UAB shuts down football (and the end of the mid major)

We all knew this would be the outcome and this is hardly breaking, but it's now official

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11967626/uab-blazers-shut-football-program

Now i know this is discussed in other college football topics on this site (and lock this if it needs be), but i thought it was noteworthy for its own topic due to the fact this is the first fbs football team to shut down since Pacific in 1995 and it looking like the beginning of the end of the mid major in college football.

While UAB quitting is due to both losing money and University Of Alabama Board Of Trustees and Paul Byrant Jr. putting down the program any time it could because it isn't Tuscaloosa, how far are we from the Power 5 separating completely from the mid majors or even the ncaa or not playing the mid majors for sos playoff reasons and not giving them the payout they need to run the programs? Alot of programs are losing money now, how long can the mid majors last in the top fbs level or at all, especially if without the payouts to fund the whole athletic program they receive now? They will shut down, this is just the first domino, coming earlier then we all thought.

This is a landmark day. This is the start of the end of the mid major in college football, and only to me the end of college football in general. Another great thing killed by the Power 5 conferences and greed.

All that matters is love, love, your love...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to have to see it happen somewhere else first. The big headline in this event is that UAB was under the same controlling interest that oversaw Alabama's program, making it nothing more than an extra chore to keep up. It's why they never got the off-campus stadium they wanted, or the head coach they wanted (doesn't make sense) and more. But not all programs are controlled this way. I see a lot of FCS and mid-major FBS schools with great foundation. How much do payout games contribute to department revenue?

And, can emerging media and contracts possibly save the teams, conferences? Media is only getting bigger.

At Kennesaw State, we've not even played a game of football yet, but our funding and finances are heading in the right direction.

I'll need to dig deeper, but I'd say to think that mid major football is heading downhill is a bit of a slippery slope, though not outside the realm of possibility.

I do hate to see what happened at UAB. I know some great kids from my alma mater who played there, and that program was held back by an disinterested board.

I kind of feel like you're blowing this a tad bit out of proportion. Sure FBS is losing one team, but look at all the up and coming programs that have just begun their tenures as full scholarship programs. 15 years ago would you have considered teams like Utah, TCU, Louisville, or Boise State (granted their not in a "Power 5" conference, but they were going to be in the Big East) as major football programs?

Just like everything else in this world things change. It's not the end of mid major college football (hell is the AAC a mid major now?) or college football as we know it.

Now that being said, I do think we could be on the long road to where the power conferences continue to expand and eventually break off in the future. Course we have been heading towards that ever since the SWC disbanded and Miami moved to the ACC.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

As someone who has no vested interest in college football whatsoever, I hope this is the beginning of the end for this money-bloated facade.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Between (1) paying college athletes and (2) youth and high school football in danger of decline due to brain-injury issues, both looking like stronger possibilities all the time, and (3) Power 5 teams going for stronger non-conference schedules (meaning mid-majors and "cupcakes" can no longer pimp themselves out to them for payday games), I get the feeling UAB will be just the first of many college football programs to die off.

CCSLC signature.png

Just created a dynasty with UAB for the last time today. Let's just say I'll be scheduling Bama every year just so I get some moral revenge.

If the Power 5 completely separated from the rest of FBS, I would just watch the rest of the FBS. And hopefully more FCS games would be on TV. There's no need for those programs to be that money hungry. Let's hope it doesn't happen. I don't see it happening anytime soon (if at all) especially with, like mentioned before, all the new programs on the rise.

I don't really think this is "the end" for mid-majors. For every UAB, there has been a Boise State. It's going to need to happen somewhere else for it to convince me. We've seen teams just build a program in a large-medium size market (UTSA and Georgia State) and schools like Boise State rise to prominence by getting to a BCS Bowl game, and getting on national TV against prime-time competition, and leaving there mark on college football. While the Broncos aren't as good now, they recruit well for a mid-major, and are a consistent contender in the Mountain West (Arguably the best mid-major conference out there) in the post-Kellen Moore and Chris Peterson days. UAB was held back by a board that really didn't have that much of a vested interest in football.

Hell, I honestly would like to see the Power 5 break away and have their own thing, pay their players, and not have to deal with the NCAA's shenanigans. These small schools could still get games with the big teams, an Alabama could probably get 80,000 to show up for a scrimmage against UAB. It's pretty much what the SEC schools do now right before a big game, even though the game counts (Bama played against Western Carolina this year before the Iron Bowl). The Power 5 could take the money and essentially have an NFL development league team around campus. The small schools could play (well) for the love of the game.

I don't think the mid-majors will break off, at least not as rapidly as depicted, they'll always have their place in college football. They'll keep the "amateur" around in the sport.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

I don't really think this is "the end" for mid-majors. For every UAB, there has been a Boise State. It's going to need to happen somewhere else for it to convince me. We've seen teams just build a program in a large-medium size market (UTSA and Georgia State) and schools like Boise State rise to prominence by getting to a BCS Bowl game, and getting on national TV against prime-time competition, and leaving there mark on college football. While the Broncos aren't as good now, they recruit well for a mid-major, and are a consistent contender in the Mountain West (Arguably the best mid-major conference out there) in the post-Kellen Moore and Chris Peterson days. UAB was held back by a board that really didn't have that much of a vested interest in football.

Wait, the University of Alabama Board of Trustees isn't that vested in football???

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Wait, the University of Alabama Board of Trustees isn't that vested in football???

Not for UAB.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

There are a number of excellent reasons for institutions of higher education to discontinue sponsorship of football, not the least of which is the money many smaller schools lose. That said, this doesn't seem truly motivated by anything.

In fact, this seems to be more of a reflection of the ugliness that exists in high-level football rather than a logical move to combat it.

It's too invested in football at UAT that it kills off other teams that could take a small amount of money away from it. UA-Huntsville had its hockey team taken away from the same board a few years back, though it was eventually revived.

Just created a dynasty with UAB for the last time today. Let's just say I'll be scheduling Bama every year just so I get some moral revenge.

If the Power 5 completely separated from the rest of FBS, I would just watch the rest of the FBS. And hopefully more FCS games would be on TV. There's no need for those programs to be that money hungry. Let's hope it doesn't happen. I don't see it happening anytime soon (if at all) especially with, like mentioned before, all the new programs on the rise.

The need for live programming will assist in keeping "mid-major" football going to a point with the revenue, but Group of 5 ratings are not good at all.

The MAC just started a 13 year contract and both CUSA and the MWC will be up for renewal before 2017, so both should see an increase per school. The majority of these schools double dip (or triple) from their student population with tuition (which goes into the General Fund, which athletics get a share), student athletics fees (which they get 100% of) and often the right to purchase tickets as well, specifically for football, on top of the athletics fee.

At least when I was a student at UA, UAB was known for three things, having the only medical school in the UA system, being a commuter school and having a decent basketball team. Their football team was always an afterthought and covered on the local news (B'ham stations) as such. You saw highlights from a Troy State game with maybe a mention of the UAB score. You'd even hear more about the Birmingham CFL team than you did about the Blazers. I don't think that a large portion of the student body went to the games either. I'd love to see the number of student tickets sold per season.

Still, both UA and Auburn could have had an annual game with UAB over the Western Carolina/Coastal Carolina/UL-Monroe's and even Southern Miss' of the world. I think Auburn only played UAB once back in '95 or '96. Maybe it would have helped UAB's bottom line.

That said, it would have been nice to see UAB become a larger scale program but given the history I don't think there is enough room in Alabama for a third team. I hope this doesn't mean the end of the basketball program is in the foreseeable future. It's a sad day for the Blazers and a sad day for Legion Field which will see even less than the nearly non-existent maintenance it already did.

It's too invested in football at UAT that it kills off other teams that could take a small amount of money away from it. UA-Huntsville had its hockey team taken away from the same board a few years back, though it was eventually revived.

I've never heard the University of Alabama ever referred to as UAT only UA. UAB and UAH are the schools where the first letter of the city name is used in their initials.

At least when I was a student at UA, UAB was known for three things, having the only medical school in the UA system, being a commuter school and having a decent basketball team. Their football team was always an afterthought and covered on the local news (B'ham stations) as such. You saw highlights from a Troy State game with maybe a mention of the UAB score. You'd even hear more about the Birmingham CFL team than you did about the Blazers. I don't think that a large portion of the student body went to the games either. I'd love to see the number of student tickets sold per season.

Still, both UA and Auburn could have had an annual game with UAB over the Western Carolina/Coastal Carolina/UL-Monroe's and even Southern Miss' of the world. I think Auburn only played UAB once back in '95 or '96. Maybe it would have helped UAB's bottom line.

That said, it would have been nice to see UAB become a larger scale program but given the history I don't think there is enough room in Alabama for a third team. I hope this doesn't mean the end of the basketball program is in the foreseeable future. It's a sad day for the Blazers and a sad day for Legion Field which will see even less than the nearly non-existent maintenance it already did.

I've never heard the University of Alabama ever referred to as UAT only UA. UAB and UAH are the schools where the first letter of the city name is used in their initials.

It's jokingly reffered to as that by some people around here. Pokes fun at them a bit, though it technically could be correct.

I think you have over blown the situation here. What happened with UAB stinks and, yeah, the Board of Trustees have blood on their hands for their part of killing off the program.

But, for every program that has failed there are others that have been successful. Boise State, Marshall, Georgia Southern. Heck, there was a time when TCU and Utah were mid-majors before they got their invite to be in a Power 5 conference.

There's always going to be room for teams that the FBS level. If not, then there is the FCS level. In that same vein, there will always be the case of big brother wanting to do everything in their power to make sure they don't have any more mouths to feed. Same thing happened when Nebraska-Omaha (or Omaha, if you want) dropped football and wrestling for their move to Division I. Many felt that the big wigs in Lincoln killed off UNO football because of that fear (despite the fact that there is another member of the Nebraska system, Kearney, has a football program).

Don't know how to post YouTube from my phone, but there's a video of the players' reactions to the cancelling of the program. The video is heartbreaking and I won't be the first to say it brought me to tears seeing the reactions. If anyone is willing to post the video, please do, because I think it would be great if we all saw how the players truly feel about this.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Don't know how to post YouTube from my phone, but there's a video of the players' reactions to the cancelling of the program. The video is heartbreaking and I won't be the first to say it brought me to tears seeing the reactions. If anyone is willing to post the video, please do, because I think it would be great if we all saw how the players truly feel about this.

It's not heartbreaking since they and those women who bowl or are on rifle team still have scholarships which will be honored.

For tears, go to al.com

But the old man needed campus cops to protect him.

UABPresident_zps90ba6537.jpg

Dude in the light blue is clearly starting to say the F word.

It's not heartbreaking since they and those women who bowl or are on rifle team still have scholarships which will be honored.

For tears, go to al.com

Yes, but some of those players who are walk ons are pretty much screwed. Also guys who just aren't as good, but on scholarships will have a hard time. Sure I bet a lot of them go and play at FCS schools, but still. Its gotta be tough on everyone involved.

If you watch the video and see the emotion of the player talking about his son, it is just so sad when a child can be so innocent and ignorant to a terrible situation like this.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

http://youtu.be/eAvSuQEh6lI

Just the link, but it's the one you're talking about

For tears, go to al.com

Yes, but some of those players who are walk ons are pretty much screwed. Also guys who just aren't as good, but on scholarships will have a hard time. Sure I bet a lot of them go and play at FCS schools, but still. Its gotta be tough on everyone involved.

If you watch the video and see the emotion of the player talking about his son, it is just so sad when a child can be so innocent and ignorant to a terrible situation like this.

Those who are walkons can now actually earn money to pay off loans and a plus will not take blows to the head and possibly lessen their chances to develop CTE.

Archived