What If Every League Simplified Its Brand [Continued from TheFallenHaveRisen]

SplashBoogie

I cannot stress this first part enough: the idea of this series came from a thread by TheFallenHaveRisen.

I chose to post here so I didn't hi-jack his thread and also some comments mentioned this would have worked more in the Concepts tag so here it is. If I have erred I apologize.

Okay so on to it. In the Original Thread the question was posed "What if the NFL simplified its brand so that every team used the same colors. What shades of Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue and Purple would each team use?" And there are definitely different ways to come up with these shades. My method? Take every team logo and average their colors to get a unified color for each of the seven shades. Which led to this:

tumblr_ngapmn1zkg1rb8m1do1_1280.png

But now I couldn't just leave it alone with just that so I went ahead and did the NBA as well but trying something different: I split the blue into two categories--light and dark--to alleviate a problem I had in the NFL with the Titans (the logo only reads right with two blues)

I can talk more about my methodology later but here's the NBA that I did with the seven shades on the sides.

tumblr_ngdqim54ND1rb8m1do1_1280.png

I think Boston, Charlotte and New Orleans take big steps forward. But what do you think? And if you had to come up with a method for unifying the colors what would you choose? And what logos do you like in the new system?

And now to work the NHL

tumblr_p3eoj4gyq71ufhi8uo1_1280.png

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

Now the Redskins logo looks even more racist. Other than that it's not as bad as I expected. I really like the Titans and the Pelicans

Yeah Washington isn't gonna make any friends with that update. The Pels are one of my favorite updates. I think I just like the bright gold instead of metallic gold because I like the new St. Louis Rams too.

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

tumblr_ngdxdmOrje1rb8m1do1_1280.pngWith the NHL I split yellow in two groups because there's a distinct difference in use between beiges/wheats (muzzle on the Yotes / outline on the Wild) vs Gold used with the Bruins

Also I did the averaging here different. Early on the shade of red the Wings, Canes and Blue Jackets use were dominating the color list so I decided to only use each shade once in my calculations. I learned Red/Yellow/Blue is big in Hockey and nobody uses Purple (thanks Kings)

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

Well, I have to admit, the league doesn't look nearly as different as I thought it would.

The NBA disappointed me a bit with how similar the colors were. I am strongly considering going back and doing a unified blue to shake things up.

Then the Grizzlies would look...

Oh.

tinysig.jpg

AFC. Recolors are on the right. Originals on the left

tumblr_nge0igvCBN1rb8m1do1_1280.png

tumblr_nge0oseJNM1rb8m1do1_1280.png

tumblr_nge0vc7Zbd1rb8m1do1_1280.png

tumblr_nge1a00N0v1rb8m1do1_1280.png

Does looking at them side-by-side help show the differences subtle or otherwise?

I would try the red on the Titans one to replace the white part I think that would look a lot better.

The only ones to me that is a downgrade is the Dolphins & Chargers the rest I do not believe would be bad at all.

Quite frankly, I'm not a fan of this recoloring, because I find the colors all the various teams been using fine and unique the way they are. In my view, the recoloring results of the San Diego Chargers, Miami Dolphins, Tennessee Titans and Cincinnati Bengals are even massive downgrades. I think it's just not working because your recoloring process is almost based on a mathematical routine and therefore lacking individuality. But that's just my two cents.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

Quite frankly, I'm not a fan of this recoloring, because I find the colors all the various teams been using fine and unique the way they are. In my view, the recoloring results of the San Diego Chargers, Miami Dolphins, Tennessee Titans and Cincinnati Bengals are even massive downgrades. I think it's just not working because your recoloring process is almost based on a mathematical routine and therefore lacking individuality. But that's just my two cents.

Well that's what this whole thread was about, and him and the guy with the original idea said it was a "what if" scenario.

I find it really interesting that we all talk and stress unique color schemes, but in the end this just goes to show that you can simply by the amount the color is used, how the color is used, and what it's matched up with that I feel really matters. Honestly the only won I found looking weird was the Dolphins, and I think the TItans and Chargers actually look better. Especially the Chargers. I hate how the little bit of light blue, when sandwiched between navy and yellow, sometimes looks green from a distance.

A couple other notes I take away from this is that the Pelicans really need to change their vegas gold to a more athletic gold/yellow, and the NHL needs to ditch some blue somewhere and add purple.

I would be interested in seeing the MLB treated the same way.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Archived