Pro teams in need of a rebrand

MNtwins3

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets name is in reference to jet airplanes not fighter jets. The name comes from all the commercial planes that flew over Shea Stadium from near by LaGuardia airport. Why the logo looks like this and not like the one's above.

y09c9rfac1n79trqqcefemcyo.gif

Commercial jets are large, slow, and not very maneuverable. A fighter jet is sleek, fast, versitile, and aggressive. If they must go with the image of a jet (which I don't think they need to do, the oval NY is perfect) then going with a fighter jet is the way to go.

MetLife is five miles from the USS Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum. It's docked on the Hudson between NY and NJ. It's certainly a better local connection than "our stadium is next to the airport".

intrepid_air_space_museum_v2_460x285.jpg

6529373231_174659f28d_o.jpg

Only hesitation may be it's too similar to the concept used by the Giants?

giants%2Bhelmet.jpg

I don't think so...it's less similar than Mets/Yankees. Given the colors upper/lower case, in an oval vs. not in an oval, I don't think it's a problem.
I agree. I think they're plenty distinct from each other.

That Jets logo looks more like a Packers ripoff than anything.

Jets name is in reference to jet airplanes not fighter jets. The name comes from all the commercial planes that flew over Shea Stadium from near by LaGuardia airport. Why the logo looks like this and not like the one's above.

Commercial jets are large, slow, and not very maneuverable. A fighter jet is sleek, fast, versitile, and aggressive. If they must go with the image of a jet (which I don't think they need to do, the oval NY is perfect) then going with a fighter jet is the way to go.

MetLife is five miles from the USS Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum. It's docked on the Hudson between NY and NJ. It's certainly a better local connection than "our stadium is next to the airport".

does it matter which one is better? or which one is actually correct?

The only professional sports team that needs a rebrand is the LA Clippers. I would be thrilled if they dropped the name Clippers altogether and went with another name, but besides that, their current logo is outdated and if they are gonna be called the clippers, then at least use an actual boat in the logo.

spacer.png

does it matter which one is better? or which one is actually correct?

Yes, because the point of contention is whether or not the Jets could/should use a fighter jet or a passenger jet in their logo.

The only professional sports team that needs a rebrand is the LA Clippers. I would be thrilled if they dropped the name Clippers altogether and went with another name, but besides that, their current logo is outdated and if they are gonna be called the clippers, then at least use an actual boat in the logo.

Clippers, like the Padres, have a perfectly good, past look that they for some reason refuse to embrace. Probably needs a bit more updating than the Padres but the San Diego Clippers look would be a great base to re-rebrand from.

san-diego-clippers-acx09531_2.jpg

That's a very Jersey-generous description. The Intrepid is docked at Manhattan's Pier 86. In New York City.

You might as well say Martha's Vineyard is a small island between Massachusetts and England. :P

On 1/2/2015 at 2:06 PM, hawk36 said:
On 1/2/2015 at 1:21 PM, nuordr said:

Clippers, like the Padres, have a perfectly good, past look that they for some reason refuse to embrace. Probably needs a bit more updating than the Padres but the San Diego Clippers look would be a great base to re-rebrand from.

Unpopular opinion: I'd like the Clippers to stay the same. I like the way they use R/W/B. I like the scripts on the jerseys and I've feared a rebrand for a while now.

I agree that their logo is terrible and I would like them to get an actual decent logo but I hope their colors / unis stay the same.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

That's a very Jersey-generous description. The Intrepid is docked at Manhattan's Pier 86. In New York City.

You might as well say Martha's Vineyard is a small island between Massachusetts and England. :P

I didn't mean to overstate things... it's docked in New York City on the Hudson, which is a river (not a 3,000 mile wide ocean) between NYC and NJ. 5 miles from where the Jets play. I meant that it's on a part of the Hudson that's between NY and NJ, not that it's floating in the middle of the river like some kind of DMZ.

Ugh. No, thanks. That's my least favorite of all their Tiger logos, even worse than the rough trace of their chenille patch that keeps getting passed around as if it was a real logo.

It's better than looking like the Pinstripe-less counterfeit version of the Yankees, IMO. They should use a little more orange.

Ugh. No, thanks. That's my least favorite of all their Tiger logos, even worse than the rough trace of their chenille patch that keeps getting passed around as if it was a real logo.

It's better than looking like the Pinstripe-less counterfeit version of the Yankees, IMO. They should use a little more orange.

Counterfeit of the yankees?

1905 http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/uniforms.asp?league=AL&city=Detroit&lowYear=&highYear=&sort=year&increment=9 is when the Tigers started wearing the D on their jerseys at home

Yankees not until 1909 did they use the interlocking NY http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/uniforms.asp?league=AL&city=New+York&lowYear=&highYear=&sort=year&increment=9, and not until 1912 on the chest http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/uniforms.asp?city=New%20York&league=AL&sort=year&increment=9&pos=10

Otherwise known as, the TIgers have had their jerseys before the yankees, so if anything the yankees copies

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Ehh....

***SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT***d33da0564b4bc6d6408dfdf94fb53e17.png

My favorite would still be the NY in oval but a close second would be this version of the helmet. Sleek, has some previous history, and gives the feel of a Jet without being too literal.

I hate the Jets, but I have to admit that I really dig that design. It's a nice blend of traditional and modern elements.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

STOP WITH THE MCDONALD'S

I like the Redskins in burgundy/yellow/burgundy at home and the SB-era white/burgundy/white on the road. The striping has to get unified, though.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

There's quite a few teams I'd like to see a complete rebrand but there's two that just need to make their brand consistent and that's the Cavs, Suns and Hawks in the NBA. I feel like both teams need to get everything on the same page as they're really inconsistant.

san-diego-clippers-acx09531_2.jpg

Unpopular opinion: I'd like the Clippers to stay the same. I like the way they use R/W/B. I like the scripts on the jerseys and I've feared a rebrand for a while now.

I agree that their logo is terrible and I would like them to get an actual decent logo but I hope their colors / unis stay the same.

I honestly think a rebrand is coming. Ever since Ballmer took over, you never see the primary logo for the most part anymore. All the promotional material even down to the broadcast graphics emphasizes the "Clippers" baseball-script wordmark now.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Redskins should just go back to their glory days with these (not that 2004 was a good year but the uniform was from the good era). Never liked the mismatching helmet stripe but overall these are much better than what they have now.

2004_Washington.png

They definitely need to bring back the burgundy pants. I love the B&G look, so I think they just need to drop the white pants and wear white over burgundy and burgundy over gold.

The white on white look is the worst.

87Redskins.png

I don't understand why so many people feel like the Bengals need a rebrand? They have one of the best uniform sets in the NFL IMO. Only thing I may change would be the number font.

Baltimore Ravens need to change their brand, right now would be the perfect time. I've never liked the Ravens head with the B inside of it, especially flipped on the opposite side of the helmet with the B backwards. It's a joke. I'd rather have the shield

Denver Broncos need to go back to a more traditional jersey style, I've always hated the side stripe design. It's ok for a college team, but we're talking about the NFL here...

Jacksonville Jaguars need a solid colored helmet - black or gold, doesn't matter. one or the other.

Philadelphia Eagles will eventually replace their black uniforms with green so no need in hoping for it, it's just a matter of time.

Easily the worst of all the teams: Tennessee Titans.

Nothing from this design works for me. The helmet logo looks like an NFL Europe design. I've never liked the powder blue, navy blue and red combo. It's not necessarily the color combination, but the poor execution of the jersey design. Maybe a more traditional design would have worked better? This product of 2000's style needs to be re-thought.

In all honesty, I wish they were still the Oilers.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

Archived