8BW14

8BW14's NFL Redesign: Monochrome Madness

Suggestion for the 49ers can you do a gold jersey alternate

I'm not going to do alternate jerseys. I mentioned that in the OP.

I made the suggested update to the Saints' wordmark and I think it looks tons better and it can be seen in the original Saints post one page back. Thanks for the input, mbannon92.

Well next up is the New York Football Giants, who have a very good look already if you ask me, even the totally blue-less white jersey. If an expansion team debuted a set of mismatched jerseys that would never fly but these Giants uniforms have a timelessness and classic quality about them that a new, boring, matching set just would not have. While their current uniforms are very good, I think there are a few areas where they can be improved.

Giantspresentation_zpsc78fa097.png

The biggest of the small changes I made to the Giants was removing the grey from the pants stripe to tie the pants stripe to the helmet stripe. I also moved the numbers on the blue jersey from the shoulder to the sleeves. There's no reason for sleeves to be bare when they are a perfectly good place for TV numbers. I didn't change one thing on the white road jersey.

Well that's the Giants, not one of the more exciting redesigns of the bunch, but it didn't have to be. Thanks for taking a look and I appreciate any comments.

The Saints wordmark looks much better.

Giants look pretty good. I think the pants stripe is an upgrade. I'm personally not a huge fan of the lack of blue on the road jersey, but I respect your choice to keep the quirkiness.

Okay now it's time for the other team from New York City, The New York Jets. The only thing that I thought was worth keeping around was the nice green and white color scheme. The current Jets logo does not feel like a logo for a team named the Jets at all. It feels old and slow and it's waaay too busy to be on a helmet. It just looks looks a green oval with some white lines in it. With my new logo I went pretty simple, inspired by the Jets' original jumbo jet silhouette logo. However I chose to go with a fighter Jet instead.

jets_zpsa9d2c7ee.png

Now for the uniforms: I wanted to stay true to what I feel is the Jets best historical look which is white/green/white at home and all white on the road, but move away from the Namath era fauxback and still retain that basic look.

Jetspresentation_zpsb20e6076.png

The new uniforms feature a stripe inspired by a jet's contrail on the pants and helmet and a slightly over-sized jet on both sides of the helmet. The sleeves feature the tail-fin from the logo. I think the all-white road look utilized just the right amount of green give it some life. These new uniforms are meant to be an evolution of the Jets historical uniforms and I think I did a decent job, I'm happy with them anyway.

Well what does everyone think of the Jets? Hit or miss? Thanks for taking a look, I appreciate any of your thoughts.

I'd flip the colors on the away sleeves.

Helmet logo seems a little too big.

To be fair, your Jets shade is actually pretty close to that which has been appearing on the field in recent years, but what's the deal with everyone wanting to push this team towards duller and dirtier greens? They used to have a really nice color...

http://a4.espncdn.com/photo/2011/1027/ny_jets_28_800.jpg

Other than that, I'll echo a concern similar to PackerFan98's: what's with the contrasting notch being up on the shoulder for the dark jersey, but down toward the sleeve cuff for the white?

It's actually the same green you have in your pic, according to colorwerx.

To answer the question about the sleeves, I wanted them to be consistent between jerseys and because a green cap sleeve on the white jersey made it too heavy on the green IMO.

Other than that, I'll echo a concern similar to PackerFan98's: what's with the contrasting notch being up on the shoulder for the dark jersey, but down toward the sleeve cuff for the white?

To answer the question about the sleeves, I wanted them to be consistent between jerseys and because a green cap sleeve on the white jersey made it too heavy on the green IMO.

But the sleeves are something the Jets have used their entire existence. I don't think it's a Jets trademark that they invented or anything, but no other team in the NFL uses it. I think the Jets should be that team.

Alright I've got two new teams today and one of them is probably my favorite of the whole series. The first team today is the Oakland Raiders. The Raiders are a tough team to redesign because their look is so simple and just so good. It's just black and silver but it says so much about what the team is about. That being said, I decided to "enhance" the Raiders rather than try to come up with something better than what they have worn for most of their entire history.

I did make some tweaks to the Raiders' logo, mostly just cleaning up some of the lines and things of that sort. I didn't want to modernize the Raiders too much and take some of that charm from the logo.

raiders_zpsdd794abf.png

As for the uniforms, they're not anything too groundbreaking. I made the striping heavier, added a silver stripe to the socks and made the numbers on the road jersey silver with a nice heavy black outline.

raiderspresentation_zps4c27c366.png

Next is the Philadelphia Eagles. Honestly the Eagles are a hot mess right now IMO. They use a green that is way too dark to be paired with. I'm not a fan of their current logo either, too cartoony. For the Eagles, I went ahead and came up with a new logo and a new set of uniforms to go with.

eagles_zps4ac0c0f2.png

This logo is heavily inspired by the logo the Eagles used in the 70's. I loved the simple stylized wings and brought that idea over to my new logo for the Eagles. I tried to keep things simple by sticking with green, silver and just a splash of white.

With the Eagles new uniforms I went with a neo-retro look that was simple and that spoke for itself. I wanted to get back to what I think is the essence of what the Eagles' uniforms should look like.

eaglespresentation_zpsc1b27729.png

Green and silver, no frills aside from a custom number font and some piping on the collar and sleeves. The helmet features a simple stylized silver wing. The numbers, pants stripe and wings on the helmet are a very shiny twill just short of being reflective.

Like I said before, these are probably my favorite uniforms that I have worked on in this series. What does everyone think of the Raiders and Eagles. Thanks for taking the time to look and I really appreciate any comments.

The Eagles logo is a great upgrade. Nice job.

Thanks for the comments on the Eagles guys. I really appreciate them.

I'm going to go ahead and post two more teams today, the Pittsburgh Steelers and the San Diego Chargers.

First up will be the Steelers. I probably committed a cardinal sin for Steeler fans and changed the logo. The current one is fine, but I feel like the most important features of the logo are being held captive inside the white roundel. I think the arrangement of the hypocycloids (thank you Google) that are featured prominently in the logo should be set free to shine on their own but still recall the U.S. Steel Corp. logo that inspired the team's.

steelers_zpsb997c11d.png

I just think this log gives off the same vibe as The Steelers' current logo but has a much more contemporary feel to it.

Now, along with the new logo comes new uniforms. The uniforms are also a contemporary take on a classic uniform.

steelerspresentation_zps140b680b.png

A new logo, number font, and a modern take on the Steelers' classic stripes inject some freshness into a classic uniform design, but allow it to retain the features that make the uniform so identifiable.

Next is the San Diego Chargers. Right now, the Chargers use the lightning bolt as a primary logo and it doesn't work for me because it doesn't fill a space well. You see it by itself and it looks like it's missing something. So, I wanted to give the Chargers a real logo. I have always loved the badge logo the Chargers used to use that actually took some of the ambiguity out of the name Chargers by depicting a Charger, a war horse. I took some inspiration from that logo and designed a more contemporary take on the badge/shield logo.

chargers_zps665e877a.png

Like the new logo, the new uniforms are an evolution of a great look from the team's past. I returned to the pacific blue and yellow scheme and dumped navy, although I did flirt with keeping all three colors.

chargerspresentation_zpsc68c6a46.png

Well here they are. What does everyone think? I appreciate any comments and thanks for taking a look.

I like them both! Only thing I would do would be place an outline on the lightning bolt on he blue jersey

Chargers is gorgeous love their powder blue and the logo

Please tell me there are Steelers logos on BOTH sides of the helmet, I can't stand that and just about everything else about their current look, this is a big improvement.

I like them both! Only thing I would do would be place an outline on the lightning bolt on he blue jersey

Thanks. I'm probably not going to put the outline on the bolt on the blue. I had it that way at first but I didn't like the way the yellow looked on the white. I think yellow on blue is much cleaner.

Please tell me there are Steelers logos on BOTH sides of the helmet, I can't stand that and just about everything else about their current look, this is a big improvement.

Nope just one side, like always. That's one of the things about the Steelers that is unique to the Steelers and I want to keep it that way. Thanks for the input though.

Okay, I've got one more for today, the San Francisco 49ers. Something that has always bothered me about the 49ers has been the gratuitous black outline on the logo that remained after the 49ers returned to the current iteration of their classic uniforms. When I redesigned the logo, I returned to the classic style and shape before it was redesigned in the 90's with the darker scarlet and black set.

49ers_zps7cdc7ea4.png

49erspresentation_zps0fff78d7.png

As for the uniforms, I fixed the only major glaring problem with them, which is the intentionally cut-off sleeve stripes. I also used a custom number font brightened the scarlet as well. There is only so much you can do to make the 49ers uniforms better in my opinion and hopefully I have done that.

Thanks for taking a look and once again, any comments are appreciated.

Great update to the 49ers. Is there any reason why the "I" in Davis is a different color than the rest?

49ers are fine.