Illinois Fighting Illini logo concept-UPDATED

mcrosby

I've been considering doing something like this for a while now, and I thought I'd finally put pen to paper.

The U of I athletics were given the "illini" name in honor of those Illinois residents that fought in WWI, and the university has distanced itself from the Native American imagery for the past few years.

I wanted to make a nice Doughboy logo, but keep the Chief's face from their old logo. I will be updating the face to clean it up a bit and will likely add some shading as well. For now, let me know what you think of the idea.

8o7wHLr.png

I'd shrink the white outline a bit to make the helmet stand out more. A chin strap might take away from the rest of the logo. you may want to add some type of shading to the helmet to give the appearance that it's metallic, possibly by trimming down the white portions on the top of the helmet.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

How bout the actual helmet from a WWI Doughboy that says its WWI?

helmeted.jpg

I understand what it's SUPPOSED to be. I'm just telling you what it looks more like, especially with that face.

Your eyes must be broken cause I don't see a point on the top of the helmet.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

So it went from a Morgan freeman to an Asian I mean no disrespect but you look at some soldiers faces from ww1 or just do something that you feel represents Illinois

It's supposed to represent Chief Illiniwek (spelling?) and teh Soldiers who earned the moniker Fighting Illini.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

How bout the actual helmet from a WWI Doughboy that says its WWI?

helmeted.jpg

I understand what it's SUPPOSED to be. I'm just telling you what it looks more like, especially with that face.

Your eyes must be broken cause I don't see a point on the top of the helmet.

Sure, there is no point on the hat... but everything else looks similar or the same. The face looks like it has an Asian heritage to it when couple with that sort of hat.

Also, I'm not sure how well a cross between Native American culture and American Armed Forces mix.

Archived