TheFallenHaveRisen

What If?: NFL Further Simplifies It's Brand

HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION: February 1st, 2015, Roger Goodell gives his State of the League address. At the end of it, Goodell announces that the NFL has decided to eliminate all different shades of colors, giving the reason that they "danger the brand identity of the NFL: (BS, I know). Picture yourself as an employee at the office of the NFL, you have been tasked with deciding what exact shade each color will have, with the only requirement being it must have been used previously by a team in the league.
Blue:
Brown:
Green:
Grey:
Orange:
Purple:
Red:
Yellow:
Now, members of SportsLogos.net, which shade of each color would you pick, bearing in my every team in the NFL would need to pick one of these 8 colors if they want to use something besides Black and White, which would be the standard one used by every team right now

Uh why would having one team using a different shade of, say, blue, damage the brand identity of the NFL?

Uh why would having one team using a different shade of, say, blue, damage the brand identity of the NFL?

Does he not go on to state that it's complete bull? Also, the first two words state it is a HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION?

Does he not go on to state that it's complete bull? Also, the first two words state it is a HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION?

Quit yelling, I just didn't think the "hypothetical situation" was very logical. But then again, in the NFL anything can happen with Roger Goodell.

That's hard. I can't think of a single shade of blue, red, or Orange that would benefit every team that uses it.

Patriots: Blue

Bills: Blue

Jets: Green

Dolphins: Orange

Steelers: Black

Ravens: Black

Browns: Orange

Bengals: Orange

Titans: Blue

Colts: Blue

Texans: Blue

Jaguars: Black

Chargers: Blue

Raiders: Gray

Broncos: Orange

Chiefs: Red

Cowboys: Blue

Giants: Blue

Eagles: Green

Redskins: Red

Packers: Green

Lions: Blue

Bears: Orange

Vikings: Yellow

Panthers: Black

Falcons: Red

Saints: Black

Bucs: Red

Cardinals: Red

Rams: Yellow

49ers: Red

Seahawks: Blue

Patriots: Blue

Bills: Blue

Jets: Green

Dolphins: Orange

Steelers: Black

Ravens: Black

Browns: Orange

Bengals: Orange

Titans: Blue

Colts: Blue

Texans: Blue

Jaguars: Black

Chargers: Blue

Raiders: Gray

Broncos: Orange

Chiefs: Red

Cowboys: Blue

Giants: Blue

Eagles: Green

Redskins: Red

Packers: Green

Lions: Blue

Bears: Orange

Vikings: Yellow

Panthers: Black

Falcons: Red

Saints: Black

Bucs: Red

Cardinals: Red

Rams: Yellow

49ers: Red

Seahawks: Blue

The question isn't what color each team would use, it's what color would be the standard (for example) Red of the NFL

Blue: 1998 Oilers

Brown: 1960 Broncos

Grey: 2012 Seahawks (technically silver)

Orange: 2004 Bengals

Purple: 1986 Vikings

Red: 2009 49ers

Yellow: 1970 Redskins

February 1st, 2016, Roger Goodell gives his State of the League address. At the end of it, Goodell announces that the NFL has decided to eliminate all different shades of colored people, giving the reason that they "danger the brand identity of the NFL: (BS, I know).

Sounds like a job for the Concepts forum.

Yeah.

So the idea is that the league will only allow a single shade of blue...red...green...? Wait, you forgot green!

Making the Redskins and Chiefs look identical would help the league's brand? What happens with royal blue vs. navy blue teams? Who gives up their identity, the Bills and Giants or the Texans and Broncos?

I'll play along though:

Blue: More teams use navy than royal and powder blue, so it must be navy.
Brown: Only one obviously, Cleveland's current brown.
Grey: Going to change this to the Raiders silver.
Orange: Denver's orange crush jersey color for all teams using orange.
Purple: Vikings current jersey color.
Red: Going to go with a darker shade of red, but not the Skins' burgandy. The Cardinals red could look decent on all red teams and not look so bad on the Redskins.

Yellow: Must be the athletic gold used by the Packers and Redskins.

If no green is being used, the Packers will go back to the gold/navy Acme scheme, the Eagles go red, black and silver, the Jets go navy with white. Seattle would be navy and silver, maybe throw purple in for their third color that their logo requies?

Eagles could go:

20120823_061823_081309-KP-bermudian-spri

(Bermudian Springs HS in York Springs, PA)

OR

logo-dover.png

(Dover HS in Dover, PA)

If this was done, I'd recommend the Skins change to this helmet:

preview_6473812.jpeg

Seattle goes with a silver helmet with blue and purple logo:

3020_l.gif

Or we could just use one shade of green; the Eagles would actually be improved by switching to the same that the Jets and Packers use.

i'm guessing that omitting green was just an oversight, but that raises further questions...

when you say different shades of each color are no longer allowed, what bout in-between colors like the dolphins aqua? would it be considered blue or green? or could it exist as a color choice because it's really neither blue or green?

and if it can't exist because it's a "combination" of existing colors, then what about any other secondary or tertiary color?

what if we had an all-primary-color league?

how would teams' identities look then?

anyway, that's just my food for thought.. but now to take a stab at how i'd redo the league:

Blue - Colts current blue (darker than the older "royal" blue, could be a makeshift navy or makeshift royal by whoever needs it)

Red - Cardinals current blue (as stated before, safe middle ground for red teams while adding enough shade to respect the redskins)

Yellow - Packers current yellow (to me, this is the truest and purest "athletic gold" out there)

Purple - Vikings current purple (very safe true shade of purple)

Orange - Bengals current orange (named after an orange animal, the Bengals have always had a solid shade)

Green - Packers current green (seems to be the truest green currently in the NFL, while still darker than kelly, which satisfies Jets and Eagles)

Grey - Giants current grey (looks great on their pants and looks close enough to match grey mask wearing teams, avoids need to "paint" helmets)

Brown - Browns current brown (obvious reasons)

Silver - Panthers current silver (I'd be ok seeing a single shade of silver available, Panthers is the most sparkly)

Gold - Saints current gold (I'd be ok seeing a single shade of gold available, I prefer Saints gold to 49ers gold)

Bills: Blue/Red

Pats: Blue/Red

Jets: Green/White

Dolphins: Orange/Green/Blue

Colts: Blue/White

Jags: Black/Green/Yellow

Titans: Blue/Red

Texans: Blue/Red

Steelers: Black/Yellow

Ravens: Black/Purple/Yellow

Browns: Brown/Orange

Bengals: Orange/Black

Chiefs: Red/Yellow

Broncos: Blue/Orange

Raiders: Grey*/Black

Chargers: Blue/Yellow

Cowboys: Grey*/Blue

Redskins: Red/Yellow

Eagles: Green/Black

Giants: Blue/Red/Grey

Saints: Black/Yellow*

Falcons: Black/Red

Bucs: Black/Red/Orange

Panthers: Black/Blue/Grey*

Packers: Green/Yellow

Vikings: Purple/Yellow

Bears: Blue/Orange

Lions: Blue/Grey*

Rams: Blue/Yellow*

Cardinals: Red/Black

Seahawks: Blue/Green/Grey

49ers: Red/Yellow*

It would be interesting to see some of these mocked up.. at least on a helmet if not full-uniform...

I went and took every shade of Red, Orange,Yellow, Green, Blue and Purple in the NFL and I'm going to average them together to get the official shades.

And then I guess I'll start recoloring the league

Okay, by averaging everything the values I got was

Red : #B6132B
Orange: #EA5A0D

Yellow: #E5B836

Green: #236650

Blue: #0B3865

Purple: #301D63

For averaging purposes the Teals of Jacksonville and Miami went to green instead of blue and only the Yellow Star in the Steelers Logo counted towards the color.

tumblr_ngapmn1zkg1rb8m1do1_1280.png

The Rams, 49ers, Saints and Buccaneers look way better. The Dolphins look the worst in the new system. (There was no way to do their double teal and not look awful) I took some liberties with the Titans to try and help it read better. The new Washington logo won't make any friends to be sure.