Pro teams in need of a rebrand

damnyoutuesday

Sure, there are beaucoup New Jerseyites. I don't know why the Nets failed and the Devils are flailing. I'd be tempted to say that, as was once said of another city, "there's no 'there' there". It's an extended set of suburbs and satellite towns, some of them urban in their own right, all in the shadow of the largest and most influential city in the nation.

And sure, many of the people who live west of the Hudson River work and/or play in Gotham and see themselves as part of the larger urban culture. But I also would expect a certain amount of " :censored: those other guys, we're Jersey!", though that just doesn't seem to be enough to support a professional sports franchise. That is exactly what we have in Brooklyn - the borough is (almost?) as populous as Northern New Jersey, but from my perspective has a much more cohesive identity. That is fertile ground for a fanbase to grow. Not to mention that "Brooklyn" has more cache, more marketing allure, than "New Jersey". Even when "Brooklyn" was synonymous with "place you don't want to go after dark", it was still more marketable.

That's why I cringe every time someone suggests that North Jersey could be a landing place for the Rays. Major League Baseball more than any other sport requires an urban center. Putting them in Newark or Jersey City would be St. Pete North.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brooklyn is "cool" New Jersey isn't.

We consider ourselves New Jerseyans, but the people who grew up here have always supported NYC's teams or in South Jersey Philadelphia's teams. We are in between two major cities and their TV markets, and in those markets the Devils and Nets when they played on this side of the Hudson naturally don't get much play.

PS. I personally feel like I can call myself New Yorker as much as anyone else. I work and play in NYC, I can see Manhatten skyline from my porch. I live as close to Central Park as anyone in Queens or Brooklyn.

By the way, I live in NJ and have never supported the Red Bull or MetroStars. I'm not a big follower for MLS, but I'm already more interested in NYFC than I ever was in the team Red Bulls/MetroStars. I'm a Yankee fan so they already have that connection plus the identity is way better. Who wants to support a team named after an energy drink? Hopefully they can find themselves a good spot for a stadium, its too bad the location near Yankee Stadium in the Bronx fell through.

In the NFL, the Titans, Jets and Washington's all need a complete overhaul. The Bengals could also use a redesign. Its time there. A few of the usual whipping boy teams (Atlanta and Arizona to name 2) aren't nearly as ghastly as some here like to think. They have stood the test of time well. Atlanta could use red pants to pair with their white jerseys and bring back the black alt. But their design is workable.

A few other teams need some tweaks. Nothing too major, but a few additions and subtractions here and there. Most NFL teams aren't doing too bad though. Much better then the league looked as a whole 20 years ago. Much better and more in line with the current era and century we are living in.

this location thing is odd to me. i dont see whats wrong with claiming the nearest major city as your home.

Santa Clara (49ers) is basically in San Jose, and a long way from San Francisco.

I understand why teams want to be named after a "cooler" city (even when they are in a completely different State) but would say I'd draw the line at bypassing the closest big city in favor of a cooler big city much farther away.

Seeing as how the Niners, Jets, and Giants have been San Francisco and New York respectively for over 50 years (more for the Giants and Niners) I don't think they should now have to change to the San Jose 49ers and New Jersey Giants/Jets.....

I'd agree except for in the Niners' case, there are 2 large, major cities closer than San Francisco to where they actually play.

Worst City/Name offenders in the NFL

1. 49ers

Santa Clara to:

- San Francisco 38 miles

- Oakland 33 miles

- San Jose 5 miles

2. Dolphins (technically still Miami name though)

Miami Gardens, Florida to:

- Miami 14 miles

3. Bills

Orchard Park, NY to:

- Buffalo 11 miles

4. Giants/Jets

East Rutherford, New Jersey to:

- New York City 9 miles

4. Cowboys

Irving, Texas to:

- Dallas 9 miles

6. Redskins

Landover, Maryland to:

- Washington DC 7 miles

Dallas plays in Arlington now.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Complete overhaul for the Jets? What do you have in mind? I personally dont feel a overhaul is needed. More like cleaning it up and tightening the look. I mentioned it in another thread but I can not stand when players wear black cleats, gloves, tape, knee/elbow braces, undershirts. Black isn't one of their colors and just ruins the look.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/100852-uniforms-that-frustrate-you/?p=2360322

I don't want to see them try to create a "modern" jet logo, lest they need to update it every couple years to keep current with the latest DoD boondoggle. If they are to change their helmet logo, they already have the perfect replacement in their set:

6529373231_174659f28d_o.jpg

Simple, distinctive, classic and referencing their history. That's only a couple years of use from being iconic.

Worst City/Name offenders in the NFL

1. 49ers
Santa Clara to:
- San Francisco 38 miles
- Oakland 33 miles
- San Jose 5 miles

The name could still be considered technically correct, because they could just choose to say that the 49ers are named after the SF Bay Area (in which Santa Clara is part of) and not specifically the city of San Francisco. I know it would technically be a lie, but it's a way for them to avoid the whole name offender thing. :)

Still, it's crazy to know that they could just be Oakland's 2nd team, considering how close they are to Oakland.

Wouldn't be against a helmet logo change. Maybe updated version of this. Make it look less like a dolphin, more like a jet plane.First_logo_Jets_Gallery.jpgziesha08xvtyzc3cwj0aaenrl.gif

I don't want to see them try to create a "modern" jet logo, lest they need to update it every couple years to keep current with the latest DoD boondoggle. If they are to change their helmet logo, they already have the perfect replacement in their set:6529373231_174659f28d_o.jpg

Simple, distinctive, classic and referencing their history. That's only a couple years of use from being iconic.

Can they make a green helmet with white logo? White helmets are the WORST

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

I don't know why the Nets failed and the Devils are flailing.

The Nets were always a cheap operation, and a general manager who begins each day by soiling his pants isn't helping, respectively.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

But it's not like they didn't win.

The Nets won the East and I could still buy same-day Finals tickets to sit in a half-empty section. Show me that in any other city.

Miami says hi.

(In regards to the Marlins, of course...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I don't want to see them try to create a "modern" jet logo, lest they need to update it every couple years to keep current with the latest DoD boondoggle. If they are to change their helmet logo, they already have the perfect replacement in their set:

6529373231_174659f28d_o.jpg

YES PLEASE! That logo is better than the ny the Giants use, and has some visual movement. It's also conveys the idea without being cartoony like "hey we're named after Jets here's a drawing of a Jet" that I think a New York team is above portraying.

It's also simple, but identifiable, and doesn't have all the unreadable garbage the current logo has. This has too much going on.

JetsLogo.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived