Toronto Raptors rebrand

MkDon

From Instagram

1- who are these guys

2- is that the new road uniform behind themarket (black uni- top left,red road -behind the guy on the right? ??)??

Pretty sure the one in the left corner is this (based on the side panels):

21c2150c251bae3dac1c.jpg

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Instagram

1- who are these guys

2- is that the new road uniform behind themarket (black uni- top left,red road -behind the guy on the right? ??)??

Pretty sure the one in the left corner is this (based on the side panels):

21c2150c251bae3dac1c.jpg

The panels on that jersey in the pic seem to be less angled. Look closely. You'll see they're almost straight, like Chris said in his mockup.

Of everything said about the Raptors new logo, I have to say it could work..if they paid attention to detail a little more. For me, the biggest flaw of it is the "E" that can't help but push towards the eye. Being a designer myself, I always try to see significance in little details and symbols. For God's sake, there is an "E" that could be the focal point of the logo...If they were located in say, El Paso or Euclid, or wherever that starts with an E I could live with it. The fact that the designer's goal was to create a claw mark trail is fine, but it's illogical when the letter "E" comes from it and you don't even care. Man 1: "Hey that's a great claw mark on that ball, but it kinda looks like the letter E man." Designer: "Well you're right, but it isn't supposed to be the letter E." Man 1: "Well don't you think it matters if there's a letter E in the logo?" Designer: "Nah, I don't think it matters, I'm trying to show a claw mark, not the letter E." This dialogue could go on forever. What it comes down to is Man 1 is right and the Designer is wrong. Never create something with an intention, then disregard what you ACTUALLY made for respect to your intention. Horrible logo, which will forever be known to me as: Toronto Raptors E logo. A good reference to my argument is this clip from Everybody Loves Raymond:

https://youtu.be/jpppJ5ecnW8

i guess it kind of shows an E but either way with a 3 finger claw, it is going to say M, E, or W, unless the claw is on the right pointing to the center which wouldnt look right, tbh a majority of the fans havent noticed it yet, and even so due to the fact that there isnt anything significant going on with the letter will never notice it.

I've already talked to numerous Raptor fans and they have spoken on the "E." I don't think the fan base won't notice it. It bugged me the minute I saw the logo. If it does form and E or M or W, then that's the designers fault for not trashing and trying something else. Laziness. Go ahead and do a google search and you'll see all the complaints on the "E" in the logo. All over twitter, NBA forums, here, people I talk to in person...

Of everything said about the Raptors new logo, I have to say it could work..if they paid attention to detail a little more. For me, the biggest flaw of it is the "E" that can't help but push towards the eye. Being a designer myself, I always try to see significance in little details and symbols. For God's sake, there is an "E" that could be the focal point of the logo...If they were located in say, El Paso or Euclid, or wherever that starts with an E I could live with it. The fact that the designer's goal was to create a claw mark trail is fine, but it's illogical when the letter "E" comes from it and you don't even care. Man 1: "Hey that's a great claw mark on that ball, but it kinda looks like the letter E man." Designer: "Well you're right, but it isn't supposed to be the letter E." Man 1: "Well don't you think it matters if there's a letter E in the logo?" Designer: "Nah, I don't think it matters, I'm trying to show a claw mark, not the letter E." This dialogue could go on forever. What it comes down to is Man 1 is right and the Designer is wrong. Never create something with an intention, then disregard what you ACTUALLY made for respect to your intention. Horrible logo, which will forever be known to me as: Toronto Raptors E logo. A good reference to my argument is this clip from Everybody Loves Raymond:

i guess it kind of shows an E but either way with a 3 finger claw, it is going to say M, E, or W, unless the claw is on the right pointing to the center which wouldnt look right, tbh a majority of the fans havent noticed it yet, and even so due to the fact that there isnt anything significant going on with the letter will never notice it.

I've already talked to numerous Raptor fans and they have spoken on the "E." I don't think the fan base won't notice it. It bugged me the minute I saw the logo. If it does form and E or M or W, then that's the designers fault for not trashing and trying something else. Laziness. Go ahead and do a google search and you'll see all the complaints on the "E" in the logo. All over twitter, NBA forums, here, people I talk to in person...

Oh well, i won't lose sleep over an E in a logo which really isn't even an "E". Sure, it could have been done better but so could have the entire logo. From what i seen prior to my post, on other forums (i may have missed them, I'm human) was more complaints about the logo as a whole and very little to none about it having a subliminal "E" in it, and that is why i made that comment. Either way; we're stuck with it. I think the logo, while flawed, looks pretty good, and over time it will get better and better.

Didn't see an 'E' in it to this point and even with you mentioning it, it's a reach.

Never once saw an "E" lol, I think the reason we see the PACMAN in the hawks logo is that it's something we recognize as another object. Even now looking at it and changing my perception of the logo I don't see an "E".

doesn't really matter lol was just something bothering me and people I've talked to. if you google "raptors logo letter e" you will see results. not a big deal, just bad logo, bad design imo. It was like the Wild logo, when I saw it first I saw a landcape and then the bear. Some people say they saw bear and then landscape...Not a reach at all.

What would you guys think if they had gone with something more like this for the new logo? I always loved the little triangles they used to spell out Toronto and wanted to find a way to keep it.

rapslogo.png

(I admittedly had no idea what to put on the bottom. I was between "basketball", "Canada", and the "Established" date.)

It needs work. But it's actually a really good start!

Here's a quick tip: If you want the logo to include the traditional spikes, they don't have to be at the top of the logo that size only. You can shrink them and include them somewhere else in the logo. It doesn't need to mimic the old version too much.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived