Custom Football Tips/Advice Thread--Share Your Pictures!

dsaline97

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As in one already put together? Yea, what was said above. If you're looking for a blank, there's many places. Thrift stores, high schools, eBay, wherever. I purchased two from my alma matter for $50 for the two.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Okay thanks guys. Right now a mini helmet seems more reasonable... or maybe the local high school has some of their blank white helmets not in use.

Doesn't have to be white, or blank. Stop by AutoZone and pick up some primer and paint for about $5 each. I couldn't get the right finish on mine, but I'm sure there are other people that are much better painters than me that could help with that problem.

ojNNazQ.jpg

Okay thanks guys. Right now a mini helmet seems more reasonable... or maybe the local high school has some of their blank white helmets not in use.

Doesn't have to be white, or blank. Stop by AutoZone and pick up some primer and paint for about $5 each. I couldn't get the right finish on mine, but I'm sure there are other people that are much better painters than me that could help with that problem.

Oh yeah well I meant they use white helmets and some of them have numbers, some don't.

But yeah, I might be able to do that.

My biggest issue with auto paint is that the humidity had to be just right (below 60 or 65) for my finish to not be cloudy. I have better luck with Rustoleum and Krylon, but you have a much bigger variety of colors with car paints.

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

My biggest issue with auto paint is that the humidity had to be just right (below 60 or 65) for my finish to not be cloudy. I have better luck with Rustoleum and Krylon, but you have a much bigger variety of colors with car paints.

(I never worried about the conditions outside of rain...Maybe that was my mistake...)

Mine came out more flat/matte than glossy. Maybe I didn't sand it enough, I'm not sure. My Auburn helmet actually started chipping with the UnderArmour visor tabs, so I placed some golf club "ghost tape" where the tabs make contact with the shell.

ojNNazQ.jpg

I went through a phase (while I was unemployed and bored) where I made a dozen or so custom mini helmets for concepts and fantasy teams. I forget who my supplier was, but they were good with riddell helmets, facemasks, and striping.

I had a harder time with getting custom logos printed on actual decal material and I eventually just made them at a sign print shop that I used to work for and I had to settle for a different sticker material. Most places require a group order. If anyone knows a good printer who is cheap and doesn't make me buy 30 of the same decal that would be great.

PvO6ZWJ.png

(I never worried about the conditions outside of rain...Maybe that was my mistake...)

Mine came out more flat/matte than glossy. Maybe I didn't sand it enough, I'm not sure. My Auburn helmet actually started chipping with the UnderArmour visor tabs, so I placed some golf club "ghost tape" where the tabs make contact with the shell.

Even when I painted with favorable conditions I would sometimes get chipping around the edges. Never had a problem with Rustoleum though. I'm working on a new helmet and trying to use Liquitex spray paint. I'll see how that performs.

When I need a helmet painted I call around to the local body shops. When I had one of my helmets painted black a local guy was already shooting black and was able to do my helmet for $35. He did helmets for a teacher of mine and was able to beauitfully match Minnesota's old paint for a helmet and only charged him $40.

I have a friend who's family owns a body shop and he helped me with one of mine. He didn't paint it, but helped with some other things. I plan to have him help me paint a Navy helmet during the Christmas break.

ojNNazQ.jpg

I literally have a couple trasbags full of helmet shells and I have two big boxes full of facemasks if anyone would be interested in them I could part ways with them if you're willing to cover shipping. They're taking up way too much space and need to get rid of them. I have all the inner "guts" of the helmets and chinstraps too. If you want pictures let me know.

I literally have a couple trasbags full of helmet shells and I have two big boxes full of facemasks if anyone would be interested in them I could part ways with them if you're willing to cover shipping. They're taking up way too much space and need to get rid of them. I have all the inner "guts" of the helmets and chinstraps too. If you want pictures let me know.

That's mighty nice of you! I'd take you up on it, but I already have a bunch on hand. If I added anymore, the wife would kill me.

Archived