Teams That Should Relocate/Relocation Destinations

JerseyJimmy

Do American TV networks air in Canada? How does "over the air" broadcasting of NFL games work there?

I was just wondering the same idea, except Canadian networks in America. I've got cousins in Vancouver, and I love Rogers Sports Net. Like way more than FOX, ESPN, CSN and NBCSN. It also doesn't hurt that the Canadian networks cover far more hockey than here in the States.

And do you guys think Columbus could handle an NBA team? Because, I think there's a chance that it could.

(AND IT'S MY 1000th POST!!!)

That's what- She

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do American TV networks air in Canada? How does "over the air" broadcasting of NFL games work there?

I'm not entirely sure how it works in some places, but in Southern Ontario we do get most of the American networks. Not in every case but in a few, the American feed gets carried on a Canadian channel also (like TSN or CTV picking up the feed for the NFL on CBS for example) and things such as commercials will be replaced by the commercials that would play when you're watching the Canadian channels.

If you want a better explanation, I'll leave this link here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simultaneous_substitution

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

I was just wondering the same idea, except Canadian networks in America. I've got cousins in Vancouver, and I love Rogers Sports Net. Like way more than FOX, ESPN, CSN and NBCSN. It also doesn't hurt that the Canadian networks cover far more hockey than here in the States.

And do you guys think Columbus could handle an NBA team? Because, I think there's a chance that it could.

(AND IT'S MY 1000th POST!!!)

in the US(Buffalo, when I still lived there) we got CBC and CTV and that's it

though if you have friends that would agree to let you have a satalitte shipped to their house and have them as a billing address, I've heard you can get the same as in ft erie.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

We have most of the American channels here. TSN or Sportsnet will just play the direct feed from the American broadcast and switch out the commercials for their own commercials. In last years NHL playoffs, TSN lost their feed of a Ducks-Kings game and they just switched over to the NBC feed for the rest of the game.

In Calgary the feeds usually come out of Spokane. There are a lot of Seahawks fans my dad's age in Calgary because they would get the American nationally broadcast game and the Seahawks game out of Spokane every weekend.

IbjBaeE.png

I'm pretty sure Rogers & Bell pay rights fees directly to the NFL to air in Canada. Whether that's filtered through CBS, FOX, & ABC/ESPN, so be it.

With my basic package, I get 2-4x 1pm games + 2x 4:30pm games every week.

While Bell's TSN has 5 channels (I don't get TSN2 for whatever reason I couldn't care less about), Rogers' Sportsnet gives Canadians a collection of channels targeted for each region of the country (Atlantic-Ontario East-Ontario-Central-West-Pacific)

Sportsnet offers the 1pm games usually AFC/NFC East, AFC/NFC North, + maybe a random AFC/NFC South game. 4:30pm is the US 'game of the week'(lols) + the prime AFC/NFC West secondary game (I don't get more than the 2 late games even if there actually are)

TSN airs SNF & MNF, & I think TNF also.

I'm not sure if we get every single Bills home game due to blackouts & whatnot (Toronto is in Buffalo's US market, as I'm certain Vancouver-Seattle, Windsor-Detroit, etc)... I say that because frankly I'm a Patriots fan & couldn't care less about watching, or trying to find on the dial, the Bills.

We get enough American networks, though I don't have ESPN or FOX Sports if you're wondering. For some reason I do get the NFL Network which was a pleasant surprise.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

• 2 months later...

Can any of you see any of the following teams relocated in the next 10 to 20 years?

Carolina Hurricanes, Florida Panthers, New York Islanders, Coloumbus Blue Jackets, Detroit Pistons, Minnesota Timberwolves, Denver Nuggets, Milwaukee Bucks, New Orleans Pelicans, St. Louis Rams, Minnesota Vikings, Oakland Raiders, Cincinnati Bengals, Tampa Bay Rays, Cleveland Indians, Miami Marlins, Chicago White Sox, New York Red Bulls, San Jose Earthquakes, Colorado Rapids

I chose those teams based on their attendence numbers in recent years, and if the unsetting trend for them continues.

Can any of you see any of the following teams relocated in the next 10 to 20 years?

Carolina Hurricanes, Florida Panthers, New York Islanders, Coloumbus Blue Jackets, Detroit Pistons, Minnesota Timberwolves, Denver Nuggets, Milwaukee Bucks, New Orleans Pelicans, St. Louis Rams, Minnesota Vikings, Oakland Raiders, Cincinnati Bengals, Tampa Bay Rays, Cleveland Indians, Miami Marlins, Chicago White Sox, New York Red Bulls, San Jose Earthquakes, Colorado Rapids

I chose those teams based on their attendence numbers in recent years, and if the unsetting trend for them continues.

San Jose Earthquakes just opened a brand new privately funded stadium two months ago, so I would say the chances are zero. It's also why their attendance was low, their temp stadium only held 10,000 so they actually were at or near 100% capacity.

Florida Panthers, St. Louis Rams, Oakland Raiders, Tampa Bay Rays once their iron clad stadium deal runs its course (or whatever that case is).

NY Red Bulls is interesting except they have one of the better stadiums in the league.

@2001mark

NY Red Bulls is interesting except they have one of the better stadiums in the league.

Yeah, they're not going to relocate, but they may well be in serious trouble. They failed to get inroads into NYC, and now they have to decode if they still want to try or if they want to market more aggressively to the suburbs. Should be interesting.

Yeah, they're not going to relocate, but they may well be in serious trouble. They failed to get inroads into NYC, and now they have to decode if they still want to try or if they want to market more aggressively to the suburbs. Should be interesting.

Change their name to Garden State SC. A rebrand is sorely needed, & enough with the NJ based New York titled teams.

Garden State SC is pretty sassy actually lols. Someone pay me money for that.

@2001mark

New York Islanders are about to relocate from their mausoleum on Long Island to Brooklyn. Where they have signed a 25-year lease.

So no, I don't expect them to relocate "in the next 10 to 20 years". Unless you're counting 2016.

Yikes - I didn't realize that. I thought it was more like a 4-5 year move while they figured out other options for their own arena. Unless it was too sweet a deal to pass up, I'm surpised that in 2015 a pro sports team would be willing to sign such a long lease (and the opposite is true as well.) Let alone the fact that it's less than ideal for hockey.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah, That 25-year lease tells you how desperate they were to get out of Nassau.

If anything does happen to the Red Bulls is that they'll be purchased by the NASL Cosmos and rebranded.

I really don't see that happening. The Cosmos don't seem interested in MLS, knowing they'd have to hand over their IP. That's not going to change in the near future, although it's possible that the Cosmos' owners may eventually decide that they've maximized their earnings in the NASL and become willing to make that trade.

But if they rebrand the Red Bulls again to anything other than Metrostars FC or the like, they'll burn a high percentage of the fanbase they have left.

That sale could have happened back when Red Bull was sniffing around for a franchise to buy. Sela Sport, if they had been around at the time, could have outbid the Austrians and remade the metrostars in their own image. Today? Seems a whole lot less likely.

I'd only see soccer and hockey teams moving. Baseball has enough dates that attendance would need to be abysmal. It doesn't seem that any city is trying to go big league baseball right now. There's maybe three or four football teams that could move to LA but Cincinnati isn't

Relocations are often about stadium deals more than they are attendance. And most MLB teams are locked in. Same with soccer - what teams don't have their own (relatively new) stadiums?

We're coming off a period of incredible stadium construction. That's followed by a period of relative franchise stability, as teams can't go anywhere.

The NBA needs expansion like it needs a hole in the head. There are no viable open markets and the talent pool is spread faaaaaaar too thin as it is.

(yay, randomly reviving a three month old discussion!)

Seattle and Las Vegas are viable open markets but could have been addressed by relocation or a lack thereof. I agree, no more NBA teams.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

New York Islanders are about to relocate from their mausoleum on Long Island to Brooklyn. Where they have signed a 25-year lease.

So no, I don't expect them to relocate "in the next 10 to 20 years". Unless you're counting 2016.

Yikes - I didn't realize that. I thought it was more like a 4-5 year move while they figured out other options for their own arena. Unless it was too sweet a deal to pass up, I'm surpised that in 2015 a pro sports team would be willing to sign such a long lease (and the opposite is true as well.) Let alone the fact that it's less than ideal for hockey.

Depending on what you read there is an opt out at the end of the 5th year either at the option of the team (3 years after majority ownership changes hands) or at the option of Barclay's Center if they feel they're not getting value for the $50 million per year they're paying the Isles to be there.

Yeah, That 25-year lease tells you how desperate they were to get out of Nassau.

I don't know if it was necessarily desperation to get out of Nassau or the $50 million reasons a year the Barclay's Center gave as an incentive to come in.

Depending on what you read there is an opt out at the end of the 5th year either at the option of the team (3 years after majority ownership changes hands) or at the option of Barclay's Center if they feel they're not getting value for the $50 million per year they're paying the Isles to be there.

Everything I've seen has said it's Barclays Center's option. It's not like the Isles can keep developing an arena plan somewhere further out on Long Island, and then expect to get out of their Brooklyn lease if the new plan actually gets approved.

Edit: I see where some people are saying the Islanders have the option to get out, but it's all very murky.

Archived