Teams That Should Relocate/Relocation Destinations

JerseyJimmy

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Easy, if a baseball team moves(especially the rays) it should be to Montréal.

I would go so far to say that, if it were the case, that the Nationals should become an American League team(like the senators of old) and that the Expos should take their rightful place as a National League team

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Easy, if a baseball team moves(especially the rays) it should be to Montréal.

I would go so far to say that, if it were the case, that the Nationals should become an American League team(like the senators of old) and that the Expos should take their rightful place as a National League team

Nah, Montreal-Toronto division schedule would be awesome (not least healthy rivalry during rough economic patches).

Montreal-Boston would also be a f'ing AmAzInG new baseball rivalry. Could you imagine if one day Red Sox fans began despising Expos fans more than Yankee fans? Just have a few Habs & Bruins throw out some opening pitches...

Tampa, just shut your doors already & make this happen... you're not fooling anyone.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Can we just... stop with this whole 'these-two-cities-have-a-rivalry-in-one-sport-so-that-means-they-have-a-built-in-rivalry-for-another-sport!!!!" thing? It's a load of BS.

I think other sports are set up for city rivalries if they are in the same division as the prominent rivalry. Once they are in different conferences or divisions...no rivalries really exist. For example, Eagles/Cowboys is a good rivalry. Sixers/Mavericks or Flyers/Stars have never been filled with hatred.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

There is a guy that's been in Jax radio for years. He is also a Rays fan and knows some of the higher ups in the organization. He says the best kept secret in sports is happening right now. He claims the owner is negotiating with Montreal right now. Can't tell you if he is full of it or not, but certainly the scenario is very possible

There is a guy that's been in Jax radio for years. He is also a Rays fan and knows some of the higher ups in the organization. He says the best kept secret in sports is happening right now. He claims the owner is negotiating with Montreal right now. Can't tell you if he is full of it or not, but certainly the scenario is very possible

Given the continued attendance woes in Tampa, the lack of movement toward a new stadium... This seems very plausible. Provided Montreal starts on their own ballpark. I can't see MLB approving a move from middle aged dome to an old crappy dome with no guarantee there will ever be a stadium.

Yahoo Sports had a front page story about Tampa moving to Montreal all day yesterday. I laughed it off becomes it seems super improbable.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Is there a demand for baseball in Montreal though?

I've always heard that most of the baseball fans in Montreal have been traditionally Anglophones who have been migrating out of Quebec.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Yahoo Sports had a front page story about Tampa moving to Montreal all day yesterday. I laughed it off becomes it seems super improbable.

Yahoo blog:

http://es.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/montreal-mayor-to-meet-with-rob-manfred-about-bringing-baseball-back-025212957.html

In reaction to this Canadian Press story on CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/m/sports/baseball/mlb/montreal-s-denis-coderre-to-confer-with-mlb-commissioner-1.3077434

I've always heard that most of the baseball fans in Montreal have been traditionally Anglophones who have been migrating out of Quebec.

Right. The influx of European/North African immigrants has increased the popularity of soccer, and further strengthened Quebec's #1 pastime, smoking.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's all for naught if there's no plan for a stadium in Montreal.

Still, the fact that the league has softened their stance to the point where all they need to see is a plan (when previously they were expecting a ballpark to be built in advance) is a good sign for Montreal.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Must be more than there is in Tampa-St. Petersburg. They practically sold out the 4x Blue Jays spring training games past 2 seasons.

Bell will likely be the majority owner, as Rogers owns the Blue Jays. They could each do whatever they want on their own dime & networks across Canada without having to share or fit each other in their respective coverages.

Besides, Montreal has more people now than when the Expos left, & the Impact + Alouettes won't exactly get in the way of comfortable attendance.

Only issue is I've heard lack of downtown space where once they proposed Molson Stadium. That would scuk if they build out in the boonies.

@2001mark

Must be more than there is in Tampa-St. Petersburg. They practically sold out the 4x Blue Jays spring training games past 2 seasons.

Bell will likely be the majority owner, as Rogers owns the Blue Jays. They could each do whatever they want on their own dime & networks across Canada without having to share or fit each other in their respective coverages.

Besides, Montreal has more people now than when the Expos left, & the Impact + Alouettes won't exactly get in the way of comfortable attendance.

Only issue is I've heard lack of downtown space where once they proposed Molson Stadium. That would scuk if they build out in the boonies.

You mean Labatt Park. Molson Stadium is where the Alouettes play. There are skyscrapers and other development going up constantly. I went up in the summer of 2013 and again in the winter of 2014 and the area around the Bell Centre (which is where the park was going to go) was completely changed. They actually had to take out the Habs' statues to make room for other expansions. There are other spots in and around downtown where it could go, though. But location is vital. It's a very pedestrian city, and fans aren't going to go to a park built in the burbs or outskirts.

I do generally think there's an interest. Fans completely packed the O for two games in each of the last couple of seasons. I know it's only 2 games a year, but if fans generally didn't care about baseball, they wouldn't have gone. It's not like it was Jays vs Red Sox or Yankees or Cubs, etc. It was against the Mets and Reds.

sig.png

I do generally think there's an interest. Fans completely packed the O for two games in each of the last couple of seasons. I know it's only 2 games a year, but if fans generally didn't care about baseball, they wouldn't have gone. It's not like it was Jays vs Red Sox or Yankees or Cubs, etc. It was against the Mets and Reds.

They seemed to realize also it was a free dress rehearsal for MLB, & they weren't going to brush it off.

@2001mark

I thought that as long as the Rays' lease was a thing (take that!), a move was a non-starter.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived