wheels were led by the goaltending of Andrei Trefilov and the scoring of Valeri Kamensky and Andrei Kvartalnov.

wheels.png

Great additions with Boston, Berlin and Vancouver. I like the consistent identities and recognizable color schemes. I think Minsk's primary logo falls a little short creatively. I would try playing with the wheel. Going along with @Htown1141's idea of the capital city does not always have to represent the nation, maybe you could incorporate a hammer and a sickle into Minsk's wheel.

Really cool, thank you. I'm waiting for the missing teams.

An overview about the teams we know until now, and a the missing cities in my opinion:

Soviet Division

- Moscow Stars

- Leningrad Admirals

- Prague Emperors

- Kiev Knights

- Minsk Wheels

European Division

- Stockholm Jazz

- London Kings

- Helsinki Lions

- Berlin Bears

- Oslo Vikings

American Division

- Houston Apollos

- Los Angeles Bombers

- New York Americans

- New England Minutemen

+ Chicago (Cougars)

Canadian Division

- Calgary Cowboys

- Montreal Maroons

- Toronto Toros

- Vancouver Sharks

+ Ottawa (Nationals)

Ideas for an expansion:

+ Gorky, Novosibirsk or Riga

+ Paris or a team from Western Germany (Cologne)

+ Detroit (Michigan Stags)

+ Edmonton

I'm looking for the next Posts from you.

I went back and forth on this one, but decided that in 1989, Ottawa would draw from its rich history and bring back the Senators identity.

The Ottawa Senators finished the season 4th in the Canadian Division with a record of 14-17-7. They were led in scoring by Glenn Anderson and Cam Neely and by the goaltending of Don Beaupre.

senators.png

Our last team, the Chicago Cougars, finished first in the American Division, led by league scoring leader Brett Hull and Patrik Sundstrom. The Cougars also did well because of the excellent goaltending of Bill Ranford.

cougars.png

Up next are the playoffs and award winners...

Archived