Toronto Raptors rebrand

MkDon

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris's Newest Mock-Up:

Toronto-Raptors-New-Uniform-Mockup-2-590

Kinda has a Wal-Mart knockoff vibe to it. Like a generic supermarket jersey issued to look like the currents (but obviously quite off and cheap). Pretty disappointing. I'm with those of you who are wondering what the point of rolling these out even was.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

This rebrand - as others have pointed out - feels random and unnecessary. If you want to change the look, fine, but really change it. This feels like a knockoff of their previous look, as if someone sued them and they had to immediately put together a new identity. The claw ball would make a great secondary logo, but as a primary it just doesn't have enough to it. On its own the ball just feels like a ball someone partially-edited in Photoshop. It's missing something. O wait, character.

I don't think they're fauxbacks. I think Toronto should have something more modern considering their '90s beginning, very '90s name and that they've always worn crazy or modern uniforms. Still, these are just a traditional basketball template with painfully bland wordmarks and numbers. Put a nice, unique wordmark on those and lose the screen print t-shirt numbers and those could conceivably be timeless. You want fauxback? Look no further than the Bucks.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I don't think they're fauxbacks. I think Toronto should have something more modern considering their '90s beginning, very '90s name and that they've always worn crazy or modern uniforms. Still, these are just a traditional basketball template with painfully bland wordmarks and numbers. Put a nice, unique wordmark on those and lose the screen print t-shirt numbers and those could conceivably be timeless. You want fauxback? Look no further than the Bucks.

To me, they feel like someone took the current uniforms and tried to imagine a uniform from the 1950s or 1960s from which they could have evolved. If you put these next to the current ones and asked someone who had never seen them which they thought had come first, I'd bet they'd be likely to think that the current ones evolved from the new ones rather than the other way around.

With the Bucks, the new ones don't resemble anything from their past enough for it to look like an evolution. Still a fauxback, but a different category, if you get my drift.

To me, they feel like someone took the current uniforms and tried to imagine a uniform from the 1950s or 1960s from which they could have evolved. If you put these next to the current ones and asked someone who had never seen them which they thought had come first, I'd bet they'd be likely to think that the current ones evolved from the new ones rather than the other way around.

Don't worry guys -- since fashion is considered to be cyclical, we'll only have 50 years or so until we get the dino look back.

Countdown to 2065.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

I posted this over on the main NBA thread but it didn't get any traction. I'm just wondering what you guys think of this page from the NBA catalog:

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-13%20at%202.35.2

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-14%20at%201.20.2

As you can see, each shirt has a team specific number font. However, Toronto's does not have a block font like everyone seems to have used for their mockups. Wouldn't it just say "TBD" instead of using a placeholder font? Is there anything to this? Or am I reaching?

Good spot! That is kind of weird especially since all the other fonts are updated. Including the exclusion of the yet to be released Hawks and Clippers fonts. Another point to look at is that Philadelphia is going basic block with their new uniforms as well.

Not sure if it's been covered, and there may be nothing to it... But OKC has their NOB below the number in the instance of those t-shirts. And I also find it odd that their Christmas jersey is navy rather than their usual light blue. I know they have a navy alternate, but it's an entirely different template (as far as the stripes are concerned).

Could their new alt be navy? With names under the numbers?

Edit, wrong thread

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I'll be honest, I don't hate them. That clawed out ball logo though....

Edit- No Toronto on the away ??

They haven't worn "Toronto" on their roads in over a decade, I think.

At least their current alt has the city name; I find it silly that all four of the new jerseys say "Raptors".

The current unis are basically the Carter set with less character. Still, the scripts, side panels, and logo were good enough to partially redeem them. This, however? It takes away all that was creative and halfway-decent about the Raptors brand and replaces it with uniforms that look like they were made in an off-season rush after a last-minute relocation.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I wish people weren't so down on the Drake colors. The Raptors need a color scheme they can own, whether that's Maple Leaf blue and white (my preference), purple and red (not averse), or black and gold (I can deal), but red and black belongs to the Bulls and the greatest player of all time, and to a lesser extent the Trail Blazers.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived