Teams That Should Relocate/Relocation Destinations

JerseyJimmy

I want an NBA team back in Buffalo, but I know it'll never happen. Plus, while I havent been to any at FNC, FNC looks from pictures like a TERRIBLE place to watch a basketball game

Only if the Sabres ever moved or folded, in which case the NBA would probably be wary of substituting in. Pittsburgh doesn't even have an NBA team.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want an NBA team back in Buffalo, but I know it'll never happen. Plus, while I havent been to any at FNC, FNC looks from pictures like a TERRIBLE place to watch a basketball game

Only if the Sabres ever moved or folded, in which case the NBA would probably be wary of substituting in. Pittsburgh doesn't even have an NBA team.

Teams can coexist, like the Raptors/leafs, Celtics/Bruins, Knicks/rangees, you know what itll be easier to say that just under half the teams do without a problem(including the clippers/lakers cohabit with the kings)

Pittsburghs another place that should have one, and should be tops in relcation as well.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

So parents are concerned with hockey's safety concerns, but football is on the upward? I find that hard to believe.

Football is on the upswing in Quebec, yes.

As for safety? Hey the Québécois smoke like there's no tomorrow. So what's a concussion or several?

Well that and it's Canadian Football, which at least at the top level has proven to be half a dangerous as the American game so far.

Yes, it's true.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/bauer-survey-results-stun-former-nhl-great-messier/article13567822/

As for why? Well football is gaining ground in Quebec, but other then that? I think it's a combination of the price (hockey can be expensive), safety concerns, and the fact that Hockey Canada has sort of been resting on its laurels at the local level. Also video games. Probably. Maybe.

I don't have any numbers, but I'd imagine a generation that has a local team in the Raptors would grow up maybe wanting to play basketball - at least with Ontario. Also, Drake.
The problem with the Raptors is that they really didn't project themselves beyond the GTA between the Vince Carter years and their current run of success. Granted the team was horrible for much of that, but there was barely an effort on their part. It was like everyone in southern Ontario outside of the GTA went "oh yeah the Raptors are a thing" when they started to get good again.

But does Pittsburgh or Buffalo have the corporate and economic base to support another team? That's the real question.

I want to say yes for Buffalo, i just dont know if i can, so it would(and sadly, should) remain wishful thinking for an NBA team. Though I would take a preseason Raptors game being played in Buffalo.

Pittsburgh? I honestly think it would be a great move for all involved. Built in Cleveland rivalry to start, and i honestly believe it could work.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I want to say yes for Buffalo, i just dont know if i can, so it would(and sadly, should) remain wishful thinking for an NBA team. Though I would take a preseason Raptors game being played in Buffalo.

Raptors, like the Blue Jays, have taken to being Canada's team. They already play neutral site pre-season games in other Canadian cities like Ottawa, Montreal, Vancouver, & Halifax.

The Jays of course are again playing 2 games in Montreal next month.

@2001mark

But does Pittsburgh or Buffalo have the corporate and economic base to support another team? That's the real question.

Pittsburgh yes, Buffalo no.

Pittsburgh is absolutely sports-crazy, sort of along the lines of Boston. They support PITT basketball very well as well.

The city itself is growing quite rapidly, while Buffalo is in a bit of a slide economically and in population.

I remember after Bill Davidson died, there was talk of moving the Pistons to Pittsburgh. Obviously it was just a whisper in the wind, but someone somewhere's thinking it.

http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/10035/1033328-53.stm?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

sig.png

Teams can coexist, like the Raptors/leafs, Celtics/Bruins, Knicks/rangees, you know what itll be easier to say that just under half the teams do without a problem(including the clippers/lakers cohabit with the kings)

Pittsburghs another place that should have one, and should be tops in relcation as well.

Toronto, Boston, New York, and Los Angeles are just a little different than Pittsburgh and Buffalo.

I don't see any way that Pittsburgh would or could support an NBA team. The economy isn't exactly strong there, and I think that while they support the Penguins well (while they're winning at least), hockey fans aren't always also basketball fans, and it'd be a big stretch to find enough fans and companies to be able to support two teams financially. You're talking about a city of 300,000 (with a metro of 2M that's very spread out with much of it not within the distance that would make a weeknight sport reasonable, and there's next to no mass transit). TBH, I think they're spread thin as is.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It has seats in escalating rows surrounding a hockey-rink-shaped oval? It probably isn't worse than most other basketball arenas that also host hockey?

VLZACVSQODPGQZG.20121113153621.jpg

It has seats in escalating rows surrounding a hockey-rink-shaped oval? It probably isn't worse than most other basketball arenas that also host hockey?

Actually, most arenas that have hockey and basketball extend the endzone seats closer to the court, like so:

tdgarden_blog_ANG.jpg

Actually, most arenas that have hockey and basketball extend the endzone seats closer to the court, like so:

tdgarden_blog_ANG.jpg

But that doesn't take $100M renovation or anything... if they had regular basketball games there, they'd probably put those seats in. I don't think that makes it a "TERRIBLE" place to watch a basketball game, extra seats or not.

Will Canada ever have an NFL franchise?

Its best chance probably went out the window last September.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yes, yet not in this current era.

If the NFL ever expanded for the sake of greater number of teams rather than most marketable, then perhaps yes.

The Raptors are barely on American tv, no way would CBS-FOX-ESPN/ABC ever want NFL Toronto creating a weekly void.

Unless of course London, & some other off the grid locales were included.

Hell, even during the playoffs, the Raptors get all the early 12-1pm wkend start times... probably ABC hiding them as best they can.

As for 'Bills in Toronto' series, we don't want sloppy seconds... we want our own team. That's why it never sold out - neutral site reg season NFL isn't an event.

@2001mark

Better question is why would they want one? The CFL is just as enjoyable to watch, if not more so, and it's so far proving to be a safer brand of football to boot.

Do American TV networks air in Canada? How does "over the air" broadcasting of NFL games work there?

Archived