The worst logos in NCAA Division I - Schools that are in dire need of a rebrand.

Luke_Groundrunner

I always cringe when these guys are doing well in football. Seems so Division III or Rookie League baseball. Need a more refined look to match the recent success of the program in football. Too cartoony.

East_Carolina_Pirates_logo.png

I llove East Carolina's look...their uniforms look great and that logo makes the best midfield logo in the nation.

dowdy-ficklen-midfield-logo.jpg

Love that camel logo pages back too...and don't dare question the U, it's a classic!

I'll nominate Rhode Island's logo....their uniforms are beautiful but this logo is atrocious:

4708.gif

87Redskins.png

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My computer won't let me post pictures on this site for some reason, but Western Illinois recently switched there logo a little bit. They added a globe and eagle to the logo. It has since become the new primary logo.

They put the bulldog in the US Marines logo

header_logo.png

Since leathernecks is a term for marine it kind of makes sense, but its still kind of tacky to slap a bulldog on it and call it a day.

Western can't exactly lose Rocky either, sees as he's the actual mascot.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

A school, with the current branding, I am ashamed to call my alma mater

5440_buffalo_bulls-wordmark-2007.png

As soon as they drop it, and the whole "New York Bulls Initative" crap, ill donate and attend sporting events

until then, not a penny from me and I will not be in attendance at any sporting events.

It's sure not easy to yank the title of "Biggest D1 branding nightmare" from my Milwaukee (or is it UWM? or UW-Milwaukee?) Panthers, but your Bulls have managed to do it in convincing and spectacular fashion.

Worst of all, it would ALMOST make sense if they were to try and brand as "New York State." But you're going to try and brand as "New York" with a "UB" on your helmet?

They way theyre trying to sell it is that the team should use the "official" name of the university, which is "State University of New York at Buffalo", which is true and on my degree, and just choosing to emphasize the NY part. However, look anywhere on campus and youll see "University at Buffalo, The State University of New York," which in common speech is just University at Buffalo or UB.

SUNY-Buffalo-Logo.jpg

It's super annoying, and the UB on the helmet is a way to soften the blow of trying to distance the teams from the city of Buffalo, but it's just pathetic. Look at our seal, it has the full name on it as well

From their most recent style guide. Definitely confusing.

University Proper Name References

• Formal: University at Buffalo, The State University of New York™ - Preferred
  • Informal: University at Buffalo
  • Casual: UB
  • Although “State University of New York at Buffalo” is still an acceptable name, it is reserved for those instances in which the communication is directed primarily toward an international audience. As the international audience becomes increasingly familiar with our formal “University at Buffalo, The State University of New York” name, the “State University of New York at Buffalo” name should no longer be used.

As soon as they drop it, and the whole "New York Bulls Initative" crap, ill donate and attend sporting events

until then, not a penny from me and I will not be in attendance at any sporting events.

It's sure not easy to yank the title of "Biggest D1 branding nightmare" from my Milwaukee (or is it UWM? or UW-Milwaukee?) Panthers, but your Bulls have managed to do it in convincing and spectacular fashion.

Worst of all, it would ALMOST make sense if they were to try and brand as "New York State." But you're going to try and brand as "New York" with a "UB" on your helmet?

They way theyre trying to sell it is that the team should use the "official" name of the university, which is "State University of New York at Buffalo", which is true and on my degree, and just choosing to emphasize the NY part. However, look anywhere on campus and youll see "University at Buffalo, The State University of New York," which in common speech is just University at Buffalo or UB.

SUNY-Buffalo-Logo.jpg

It's super annoying, and the UB on the helmet is a way to soften the blow of trying to distance the teams from the city of Buffalo, but it's just pathetic. Look at our seal, it has the full name on it as well

• Although “State University of New York at Buffalo” is still an acceptable name, it is reserved for those instances in which the communication is directed primarily toward an international audience. As the international audience becomes increasingly familiar with our formal “University at Buffalo, The State University of New York” name, the “State University of New York at Buffalo” name should no longer be used.

It's even more confusing because everything you said is correct and what I used/heard/saw when i went to UB(graduated 2014), my degree still says "State University of New York at Buffalo"

I feel like thatll change in the future though to reflect reality.

wow sorry i just repeated myself, I apologize. it's been a while

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

They would never do it, but I've always thought Miami's U logo was pretty lazy and uninspiring.

uMiamiLogo.gif

Is there any significance to one side being orange and the other green? Always wanted to know.

I personally love the U. It's iconic, recognizable, and still looks somehow modern even though it's 40 years old.

Is it just because the city flag is a orange/white/green pattern? Maybe it's something else.

Yup, the city of Coral Gables flag is indeed green, white and orange...

1ea93996-abb1-4d2c-95a7-3a16d54a3292_l.J

The flag took its colors from, you guessed it, the orange tree.

OrangeBloss_wb.jpg

State of Florida->Orange trees->City of Coral Gables->University Of Miami->Orange, Green, White (mostly background) colored "U".

SUNY-Buffalo-Logo.jpg

It's even more confusing because everything you said is correct and what I used/heard/saw when i went to UB(graduated 2014), my degree still says "State University of New York at Buffalo"

I feel like thatll change in the future though to reflect reality.

wow sorry i just repeated myself, I apologize. it's been a while

I never opened my degree. Or at least I think it's my degree. It's either a degree, or a letter telling me that I need to retake remedial science 1A.

My top 5: (non HBCU, cause just about most of then would qualify)

Butler - looks dated to me, I'd say a refresh and adding a alternate logo would help with the brand more.

Wofford - the "w" again looks dated, and the terrier logo is beyond horrible

Gardner-Webb - Looks like a rip-off of Gonzaga, nuff said.

Tennessee St - again dated and the font screames 80's

SIU-Edwardsville - what in the heck is THAT?? Oh a cougar? Yikes!!!

My top 5: (non HBCU, cause just about most of then would qualify)

Butler - looks dated to me, I'd say a refresh and adding a alternate logo would help with the brand more.

Wofford - the "w" again looks dated, and the terrier logo is beyond horrible

Gardner-Webb - Looks like a rip-off of Gonzaga, nuff said.

Tennessee St - again dated and the font screames 80's

SIU-Edwardsville - what in the heck is THAT?? Oh a cougar? Yikes!!!

Tennessee State is a HBCU but doesn't play in a HBCU conference.

GrizzlyBlack Designs, UDC Firebird

The entire branding for SUNY is a mess. Such convoluted and needlessly wordy school names.

How about

New York State University - Buffalo. Rinse, repeat for the 64 other campuses. "Buffalo State" for short.

It's the difference between using the active and passive voice in writing.

The entire branding for SUNY is a mess. Such convoluted and needlessly wordy school names.

How about

New York State University - Buffalo. Rinse, repeat for the 64 other campuses. "Buffalo State" for short.

Well, you see the issue is there's already a Buffalo State...

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

How about

The branding for UB was pretty consistent with the academic and athletic sides, until the athletic department went rogue and embraced the "New York". 99% of the time it was "University at Buffalo"; the full "SUNY University at Buffalo" was for formal things like diplomas and some official releases. It's not much different than Ford/Ford Motor Company or Disney/The Walt Disney Company.

FBS: 1. Northwestern

2. Memphis

3. Tulsa

4. Minnesota

5. Georgia Tech

FCS(and the rest): 1. Butler

2. Stephen F. Austin

3. Charleston Southern

4. Hartford

5. Fairleigh Dickinson

Speaking of FDU, I present to you the worst capital S in college sports.

viyo8XB.png?2

rt5O3ox.png

Yes everything about there identity is dated, hope somebody's lil birdies have news on a rebrand for them or some of the others on peoples lists for the upcoming year??

Archived