The worst logos in NCAA Division I - Schools that are in dire need of a rebrand.

Luke_Groundrunner

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, I get where Buffalo's trying to go with this NEW YORK stuff given it's the only SUNY in FBS, but.. ya know.. it's a system with 64 campuses and 3 other D-1 programs that are all rivals with Buffalo sorta athletically and definitely academically (that being Albany, Binghamton, and Stony Brook).

Is it any different than Cal? Other than that UB should have done this 50 years ago?

Well, SUNY is headquartered in Albany...

Nobody likes Albany.

Other fun New York college fact: New York's Land-Grant?

Cornell. Yes, this is because the SUNY system itself wasn't established until 100 years after land-grant schools became a thing.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

They should have taken the gazillion dollars from Tom Golisano way back when to change the name of the whole university. I don't have any proof, but I feel like some of the branding mismatch might be because the athletics department went rogue and tried to change their name with zero corresponding support/action on the academic side.

That's exactly the problem with my school. It's why the athletic department has been pushing "Milwaukee," yet our arena is known as the UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena... which usually just gets shortened to UWM Arena, anyway.

Personally, I think we should just bite the bullet and be known as "UWM." There's already a NBA team in town known as "Milwaukee," and it makes no sense to claim the entire city when there's a more established and entrenched college basketball team (Marquette) that plays across State Street. If UAB and UCF can be known nationally by their initials, why can't we?

Personally, I have to respectfully disagree here.. I went to a D2 school and wrestled there, and we frequently competed against the "little brother" state schools (Nebraska-Kearney, Nebraska-Omaha, UNC-Pembroke, UW-Parkside, etc), and it always annoyed me that these teams straddled identities. Everyone simplifies the name when referencing them anyway (i.e. Kearney, Omaha, Parkside), and athletically, it sounds like you're trying to piggyback on the "name" of THE university (whichever one applies) that is the "big brother" to yours.. from an academic standpoint, they're technically all linked and it makes sense, but from an athletic standpoint, I personally prefer when they embrace their own individual identity wholeheartedly and try to strengthen that brand as much as possible..

They should have taken the gazillion dollars from Tom Golisano way back when to change the name of the whole university. I don't have any proof, but I feel like some of the branding mismatch might be because the athletics department went rogue and tried to change their name with zero corresponding support/action on the academic side.

That's exactly the problem with my school. It's why the athletic department has been pushing "Milwaukee," yet our arena is known as the UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena... which usually just gets shortened to UWM Arena, anyway.

Personally, I think we should just bite the bullet and be known as "UWM." There's already a NBA team in town known as "Milwaukee," and it makes no sense to claim the entire city when there's a more established and entrenched college basketball team (Marquette) that plays across State Street. If UAB and UCF can be known nationally by their initials, why can't we?

Personally, I have to respectfully disagree here.. I went to a D2 school and wrestled there, and we frequently competed against the "little brother" state schools (Nebraska-Kearney, Nebraska-Omaha, UNC-Pembroke, UW-Parkside, etc), and it always annoyed me that these teams straddled identities. Everyone simplifies the name when referencing them anyway (i.e. Kearney, Omaha, Parkside), and athletically, it sounds like you're trying to piggyback on the "name" of THE university (whichever one applies) that is the "big brother" to yours.. from an academic standpoint, they're technically all linked and it makes sense, but from an athletic standpoint, I personally prefer when they embrace their own individual identity wholeheartedly and try to strengthen that brand as much as possible..

I can agree. Generally people say "Kearney" around here, sometimes "UNK." With Nebraska-Omaha, people will generally say "UNO," but I have heard it just referred to as "Omaha." But I also do hear a lot of "UNL" as opposed to just "Nebraska."

For a long time, I was a huge advocate of the team being known as Milwaukee and nothing else. I think part of the problem is we have a generic nickname like Panthers. No unique mascot like Gophers or Hurricanes to separate us from the other sports teams known as Milwaukee the way Minnesota and Miami do. In fact, if you refer to "the Panthers game," most people would think of a NFL game involving Carolina. Thus, most people end up referring to us as UWM or UW-Milwaukee anyway.

I'd still get behind branding as Milwaukee if it could be done correctly, but I think even as UWM, our colors are enough to distinguish us from UW-Madison (especially when they're referred to as UW, with no qualifier).

Like I said before, I'd just let Madison be "Wisconsin" and carry all the "UW" weight, while Milwaukee embraces "MILWAUKEE", but that's just all part of branding and culture. To me, being just another one of the UW-Something's is not only weaker within the city, but weaker and confusing throughout the state.. having the Panthers moniker to differentiate yourself from other entities within the city fixes that problem while the "Milwaukee" distinction clarifies any "UW-xxxx" confusion.

Like I said before, I'd just let Madison be "Wisconsin" and carry all the "UW" weight, while Milwaukee embraces "MILWAUKEE", but that's just all part of branding and culture. To me, being just another one of the UW-Something's is not only weaker within the city, but weaker and confusing throughout the state.. having the Panthers moniker to differentiate yourself from other entities within the city fixes that problem while the "Milwaukee" distinction clarifies any "UW-xxxx" confusion.

In my perfect world, we'd be the University of Milwaukee and we'd be known as the Gulls again. I'd love it if we could actually pull off being known strictly as "Milwaukee," but the academic side of the university is run by clueless boomers who actually think the "UW-" part of our name is an asset and not a burden. This is how we have a basketball team trying to brand itself as "Milwaukee" playing at the "UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena."

Aside from the UW-Milwaukee logo, the rest of the Horizon League is pretty bad as well:

It's true... the Horizon may be the ugliest conference in Division 1.

It almost makes me want to cry when I see how nice a mid-major like the WCC looks by comparison. Even their worst logos would be amongst our better ones.

Aside from the UW-Milwaukee logo, the rest of the Horizon League is pretty bad as well:

It's true... the Horizon may be the two ugliest conference in Division 1.

It almost makes me want to cry when I see how nice a mid-major like the WCC looks by comparison. Even their worst logos would be amongst our better ones.

I feel like Detroit and Oakland have nice brands. I've always liked YSU's penguine, and I think Wright State doesn't look bad either. Milwaukee isn't one of the worst by all means, but the others bring it down.

A few more nominees, although I may offend many loyalties (Part 1):

05i7bhidxxhy1et8cenggg18k.gif

LSU dropped Toonces this year, and it slowly integrating the new Tiger logo into things. It's currently on the football helmets.

1332948.jpg

Why does the new tiger have antlers?

Not sure if any of you have seen this one before, it's a concept

done by Torch Creative which IMO looks really good.

lsu_concept.jpg

Archived