Teams That Should Relocate/Relocation Destinations

JerseyJimmy

I have a stupid question. How much of the NYC/Long Island/CT marketplace do the New Jersey Devils actively seek to do business with?
Islanders moving to Brooklyn, while not leaving Long Island proper, seems to be ripe for a boost in the next few years. If they're a perennial playoff team, along with the Rangers, will the Devils be completely & utterly shut out of that coverage? Or have they always been so regardless?

I have a bias that I hate the Devils & I hope they fail & move to Quebec City which will of course never occur.

My perception of Newark is that it's a dead zone.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Devils' problem is that they're branded as New Jersey's team. No one who self-identifies as a New Yorker will root for a team that embraces New Jersey when you have two New York-based teams to choose from.

The Devils' problem is that they're branded as New Jersey's team. No one who self-identifies as a New Yorker will root for a team that embraces New Jersey when you have two New York-based teams to choose from.

Do they even have much traction in-state? Another perception is everyone South Jersey or whatever is probably a Flyers fan? Just feels like an aimless team that draws some fans, does okay on tv, & yet no one loves??

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

New Jersey, from what I understand, is split north-south into a giant suburb of NYC and a giant suburb of Philly. The Devils seem like they've been trying to be northern New Jersey's team, but that immediately puts them into contention with the Isles and Rangers. There's obviously room for a team in that market that represents New Jersey above all else. The Devils have been around for a while. I'm just nor sure that market will ever be large enough to escape the shadow of the Isles and Rangers' fanbases. I don't see them moving. Too big of a following to move, too small of a following to really capture the hearts and minds of their larger market.

I wonder if the Isles move will impact the Devils fanbase? Brooklyn and Queens probably have about as much relation to NJ as to Uniondale. Now that the team is in Brooklyn, I'd guess that there won't be any new Devils fans in NYC (then again, maybe there never were any)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

No, the connection between Brooklyn/Queens and Uniondale, tenuous as it may be, is much stronger than any connection to NJ. For Queens, its in the neighboring county. For Brooklyn, at least it's on the right side of the river.

I don't know that there has ever been any real number of Devils fans in the city. There are certainly more Islander fans, although they've always seemed a distant second to the Rangers. Maybe this will move that needle.

New Jersey, from what I understand, is split north-south into a giant suburb of NYC and a giant suburb of Philly.

You are absolutely correct. We are almost all Flyers fans down here. The north has mainly Rangers fans. The Devils just kind of exist. Sure there are fans of the Devils spread out down here, but not a large number by any means.

That's the thing with New Jersey. It has the misfortune of being stuck between two large cities, with those markets bleeding over the state lines. So many people identify with those cities, it can make a Jersey-named team a hard sell.

I know the Nets struggled to find an audience even when they were good - I once bought walk-up tickets to an NBA Finals match, for crying out loud.

That's also why the Red Bulls will never go just "Jersey" even after the Austrian overlords sell.

Speaking as a New Jerseyan and a (casual) Devils fan, it is fair to say that the Devils indeed have some traction in-state. I am from the Shore, about half-way between New York and Philadelphia. The Devils are definitely the most popular hockey team. I know many fans who have routinely made the hour+ trek to the Rock, but it is difficult to so on a regular basis. If anything, Newark may be the issue. Then again, it's hard to imagine a better place to put a team. Personally, I would much rather drive through the pine barens to Philly to see Devils/Flyers than deal with public transportation or the nightmarish North Jersey portion of the parkway/turnpike on the way to Newark.

Tampa Bay Everybody Loves Rays

Go 'Nova | Go Irish

How would Jersey City have been as a location? I understand Jersey City has really been on the rise the last ten or fifteen years and doesn't have the bad reputation Newark still has.

I once posted here that the Devils did best around central Jersey (the Brunswicks, Amboys, Jersey Shore), kind of Jersey qua Jersey, while Bergen County still had a lot of Rangers fans and South Jersey was Flyers country. Then people yelled at me and told me I was absolutely wrong. So I don't know.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Speaking as a New Jerseyan and a (casual) Devils fan, it is fair to say that the Devils indeed have some traction in-state. I am from the Shore, about half-way between New York and Philadelphia. The Devils are definitely the most popular hockey team. I know many fans who have routinely made the hour+ trek to the Rock, but it is difficult to so on a regular basis. If anything, Newark may be the issue. Then again, it's hard to imagine a better place to put a team. Personally, I would much rather drive through the pine barens to Philly to see Devils/Flyers than deal with public transportation or the nightmarish North Jersey portion of the parkway/turnpike on the way to Newark.

Which shore? From my experience, the south shores (OC, Sea Isle, Avalon, etc.) are primarily Flyers fans, while LBI (Harvey Cedars, etc.) are split, with maybe a slight edge to Phila. Anything north of that I'm not familiar with. AC is pretty split despite being south.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

From what I saw taking NJ Transit one Sunday when the Devils had a home game, the North Jersey Coast line (Long Branch to Elizabeth at least) was looking kinda Devils territory. Over to the west in the Brunswicks/Edison area seems to be a Devils/Rangers split from the friends I know from there.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

NJ is the most densely populated state in the country - which is understandable when you consider the whole state is essentially one gigantic suburb.

I always thought the Devils could conceivably build a stadium in Morris County; far enough away from New York to really distinguish themselves from the Isles and Rangers.

NJ is the most densely populated state in the country - which is understandable when you consider the whole state is essentially one gigantic suburb.

I always thought the Devils could conceivably build a stadium in Morris County; far enough away from New York to really distinguish themselves from the Isles and Rangers.

I think I know where the Devils should relocate to.

hell-froze-over-400x221.jpg

Which city/metropolitian region in NC would be able to sustain a MLB team?

Charlotte

Raleigh

Greensboro

Winston-Salem

I was thinking that would be a good home for a relocated Tampa Bay Rays.

I dunno. Charlotte seems by far the most likely, but why do you think there is one in NC?

Raleigh has a smaller corporate sector but doesn't have the NFL to worry about. I dunno, six carpetbaggers of one, half a dozen carpetbaggers of the other.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Both Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham have interesting points to each. I'd prefer Durham just to see the Durham Bulls in the MLB but Charlotte is the more populous area.

Inb4 Mac makes an essay explaining why Durham should get the team. :P

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Archived