Grid Iron Minimalist Illustrations

BrandMooreArt

"Larry"

FKm18fF.jpg

This looks good. If you have time, I think the pants could use some edits so they look like football pants and not kapris. Maybe add some shadow for the pads.
Brandon could tell you for sure but I think adding shadows would defeat the purpose of using minimal colors and detail to convey the image.

EDIT: Actually nevermind that. I see he did manage to sneak in leg pad shadows in some others without adding another color. But Im not sure Fitzgerald wears leg pads.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decided to take a stab at this. I did a Trumaine Johnson. I did it a little different then you, as I first traced all my colors, and then after I finished tracing them I lowered the opacity and took away some of the coloring for shadows. I used photoshop, but i still think it came out pretty good.

wJqgBoT.png

Hope you don't mind me posting.

StLouisCardinals.png

CowboysClassic_zpsb3d9923d.png

#9 LSU vs. TCU

"Larry"

FKm18fF.jpg

This looks good. If you have time, I think the pants could use some edits so they look like football pants and not kapris. Maybe add some shadow for the pads.
Brandon could tell you for sure but I think adding shadows would defeat the purpose of using minimal colors and detail to convey the image.

EDIT: Actually nevermind that. I see he did manage to sneak in leg pad shadows in some others without adding another color. But Im not sure Fitzgerald wears leg pads.

just going by the light source the photos give me. from that angle the pads dont show up as clearly as folds in a jersey might.

@STLCards - you've got the right idea there. more detail than i've been putting in but looks good.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

"Big D"

jQX5DHN.jpg

this was one of the more challenging ones because theres no really great way to do the background. every color seems to clash in some way. i didnt really want to do another one on a navy bg but kind of stuck with it here i think. i have to say looking at a lot of pics of Murray, he reminds me a lot of Emmitt. just a very photogenic player that looks athletic and strong in every photo, and his equipment is very similar. tell me this couldnt be Emmitt with the number 22 on the jersey!

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Great job on my boy Alshon. Before I requested him I looked for a good pic of him making a circus catch but couldn't find a good shot. He's great after the catch though, so the shot you used fits well.

yea i dont know if it's showing through or not but i'm trying to go with photos that represent each player well or is in some dynamic pose, but the head and torso have to be turned a certain way (want to be able to read front numbers or logo) and it has to be in the right jersey. ive been tempted to do some throw-back or alternate unis but think most people will appreciate the standards more

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Can you post a side-by-side example of ones of the graphics you've done? I'd love to see the comparison.

you mean the photo next to the illustration? heres the one i used for Murray

hi-res-7e63283bd6d45080a8523301e44d90c8_jQX5DHN.jpg

Yep, exactly like that. It's very interesting to see the 2 side by side and see what you chose to include and what you chose to kind of ignore.

gYH2mW9.png

Archived