Toronto Raptors rebrand

MkDon

<p>

Game 2 shirts

fervhXP.png

Those are terrible.

What are they supposed to say, "TO"?

In the book Naming Canada: Stories about Canadian Place Names, Alan Rayburn states that "no place in Canada has as many sobriquets as Toronto." Among them are the nicknames:

• "TO" or "T.O.", from Toronto, Ontario, or from Toronto; pronounced "Tee-Oh". Sometimes used as T-dot.
It also stands for "turnover", which in basketball is not a good thing. Stupid idea, no matter what the intended meaning was.

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<p>

Game 2 shirts

fervhXP.png

Those are terrible.

In the book Naming Canada: Stories about Canadian Place Names, Alan Rayburn states that "no place in Canada has as many sobriquets as Toronto." Among them are the nicknames:

• "TO" or "T.O.", from Toronto, Ontario, or from Toronto; pronounced "Tee-Oh". Sometimes used as T-dot.
It also stands for "turnover", which in basketball is not a good thing. Stupid idea, no matter what the intended meaning was.

You mean it is a stupid idea for a team to take pride in where they are from, and the local fanbase?

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

<p>

Game 2 shirts

fervhXP.png

Those are terrible.

You mean it is a stupid idea for a team to take pride in where they are from, and the local fanbase?

Of course, it is a stupid idea for any team to embrace their province and city..i mean come on couldn't they have come up with something else that embraces Toronto, Ontario? Maybe if we were from Canada we would understand......oh wait...we aren't no wonder..lets just bash those darn canadians

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

<p>

Game 2 shirts

fervhXP.png

Those are terrible.

Of course, it is a stupid idea for any team to embrace their province and city..i mean come on couldn't they have come up with something else that embraces Toronto, Ontario? Maybe if we were from Canada we would understand......oh wait...we aren't no wonder..lets just bash those darn canadians

No, it's a stupid idea because anyone outside of Toronto (and probably some from Toronto) would see that in the context of a basketball game and immediately think "turnover". If the Blue Jays did it, it would be fine, but for basketball/football/hockey? it's a bad double meaning. It's a matter of simple design principles. Has nothing to do with be being anti-Canada.

<p>

Game 2 shirts

fervhXP.png

Those are terrible.

No, it's a stupid idea because anyone outside of Toronto (and probably some from Toronto) would see that in the context of a basketball game and immediately think "turnover". If the Blue Jays did it, it would be fine, but for basketball/football/hockey? it's a bad double meaning. It's a matter of simple design principles. Has nothing to do with be being anti-Canada.

Or you could be smart enough to see TO is their abbreviation for the city. Because YOU dont see that way doesnt mean everyone else has too. In that regard, The Saints should never use N.O on anything because that says NO and anybody outside of America would never understand that

@dcjames5

I'm not gonna quote because it's getting long. I'm referring to the previous post.

------------------

The thing is. While TO is an abbreviation of Toronto, using it is stupid because there are other abbreviations that can be used that don't also mean turnover. Seriously, just use TOR, or just spell out Toronto. Both of those would represent the city just as well as TO without any confusion.

This is all just a product of the Raptors trying way too hard to be cool and trendy.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

I'm not gonna quote because it's getting long. I'm referring to the previous post.

------------------

The thing is. While TO is an abbreviation of Toronto, using it is stupid because there are other abbreviations that can be used that don't also mean turnover. Seriously, just use TOR, or just spell out Toronto. Both of those would represent the city just as well as TO without any confusion.

This is all just a product of the Raptors trying way too hard to be cool and trendy.

No way is a franchise that let's a rapper (who is a known bandwagoner), help design their logos trying too hard to be cool. (sarcasm)

------------------

Literally everyone in Canada calls Toronto "T.O.", it's as commonplace as "NYC" or "LA" for people up here.

thecatch.jpg

------------------

Literally everyone in Canada calls Toronto "T.O.", it's as commonplace as "NYC" or "LA" for people up here.

This. Maybe some Americans would see it as standing for "turnover," but Canadians will see "TO" standing for Toronto first and foremost. And seeing as most Raptors fans are Canadian? The shirts work. Who cares if Americans don't get it? It's not for them.

------------------

This. Maybe some Americans would see it as standing for "turnover," but Canadians will see "TO" standing for Toronto first and foremost. And seeing as most Raptors fans are Canadian? The shirts work. Who cares if Americans don't get it? It's not for them.
And the minority of us Americans who are raptors fans(including myself) know exactly what TO stands for as well.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Maybe it's because I've spent a decade and a half hanging out here in Canada's Internet airspace, but I didn't give T.O. a second thought as anything but Toronto.

And I lived through the Cowboys' T.O. years and ESPN's live coverage of his driveway workouts. (This was pre-T...BO.) And I was alive when Chris Webber called T--oh never mind.

Chiming in - ironically, no one I know from the GTA personally or professionally refers to ourselves as T.O. or TDot or Big Smoke or Hogtown. I dunno, maybe that's cuz it's played out or whatever.

I think we just love saying 'Toronto' like droppin' a mic. B) Esp when outsiders pronounce it Tor On Tow fml.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Chiming in - ironically, no one I know from the GTA personally or professionally refers to ourselves as T.O. or TDot or Big Smoke or Hogtown. I dunno, maybe that's cuz it's played out or whatever.

I think we just love saying 'Toronto' like droppin' a mic. B) Esp when outsiders pronounce it Tor On Tow fml.

The "only out of town rubes say it!" routine doesn't quite work when the team based in Toronto is making shirts saying TO themselves to give to their Toronto-based fans ;)

The "only out of town rubes say it!" routine doesn't quite work when the team based in Toronto is making shirts saying TO themselves to give to their Toronto-based fans ;)

"you cant use your cities abberviation because it stands for timeout/turnover/blahblah" is just a dumb argument in my mind . Once you get what it means, the confusion should end.

@dcjames5

Well, seeing how the Raptors dropped the first two games of the series at home, I guess the shirts are appropriate :D

Or you could be smart enough to see TO is their abbreviation for the city. Because YOU dont see that way doesnt mean everyone else has too. In that regard, The Saints should never use N.O on anything because that says NO and anybody outside of America would never understand that

New Orleans is abbreviated NOLA, probably to avoid confusion with the word "no", so your example is a poor one. And if the Raptors wanted to use a kewl nickname on the shirts, why not use "T-DOT" and make the "O" the new logo? See? This is design—coming up with the best, clearest solution.

And please, don't question my intelligence. I understand that "TO" is an abbreviation for Toronto. I'm saying it's the worst of their several options to use for a basketball shirt.

Archived