The worst logos in NCAA Division I - Schools that are in dire need of a rebrand.

Luke_Groundrunner

A school, with the current branding, I am ashamed to call my alma mater

5440_buffalo_bulls-wordmark-2007.png

As soon as they drop it, and the whole "New York Bulls Initative" crap, ill donate and attend sporting events

until then, not a penny from me and I will not be in attendance at any sporting events.

I've hated this from the first time I saw it. It is beyond stupid. On the bright side, you guys just hired yourself a hell of a football coach. Your program will be on the rise.

We might even get to the Bahamas Bowl next year! I'm a fellow alumnus, but I don't mind the NEW YORK branding. The only thing I don't really like is that they've only gone half-way. They want to push the NEW YORK thing, but the football helmets (even the new alt helmet this year) still look like this:

uEsNvJse_400x400.jpeg

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As soon as they drop it, and the whole "New York Bulls Initative" crap, ill donate and attend sporting events

until then, not a penny from me and I will not be in attendance at any sporting events.

I've hated this from the first time I saw it. It is beyond stupid. On the bright side, you guys just hired yourself a hell of a football coach. Your program will be on the rise.

We might even get to the Bahamas Bowl next year! I'm a fellow alumnus, but I don't mind the NEW YORK branding. The only thing I don't really like is that they've only gone half-way. They want to push the NEW YORK thing, but the football helmets (even the new alt helmet this year) still look like this:

uEsNvJse_400x400.jpeg

my thing is, i want my sports team and school to represent my home and my city, not the state of NY. and let's be serious, UB will never be more popular than what Syracuse is.

I would rather have a NAIA sporting program that is a buffalo team than a New York DI sport program

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Oh, a comment I forgot to make

if they are the NY Bulls, then were's the bull?

It wouldnt honestly be as bad if they dropped the Buffalo text from the old bull logo(like what the centre logo at UB stadium ùsed to be)

But using a wordmark as an effective primary logo, especially one with as weird proportions? Nope. It would fit as a logo under the hoops/end zones(i wouldnt like it, but), but not as a primary

5qWs8RS.png

It wouldnt honestly be as bad if they dropped the Buffalo text from the old bull logo(like what the centre logo at UB stadium ùsed to be)

But using a wordmark as an effective primary logo, especially one with as weird proportions? Nope. It would fit as a logo under the hoops/end zones(i wouldnt like it, but), but not as a primary

header_logo.png

I think the bull logo they were using was a pretty darn good one. Seems foolish to make a workmark your primary logo. Everyhting about the direction they are going is a huge downgrade. Words can't even describe how awful that looks on a jersey.

buf-13-allwhite-1-675x380.jpg

header_logo.png

I think the bull logo they were using was a pretty darn good one. Seems foolish to make a workmark your primary logo. Everyhting about the direction they are going is a huge downgrade. Words can't even describe how awful that looks on a jersey.

buf-13-allwhite-1-675x380.jpg

I liked this helmet

5446.gif

PvO6ZWJ.png

It's sure not easy to yank the title of "Biggest D1 branding nightmare" from my Milwaukee (or is it UWM? or UW-Milwaukee?) Panthers, but your Bulls have managed to do it in convincing and spectacular fashion.

Worst of all, it would ALMOST make sense if they were to try and brand as "New York State." But you're going to try and brand as "New York" with a "UB" on your helmet?

It's sure not easy to yank the title of "Biggest D1 branding nightmare" from my Milwaukee (or is it UWM? or UW-Milwaukee?) Panthers, but your Bulls have managed to do it in convincing and spectacular fashion.

Worst of all, it would ALMOST make sense if they were to try and brand as "New York State." But you're going to try and brand as "New York" with a "UB" on your helmet?

They way theyre trying to sell it is that the team should use the "official" name of the university, which is "State University of New York at Buffalo", which is true and on my degree, and just choosing to emphasize the NY part. However, look anywhere on campus and youll see "University at Buffalo, The State University of New York," which in common speech is just University at Buffalo or UB.

SUNY-Buffalo-Logo.jpg

It's super annoying, and the UB on the helmet is a way to soften the blow of trying to distance the teams from the city of Buffalo, but it's just pathetic. Look at our seal, it has the full name on it as well

5qWs8RS.png

Yeah... not following that logic at all. Wouldn't that mean Albany should brand as "New York" as well?

I completely agree with you pulling your support of the school and its athletic programs. University at Buffalo is the ideal alternative to that mouthful of a name.

They should have taken the gazillion dollars from Tom Golisano way back when to change the name of the whole university. I don't have any proof, but I feel like some of the branding mismatch might be because the athletics department went rogue and tried to change their name with zero corresponding support/action on the academic side.

They should have taken the gazillion dollars from Tom Golisano way back when to change the name of the whole university. I don't have any proof, but I feel like some of the branding mismatch might be because the athletics department went rogue and tried to change their name with zero corresponding support/action on the academic side.

That's exactly the problem with my school. It's why the athletic department has been pushing "Milwaukee," yet our arena is known as the UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena... which usually just gets shortened to UWM Arena, anyway.

Personally, I think we should just bite the bullet and be known as "UWM." There's already a NBA team in town known as "Milwaukee," and it makes no sense to claim the entire city when there's a more established and entrenched college basketball team (Marquette) that plays across State Street. If UAB and UCF can be known nationally by their initials, why can't we?

ANd oh, forgetting the whole NYBI garbage:

BLack needs to be eliminated, the uniforms looked so much better with a simple blue and white, like the flag of Buffalo rather than this black garbage.

Also, shiny helmets rather than dull

IN the case of UB, simpler is better

5qWs8RS.png

They finally jumped on the BFBS bandwagon when gray had already surpassed it as the trendiest color. I actually think some gray (subtracting the black at the same time, of course) wouldn't look half bad. It's already used in a lot of signage around the university. Or hell, even bring back red. Why not.

Edit: o-UNIVERSITY-AT-BUFFALO-SHALE-GAS-RESEAR

Speaking of Buffalo's NEW YORK efforts, that midfield logo with Montauk Point on the 27 yard line is so ungodly huge that the second they shrink that it'll be an upgrade. I mean, I get where Buffalo's trying to go with this NEW YORK stuff given it's the only SUNY in FBS, but.. ya know.. it's a system with 64 campuses and 3 other D-1 programs that are all rivals with Buffalo sorta athletically and definitely academically (that being Albany, Binghamton, and Stony Brook).

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Buffalo did just that and instead has broke it's athletic branding package a ton.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

I mean, I get where Buffalo's trying to go with this NEW YORK stuff given it's the only SUNY in FBS, but.. ya know.. it's a system with 64 campuses and 3 other D-1 programs that are all rivals with Buffalo sorta athletically and definitely academically (that being Albany, Binghamton, and Stony Brook).

Is it any different than Cal? Other than that UB should have done this 50 years ago?

I mean, I get where Buffalo's trying to go with this NEW YORK stuff given it's the only SUNY in FBS, but.. ya know.. it's a system with 64 campuses and 3 other D-1 programs that are all rivals with Buffalo sorta athletically and definitely academically (that being Albany, Binghamton, and Stony Brook).

Is it any different than Cal? Other than that UB should have done this 50 years ago?

The SUNY system is different than Cal is though,

Example: My Degree Says: State University of New York at Buffalo, while someone graduating from Cal Berkley simply says University of California, in addition to the fact that Cal was founded at Berkley

5qWs8RS.png

Well, SUNY is headquartered in Albany...

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well, SUNY is headquartered in Albany...

Nobody likes Albany.

Archived