8BW14's NFL Redesign: Monochrome Madness

8BW14

I understand the reasoning for moving the badge logo, but it's on the chest to represent military uniforms (with the Naval base and all). Moving that wouldn't work for that reason. Jacksonville should always have a black helmet. If you were trying to go for the 2008 "candy" helmet, then that's fine, but this looks more gradient than color shifting. I'd drop the teal pants and replace them with white. You ever seen Jax's teal on black? It's hideous. And other than that the only other thing bothering me is the shoulder caps on the whites.

If the Jaguars were owned or associated with the Navy or any branch of the military, then I would probably agree about the logo needing to be on the chest but they are not so I see no reason why it can't be on the sleeves, they are just a football team.

I was going for the iridescent helmet not a gradient but maybe it's coming across as too harsh? I'll fix that. On the road I went with the teal cap sleeves because I didn't want the white jersey to be too heavy on the black.

This is probably an unpopular opinion but I happen to like the Jaguars in teal over black so I think that's gonna stay the same, but I'll look at either white or black pants on the road as well as possibly getting rid of the cap sleeves.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Clintau24 the badge logo should be on Chest, it just doesnt look right on the sleeves, in fact I'd just leave the sleeves blank without a logo. And as for the badge yeah its just a football team but since Jacksonville has a big naval population its more of a respect or a tribute to the city and its naval residence. And if youre gonna go for that look for the helmet i'd have the color go from Black to Teal I'd make it to Teal to Black i'd look better.

Tj4ZkPU.png

1zwchs3.jpg_zpshph8rzul.png

27xqdyc.jpg_zps7iobnqxz.png

So maybe a B would represent the Cleveland Browns better? Since I already have all the teams done I'm just going to go ahead and reveal a team every day to keep this thread moving along. I've note some of the comments on the Cardinals and I'll take those into account if it make any changes.

The next team in line is the Atlanta Falcons, another team in a mess of piping with weird inserts all over the jerseys and pants. They are lifeless and boring and to me they look like a catalog order (probably because they are for so many high school teams). Once again I wanted to simplify an overly complicated uniform. The first thing I did was throwback to the red helmet because I think the logo just pops off of the red helmet. The number font is based on the word mark and I think the wings on the shoulder make the uniform modern without going overboard. I chose to go without stripes on the pants for fear of it being too busy along with the shoulder wings and I did break my rule about repeating a helmet logo on another part of the uniform but the logo works here, I think.

falconspresentation_zpsc77d4a90.png

So what does everyone think? I would love to hear some comments. Thanks for taking the time to take a look.

i think the logo on the pants is too big, but i do like the wings and red helmet. you should consider red numbers to go with the name

Okay so the font is a no-go. Is it the legibility or just a matter of taste? If I just went with a 1 color number with no outline would that help? I'm kinda partial to that font so I would like to keep it around in some capacity.

The Ravens will be the first team getting a new logo, well kind of new anyway. The shield will be the primary with silver replacing gold and more unified color scheme. I updated the fonts also.

ravenslogo_zpsd6447047.png

The new uniforms: This one is obviously the first huge departure from the team's established aesthetic. No more gold for the ravens and no more bird head logo. I was heavily inspired by the iridescent effect a raven's feathers and integrated that into the numbers and sleeves. Think of something along the lines of Oregon's shoulders and numbers.

ravenspresentation_zps30cb9b40.png

I'd love to hear what you think. Should the silver outline on the purple jersey be heavier or are the numbers visible enough? Thanks for taking the time to have a look.

i think for the logo you should have the correct colors of the maryland flag, and no ghost lettering on the road jersey

Okay so the font is a no-go. Is it the legibility or just a matter of taste? If I just went with a 1 color number with no outline would that help? I'm kinda partial to that font so I would like to keep it around in some capacity.

The Ravens will be the first team getting a new logo, well kind of new anyway. The shield will be the primary with silver replacing gold and more unified color scheme. I updated the fonts also.

ravenslogo_zpsd6447047.png

The new uniforms: This one is obviously the first huge departure from the team's established aesthetic. No more gold for the ravens and no more bird head logo. I was heavily inspired by the iridescent effect a raven's feathers and integrated that into the numbers and sleeves. Think of something along the lines of Oregon's shoulders and numbers.

ravenspresentation_zps30cb9b40.png

I'd love to hear what you think. Should the silver outline on the purple jersey be heavier or are the numbers visible enough? Thanks for taking the time to have a look.

i think for the logo you should have the correct colors of the maryland flag, and no ghost lettering on the road jersey

there definitly needs too be more red

Okay so I updated the Jaguars helmet and made also made a small change to the Broncos as well. You can see those in the original respective posts.

I understand where everyone is coming from with the flag but It was a conscious decision to take some creative liberties with the flag. Including yellow just adds one more color to a logo that already features three. I think it's still pretty clear that the pattern in the logo is reflective of the Maryland state flag without shoving that idea right in your face. As for the lack of red in the rest of the uniform, I never had any intention of using any. I used red in the logo because it really popped and I was thinking of the red eye the current Raven has and I was also inspired by another of Edgar Allen Poe's stories, "The Tell-Tale Heart" . I thought a subtle nod to that with the blood red coat of arms would be neat even though it might be a bit of a stretch. Also, there are plenty of teams, especially those with shield/badge logos that feature a non-uniform color. I don't want to seem stubborn or resistant to change, but I do want to explain my reasoning for doing things the way I did. That being said, I really appreciate the comments from everyone on all the teams.

The Chiefs will be coming tomorrow and be warned, I got pretty creative with Kansas City.

Alright Brace yourselves, it's time for the Kansas City Chiefs. For a while now I have thought the Chiefs were in need of a refreshed, cleaned up logo. I know I'm probably in the minority but I think the Chiefs current logo they have been using for 50+ years looks sloppy. Just because It's old and was worn by great teams a long time ago doesn't necessarily mean it's good. My major problem with the logo is the irregular hand drawn black outline. My mission was to come up with a logo that was a reasonable evolution for a team that had been around since the 1960's and I think I did that with the logo I created for the Chiefs:

chiefs_zps48c59e17.png

The new logo features clean, crisp lines and the edges more accurately reflect the shape of a knapped flint arrowhead.

Now this is where the Chiefs really go off the deep end. With a new logo comes new uniforms and these Chiefs uniforms are a major departure form the very conservative and traditional Chiefs uniforms they currently wear and have worn in the past.

Chiefspresentation_zps901aa578.png

The uniforms feature a new proprietary number font, a sleeve pattern reminiscent of the new hard-edged logo. The new wordmark is larger than average on the front of the jersey and the new pant stripes also feature a zig-zag pattern reminiscent of the new logo.

Disclaimer: If I were tasked with designing new uniforms for the Chiefs, they would never be this far out there. I just thought it would be fun to take a very conservative team and use them as an exercise in creativity.

I'd love to hear what everyone thinks about the Chiefs. Thanks for taking a look.

Chiefspresentation_zps5dcb4b40.png

New number font for the Chiefs. It's a slightly modified Florida State font from Conrad.

I'm a Chiefs fan, so you can take my comment with a grain of salt. My biggest issue with the logo is the back end of the main arrowhead section (not where it connects to the arrow). I think those lines need to be vertical even if it isn't exactly realistic.

I also feel that the font you use doesn't match the logo at all. What if you would try to make a font that somewhat matches or mirrors the edges of the arrowhead (like your striping currently does). That might be too extreme, but your rounded soft-looking don't doesn't fit the rest of the design.

award%20sig.png

Regarding the font, do you mean the wordmark or the numbers or both?

Both

Ah okay. I'd be open to changing the number font but I'm pretty happy with the wordmark. Maybe some tweaks rather than a completely different font?

Alright well it's time for the Miami Dolphins. I know I'm in the minority on this one but I actually really like the new logo for the Dolphins. It's sleek and conveys speed in a way that the last logo does not. What some people see as corporate and lifeless I see as clean and elegant. I did make some changes, however, with the color. I swapped the unique blue-green for a dark teal and darkened the aqua just a hair.

dolphins_zpsf8b828ef.png

As for the uniforms, I think the Dolphins were on the right track with the brighter colors and new logo, but I think they really failed in their demotion of orange to trim color equal in capacity to the unique shade of blue. The current number font is also a near miss for me as well.

dolphinspresentation_zpsaab05db7.png

So,now it comes to my new Dolphins uniforms. The most important thing for me was to re-emphasize orange in the dolphins identity. I placed the orange between the aqua to really make the orange pop and catch the eye.It's very subtle but the dark aqua borders the light aqua in the stripes as well. The striping pattern is repeated thorough the uniform for consistency. I chose not to include aqua pants because I believe that all white is the only road combo the Dolphins need.

As always, thanks for taking a look and I appreciate any and all comments. I'd love to hear what everyone has to say.

Alright well I guess I'll go ahead and release two new teams today. First will be the Minnesota Vikings. I have to say I actually like the new Vikings look: black facemask, funky serifs and all. There are a few areas where the look can be improved, though. The arbitrary striping inconsistency between the white and purple pants stripes and the left number-only serifs.

Vikingspresentation_zpse9003753.png

I also added a white pair of socks and added stripes to both socks. The striping is a bit bolder and even though this is a single digit number, the serif would be present on both of a double digit number.

Next is the New England Patriots and I really pared their look down to a couple unique features and only three colors.

patriotspresentationpresentation_zpsedd1

The tail? from the "Fling Elvis" logo is used as a stripe on the sleeves on both the home and road jerseys. The facemask has been changed from red to gray and both uniforms use single color numbers. Red socks give another splash of vibrant red to the uniforms. Instead of using a stripe on the pants I opted to go with the seldom used but, in my opinion, very good NE logo on the hip. My main concern with the Patriots was really simplifying the uniforms but keeping the basic feel of their current uniforms.

Well that's it for today. I also made a change to the Chiefs that can be seen in the original post on back in the thread. Thanks for taking a look. I'd love to hear what everyone thinks.

It's been a couple days so I've got one more new team for today, the New Orleans Saints, one of the teams whose logo I redesigned, or tweaked in this case. I think the Saints current logo suffers from outline-overload, as well as being different colors on different backgrounds. Basically what I did with the Saints was simplify the outlines and revert back to the old gold of the Saints inaugural logo and uniform as well as making black the one and only primary color of the logo. My new logo is simple and straight-forward:

saintslogo_zps556c9947.png

Now for the uniforms, I think the simplest, but most important change for the Saints is to go back to the richer old cold of the past in place of the washed-out khaki they currently sport. I went with a custom number font that has an old timey, rustic feel to it. I also changed the road numbers back to gold with a heavy black outline. The striping pattern throughout the uniform reflects the classic helmet stripe the Saints have used for their entire history. Oh and most important of all, NO BLACK PANTS.

saintspresentation_zpsbe77768f.png

Thanks for taking the time to take a look. I always appreciate any comments.

saintspresentation_zpscc5052d9.png

Just a new wordmark for the Saints

Really loving the Saints, especially the number font and the new striping pattern. The gold road numbers are a great look as well.

I would work on the wordmark a little bit. I think the FDL is unnecessary, and the "T" is both too wide and kerned to much on both sides. I would also center "AINT" vertically with the "S"s, make the top line straight across, and then match the bottom line with the top one.

Really loving the Saints, especially the number font and the new striping pattern. The gold road numbers are a great look as well.

I would work on the wordmark a little bit. I think the FDL is unnecessary, and the "T" is both too wide and kerned to much on both sides. I would also center "AINT" vertically with the "S"s, make the top line straight across, and then match the bottom line with the top one.

Okay I'll give that a try. I was going for something reminiscent of a wrought iron gate with the FDL and curved stripes, but if its not working I will try your suggestion.

Archived