Toronto Raptors rebrand

MkDon

Everytime an NBA team rebrands, I thank God I'm a Trail Blazers fan.

The pinwheel is perfect.

If Nike takes over as the league's supplier when Adidas' contract runs out, would you fear the Blazers getting the typical PNW Nike treatment?

EDIT: just noticed your avatar - and being in Oregon, I'm guessing you might have some level of affiliation with Nike. :)

I just meant that as the possibility of a more drastic rebrand.

I'm not affiliated in Nike in anyway, don't worry. And no, I wouldn't fear the Blazers getting the Nike treatment. I think Nike tends to be pretty respectful of traditional logos and uniforms that deserve it. I'm ready for a new look for the Blazers, I think they're currently looking a little dated, but I can't imagine a world where the pinwheel stopped being used.

My personal appreciation towards logos tends towards toward simplicity (hence why I'm proud to wear any of the 3 logos in my signature), and in uniforms I appreciate originality and attention to detail. The Portland/Oregon teams tend to do that pretty well so I feel like I lucked out as a fan.

This Tortonto mess isn't as bad as the Clippers mess, but jesus, neither are good. Sigh. It is not surprising that a team like Toronto is still trying to find a look that really sticks, and I support them rebranding. But this is just all wrong.

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Blazers really need to go with their Rip City font full time. I think they'd look perfect just doing that

Been saying that for years. Keep the RipCity designs for home and make an away version. Replace RipCity with Portland (home)Blazers (away)...voila!

But honestly. .how is that related to Toronto Raptors?! (NBA 2015-16 thread?)

shado_logo.gif

Those possible jersey concepts look absolutely abysmal...

Instantly bottom 5 in the league when this set comes out.

These uniforms will be on the same shelf as Nets,Pelicans, Thunder and Cavs as supremely underwhelming & horrible execution to great identities.

100% agreed. Looks like we have the exact same "worst" list.

Co-signed.

Those possible jersey concepts look absolutely abysmal...

Instantly bottom 5 in the league when this set comes out.

These uniforms will be on the same shelf as Nets,Pelicans, Thunder and Cavs as supremely underwhelming & horrible execution to great identities.

100% agreed. Looks like we have the exact same "worst" list.

Co-signed.

Notarized

Guy posted this on realgm forum regarding raptors upcoming jerseys: not sure if he's full of :censored: but he claims to know what they will look like

"I can confirm the jerseys will look like this however it will be a V-Neck. A friend of mine knows someone that works for NBA Canada and showed him pictures of our new jerseys, court and the 2016 NBA All-Star Game Logo. Those jerseys looks exactly how he described it with the exception of the v-neck. Home colour will be white and away will be all red, there will be an OVO black and gold alternate as well. I know this doesn't sound believable but just watch, he also said the All-Star logo looks like complete a**. Feel free to call me a liar and ridicule me but just wait and watch, these are the jerseys. He even said how the logo is like a belly button on the jersey. The trim I can't confirm though but the the lettering and logo placement is legit. They plan on releasing numerous versions through out the next couple years, he told me there will be a grey jersey and their will also be one that says "WE THE NORTH" instead of raptors." icon_ead2.gif

vGbFjmc.jpg

I finally was able to get a look at the actual Raptors uniforms recently.

Here's what I can confirm, just from memory

- four uniforms

- white home, red road, black alternate, black/gold "drake" alternate

- all four uniforms follow the exact same template, just the colours are changed around

- all four jerseys say "RAPTORS" across the front, none say "TORONTO"

- the jersey wordmarks leaked earlier are legit, that very basic block font

- number font is nothing I've seen used before (you really see it in the number "4") but still "blockish" in general

- the ball/claw logo is on the side of the shorts

- the trim on the side of the jerseys are broken up by two horizontal stripes close to the armpits, a nod to their current jersey design

What I'm still unsure about:

- while my source told me there is a small logo under the numbers, the versions I saw did not have this logo

I'll try and get some mockups put together, probably for an article on the site

So based on the details, I'm guessing the Raptors will look something like this?

mY5DJEC.png

That's pretty close, i know the logo on the side of the shorts was completely within the stripes -- striping is much wider on the shorts.

I'm also pretty sure the side striping was just one colour (i.e. no trim colour), I believe it's red on the white, black on the red... can't recall the other two but would probably be red on black and gold on drake.

As quoted above here's the result and add some personal touch.

Home.jpg

Away.jpg

Alternate.jpg

Drake.jpg

But I've really a good feeling that Drake Alternate will be based on Back in Black of Miami so I made a 2nd version.

Drake2.jpg

I based the color of the jerseys from their current jersey sets as the side panels is based on it.

Number is based on the Raptors X OVO Playoffs Shirt http://www.blogto.com/upload/2015/04/2015417-raptors-ovo-playoffs.jpg

NOB is based on the font of the We the North shirt http://nba.frgimages.com/FFImage/thumb.aspx?i=%2FproductImages%2F_1793000%2Fff_1793233_xl.jpg&w=400

Neck is based on Brooklyn's and Hornets' Jersey (Latest Trend)

Arm is based on Hornets' and Pelicans' Jersey (Latest Trend)

Credit:

tbdaniel15 for the Template

Conrad for the Fonts

Guy posted this on realgm forum regarding raptors upcoming jerseys: not sure if he's full of :censored: but he claims to know what they will look like

"I can confirm the jerseys will look like this however it will be a V-Neck. A friend of mine knows someone that works for NBA Canada and showed him pictures of our new jerseys, court and the 2016 NBA All-Star Game Logo. Those jerseys looks exactly how he described it with the exception of the v-neck. Home colour will be white and away will be all red, there will be an OVO black and gold alternate as well. I know this doesn't sound believable but just watch, he also said the All-Star logo looks like complete a**. Feel free to call me a liar and ridicule me but just wait and watch, these are the jerseys. He even said how the logo is like a belly button on the jersey. The trim I can't confirm though but the the lettering and logo placement is legit. They plan on releasing numerous versions through out the next couple years, he told me there will be a grey jersey and their will also be one that says "WE THE NORTH" instead of raptors." icon_ead2.gif

vGbFjmc.jpg

- four uniforms

- all four uniforms follow the exact same template, just the colours are changed around

- number font is nothing I've seen used before (you really see it in the number "4") but still "blockish" in general

- the trim on the side of the jerseys are broken up by two horizontal stripes close to the armpits, a nod to their current jersey design

- while my source told me there is a small logo under the numbers, the versions I saw did not have this logo

So based on the details, I'm guessing the Raptors will look something like this?

mY5DJEC.png

That's pretty close, i know the logo on the side of the shorts was completely within the stripes -- striping is much wider on the shorts.

I'm also pretty sure the side striping was just one colour (i.e. no trim colour), I believe it's red on the white, black on the red... can't recall the other two but would probably be red on black and gold on drake.

Home.jpg

Away.jpg

Alternate.jpg

Drake.jpg

But I've really a good feeling that Drake Alternate will be based on Back in Black of Miami so I made a 2nd version.

Drake2.jpg

I based the color of the jerseys from their current jersey sets as the side panels is based on it.

Number is based on the Raptors X OVO Playoffs Shirt http://www.blogto.com/upload/2015/04/2015417-raptors-ovo-playoffs.jpg

NOB is based on the font of the We the North shirt http://nba.frgimages.com/FFImage/thumb.aspx?i=%2FproductImages%2F_1793000%2Fff_1793233_xl.jpg&w=400

Credit:

Conrad for the Fonts

These would be perfect but you are missing the logo belly button.
shado_logo.gif

They should embrace the Purple. As soon as I saw these concepts I knew that anything else was inferior:

16857248676_d94af213c3_o.jpg16881964072_aa686a42a3_o.jpg16695746950_4038f57c52_o.jpg

Holy hell this concept is incredible! Who made these?

I agree about the purple. But gold isn't all that bad, because it sets them apart from other teams with purple.

Hi. I'm the one who designed these. I saw a few of my designs pop up here so I thought I'd sign up to the forum. Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated!

The white and red mockups based on the new uniform rumors are also mine. I've posted these up on RealGM previously.

They should embrace the Purple. As soon as I saw these concepts I knew that anything else was inferior:

16857248676_d94af213c3_o.jpg16881964072_aa686a42a3_o.jpg16695746950_4038f57c52_o.jpg

I agree about the purple. But gold isn't all that bad, because it sets them apart from other teams with purple.

Hi. I'm the one who designed these. I saw a few of my designs pop up here so I thought I'd sign up to the forum. Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated!

The white and red mockups based on the new uniform rumors are also mine. I've posted these up on RealGM previously.

Good stuff man. Welcome aboard!

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Letting you know most of your stuff is also now up on Raptors Republic, the better Raptor forum.

vGbFjmc.jpg

- four uniforms

mY5DJEC.png

Home.jpg

Away.jpg

Alternate.jpg

Drake.jpg

Drake2.jpg

Credit:

Conrad for the Fonts

These would be perfect but you are missing the logo belly button.

Thank you for the appreciation.

I don't put the belly logo because I read this.

So, based on the above jersey images, we literally have the same jerseys as last year, with the addition of the drake alternate? boring. Although i truly believe they should go black and gold so they have some sense of an original identity in the league.

Based on Chris' mockups on the home page. The new jerseys aren't horrible but still a slight downgrade. Some people probably won't even notice the difference other than the OVO alternate.

The logo still sucks though.

Oh and obligatory #BringBackPurple.

I posted this over on the main NBA thread but it didn't get any traction. I'm just wondering what you guys think of this page from the NBA catalog:

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-13%20at%202.35.2

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-14%20at%201.20.2

As you can see, each shirt has a team specific number font. However, Toronto's does not have a block font like everyone seems to have used for their mockups. Wouldn't it just say "TBD" instead of using a placeholder font? Is there anything to this? Or am I reaching?

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Given the latest mockups - those on the main page - are accurate,I'd have to say this is a very,very bland attempt of rebranding the Raptors. But then again it fits with how everything design-related seems to go: Plain,simple and "flat". It desperately needs some flair (would that be adding purple or anything else). It's not the worst rebrand there is (Clippers... *cough) but it's very uninteresting.If anything they could have used gold more prominently at least.

Archived