Hand-Drawn New Orleans MLS Logo Concept

jstogasterisk

I've been doodling around in class lately for a concept logo for a fictional New Orleans-based expansion franchise in MLS. This is what I've come up with so far. The name I chose is Riverside New Orleans. I was reading about the history of soccer in the area and in the late 1800s-early 1900s (can't remember exact dates) there was a successful club called simply "Riverside," so I thought it was unique and sounded good so I went with it. The gold siding is based off of street markers on Canal St. The stripes of red and white come directly from the city flag. The shape of the crest is just an elongated hexagon. The French Football Federation's logo is in a normal hexagon, so I felt it would be a nice touch to add that shape (sort of) as a nod to the French influence in the city. C&C appreciated. Thanks.

LogoConcept.jpg

I don't think your intent was to use the star to signify a championship, but that's the implication of having a star in that area of a soccer logo. Also, don't have the soccer ball look like a volleyball; just because that was done in antiquity does not mean it has to be done now. Make it look like a soccer ball. Other than these two things, I would say good work. The striping meant to evoke the city flag is a brilliant idea, and the crest shape is striking and unique.

Thanks! The star is there just to show what it would look like with a star, nothing to do with the crest itself. The fleur de lis is just a product of my poor drawing lol. I'll work on that and switch the ball. I could draw the old style ball better than the normal soccer ball. Appreciate the feedback.

Here's an update. I changed the ball and tried to fix the fleur de lis. I didn't quite get the top aligned perfectly (noticing that as I post). I also left the star, just because I needed practice with stars and I just like to pretend that this is a winning team. Hopefully this at least makes it a little bit better.

LogoConcept2.png

Just for references, these were the influences on the crest design:

Influence1.png

Influence2.png

Influence3.png

Good start. I'm digging the name as well. Personally, I prefer the old-style ball. I think it works well with the gold accents around the edges. The updated ball looks to out of place for my liking. I would also probably lose the star given its symbolism above crests in soccer.

gYH2mW9.png

I think the problem with the fleur-de-lis is that the "stem" takes up too much of its total height. You can't really move it down because that would leave too much negative space in the logo, but maybe make the "arms" of the fleur-de-lis slightly longer and curve farther down.

Definitely like the concept, just nitpicking.

CottonBowl_zpsc664d73a.png

4vAzk2u.png

Star championship signature credit to packerfan21396

Archived