Custom Football Tips/Advice Thread--Share Your Pictures!

dsaline97

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

I just started doing full size helmets maybe 6-7 months ago and really enjoy it. I am working on doing my entire fantasy football league but also have done 2 concept helmets. One for Illinois Fightin Illini and one for the Cleveland Browns that I have posted pics of below.  I usually just get my helmets at the thrift store and I don't have any issues spray painting the facemasks.  I must say I think most of your guys helmets are far superior, but I thought I would share anyway.  As I get some of my fantasy league helmets completed I will post as well.

IMG_8543.JPGIMG_8545.JPGIMG_8547.JPGIMG_8548.JPGIMG_8550.JPGIMG_8553.JPG

16 hours ago, hoyt432 said:

I just started doing full size helmets maybe 6-7 months ago and really enjoy it. I am working on doing my entire fantasy football league but also have done 2 concept helmets. One for Illinois Fightin Illini and one for the Cleveland Browns that I have posted pics of below.  I usually just get my helmets at the thrift store and I don't have any issues spray painting the facemasks.  I must say I think most of your guys helmets are far superior, but I thought I would share anyway.  As I get some of my fantasy league helmets completed I will post as well.

Hey man, those are pretty darn good.  Especially considering you are new at this.  Good work.

I've mentioned on here before that I've had a hard time painting facemasks, but I think it just boils down to one bad experience I had when I was new at this whole thing.  I had to paint one for a current project I am working on and it turned out pretty good.  So I guess the lesson for me is to not be afraid to try something again...

yellow_2bar.jpg

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

Painting facemasks is tough because the paint doesn't want to adhere to the powder coating of the masks, so once they're painted, you have to be pretty careful with them.. I've done everything from sanding to priming and just can't get a good coat of paint to stick beyond the requirements of a display-only helmet, but since that's what we're mostly doing here, it's an ok solution

I meant to mention this last week and got sidetracked. I have found if you use an automotive primer, like Dupli-Color, you can then use any standard spray paint for facemasks without any issues. For the old school plastic masks any spray or airbrush paint will work.

2 hours ago, logoman said:

I meant to mention this last week and got sidetracked. I have found if you use an automotive primer, like Dupli-Color, you can then use any standard spray paint for facemasks without any issues. For the old school plastic masks any spray or airbrush paint will work.

Never knew that about automotive primer.. I've used regular spray paint primer, and the paint/primer just didn't adhere like I would've liked.. It definitely served the purpose of being a "mockup" helmet, but even the clips peeled the paint as I installed them

Archived