ASU leaving Nike for adidas

gdu

Ouch... my condolences, ASU fans.

It will be a lateral change at best. Bad move, ASU. Bad move.

How is at a bad move to swap ugly Nike uniforms for ugly Adidas uniforms, only Adidas pays you more money?

The Nike uniforms weren't ugly at all. The Adidas uniforms will be.

The Nike uniforms were absolutely ugly, but that's because 1) they were primarily black, which isn't a school color; and 2) the left Sparky off the helmets in favor of the shrimp fork. The gradient numbers are awful, but the font itself is a run-of-the-mill modern rounded font. Go with solid color numbers (with an outline!), bring back Sparky and lose the black and the Nike uniforms would have looked about as good as they can make a modern uniform. The Adidas shoulders are awful, but at least they don't have gradient numbers.

On what planet were these "primarily black"?

kb4v4Ai.jpg

DgXkNEx.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know he was talking about these. Come on.

1406310244000-USATSI-7591657.jpgcutoutWEB21_online.jpg

arizona-state-football.jpgL169_CIFR592599adbbdac0b7cd0b211695845cb

Those are primarily black, and it feels like they wear it as often if not more often than they wear their regular school colors. Google Arizona State football and you see mostly black.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Those are alternates, though. By that logic, anyone that wears BFBS uniforms is "primarily black."

For a lot of schools, there is no such thing as an "alternate" anymore. They just mix and match piece by piece. The way ASU integrates black, it is firmly a regular part of their rotation.

Those are alternates, though. By that logic, anyone that wears BFBS uniforms is "primarily black."

For a lot of schools, there is no such thing as an "alternate" anymore. They just mix and match piece by piece. The way ASU integrates black, it is firmly a regular part of their rotation.

Exactly. ASU wears black for what feels like a majority of their games. I don't know if that's actually true, but every time I see them they're wearing some form of black. So, it's different from other schools that have just a BFBS uniform. ASU football in recent years has been primarily black.

And even if they weren't primarily black can we all agree that Arizona State doesn't need any black uniforms?

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't know 100% who, but I have been told that at least two other "Power-5" conference schools are on the verge of making the same switch. One was described to me as a "total stunner."

Oregon.

In all seriousness, word on the street is Miami.

Are the deals with Nike really that bad that everyone wants to switch? Completely ignoring the actual product side (uniforms/designs), is it really that financially beneficial to switch from Nike to Adidas? I'd be interested to see how these contracts work.

Schools that would be mid-tier schools for Nike can get paid more than the top Nike schools by switching to Adidas.

Here are the top 10 contracts for Nike:

KRD9Nms.png

And the top 10 for Adidas:

Ooi4rP9.png

Arizona State for example, was a $2.11 million contract with Nike. Their new deal is worth approximately $4.25 million a year with Adidas.

I wonder if the manufacturer makes a difference in actual recruiting?

The manufacturers and their aesthetic most definitely have some kind of influence. Some kids grew up being a fan of a certain brand and I am sure that factors into their decision if they had to choose between an Adidas and a Nike school. That's 4-5 years of their life that they are required to wear a certain brand (on and off the field). For some, that matters.

Go A's!

Exactly. ASU wears black for what feels like a majority of their games. I don't know if that's actually true, but every time I see them they're wearing some form of black. So, it's different from other schools that have just a BFBS uniform. ASU football in recent years has been primarily black.

And even if they weren't primarily black can we all agree that Arizona State doesn't need any black uniforms?

Here's ASU's football unis last year, minus the Sparky helmet vs Arizona (which, btw, the decals were switched on the helmet last minuted in the middle of the night before the game. The Equipment team even tweeted out a photo of the helmets with pitchforks on them the day before.)

B3InF1UCEAAJsPw.jpg

12 different combos. Three games with black (Fire/Black/Black, Black/White/Black, Black/Maroon/Black) plus Desert Fuel Gray/Copper uni against Notre Dame.

So eight out of 12 games with no black parts of the uniform. 2/3 of the games without black. That's a super majority no black uniform elements.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

For a lot of schools, there is no

such thing as an "alternate" anymore. They just mix and match piece by piece. The way ASU integrates black, it is firmly a regular part of their

rotation.

Exactly. ASU wears black for what feels like a majority of their games. I don't know if that's actually true, but every time I see them they're

wearing some form of black. So, it's different from other schools that have just a BFBS uniform. ASU football in recent years has been primarily black.

Random fact: Before this calendar year starting in 2011, ASU always wore a form of black whenever they played Arizona in football or basketball.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Also, it's shocking that Oregon barely makes the list of top paid programs by Nike.

Not really. That's just the value of the contract. Because of their relationship with Phil Knight, Oregon gets a whole lot more from Nike than what in the dollar value of the contract.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I don't know 100% who, but I have been told that at least two other "Power-5" conference schools are on the verge of making the same switch. One was described to me as a "total stunner."

Oregon.

In all seriousness, word on the street is Miami.

Are the deals with Nike really that bad that everyone wants to switch? Completely ignoring the actual product side (uniforms/designs), is it really that financially beneficial to switch from Nike to Adidas? I'd be interested to see how these contracts work.

I was going to reply that no school would be a stunner for me...forgot about Oregon though! That would be a shock. Once Michigan went to Adidas, I figured just about anything was possible.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Here's ASU's football unis last year, minus the Sparky helmet vs Arizona (which, btw, the decals were switched on the helmet last minuted in the middle of the night before the game. The Equipment team even tweeted out a photo of the helmets with pitchforks on them the day before.)

B3InF1UCEAAJsPw.jpg

12 different combos. Three games with black (Fire/Black/Black, Black/White/Black, Black/Maroon/Black) plus Desert Fuel Gray/Copper uni against Notre Dame.

So eight out of 12 games with no black parts of the uniform. 2/3 of the games without black. That's a super majority no black uniform elements.

The point still stands that there is no "primary home" or "primary away" set anymore. It is all mix and match. There are no alternates because there is no longer a primary.

This is a crappy move.

However, I think they could have some nice uniforms if they make the pitchfork vertical along the shoulders like TAMU's jerseys.

Also, I will be disappointed if Miami goes to Adidas. They have a great identity in every other sport except football. If they go back to the 80's and 90's uniforms, they'll have one of the best all around identities in the NCAA.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Since the Nike rebrand, I don't feel ASU has used black any more/less than any other school incorporating BFBS.

B42Wwi6CcAA3Qhr.jpg

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Archived