Grid Iron Minimalist Illustrations

BrandMooreArt

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great work! And a smart idea to logo-fy photos. When I see this kind of thing, it amazes me how the brain automatically fills in the detail that has been simplified or eliminated. Is it just me or do the ones on darker backgrounds look better? Luck is my favorite so far.

yea i think the dark backgrounds are best too. even this far into it i'm still learning something new with each one. i'll probably go back on Emmanuel Sanders and do a blue jersey/bg on that one

Maybe you could give a quick explanation on the process of making one of these? Would like to try my hand at it.

sure. would love to see what others can do.

1. my first step is making the background color match what ever the primary color is in the uniform. i've deviated away from that some, but basically, i dont want any huge blocks of color, so with the football players, jersey = background

2. i set the photo on it's own layer at about 40% opacity. under that is my working layer. i zoom out so the player is about 4 or 5 inches tall to rough in some key shapes. working that small lets me eliminate any unnecessary details and do the most important thing; create the image with as little information as possible. above all else, its an exercise in Gestalt theory. i go back in close after and tighten up the curves/points

3. i dont have any rules for colors, but generally im doing whatever i need to make the jersey and helmet look like the real thing. i would not skip a color in the uniform just to make it more minimal. i did that with Mariota, and think it's the weakest one because of that. so i guess the best way to look at it is to use all the colors you need to, but as few shapes as possible

4. keep your light source. it's best to draw in the shadows (or illusion of shadows) than to draw a flat shape.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Maybe you could give a quick explanation on the process of making one of these? Would like to try my hand at it.

sure. would love to see what others can do.

1. my first step is making the background color match what ever the primary color is in the uniform. i've deviated away from that some, but basically, i dont want any huge blocks of color, so with the football players, jersey = background

2. i set the photo on it's own layer at about 40% opacity. under that is my working layer. i zoom out so the player is about 4 or 5 inches tall to rough in some key shapes. working that small lets me eliminate any unnecessary details and do the most important thing; create the image with as little information as possible. above all else, its an exercise in Gestalt theory. i go back in close after and tighten up the curves/points

3. i dont have any rules for colors, but generally im doing whatever i need to make the jersey and helmet look like the real thing. i would not skip a color in the uniform just to make it more minimal. i did that with Mariota, and think it's the weakest one because of that. so i guess the best way to look at it is to use all the colors you need to, but as few shapes as possible

4. keep your light source. it's best to draw in the shadows (or illusion of shadows) than to draw a flat shape.

Thanks, definitely going to take a shot at this stuff soon. Very cool style to do.

Archived