2015 World Junior Championships

sportstar1212

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canada will face Denmark in the quarters and the winner of Slovakia - Czech Republic in the Semi's should they make it.

Not like they're sure wins, but it's great that we missed out on the side of the bracket that has USA, Russia, Finland, AND Sweden. It'd be considered an upset if we don't medal this year IMO.

Toronto here... ticket prices are far too steep for these pool games.

Not sure they'll come back here, even as Gary wants Toronto to be the centre of the World Cup tourny... which will probably bring out the quiet-while-we-eat-in-our-private-boxes-instead-of-watching-hockey fans.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't the World Juniors just kind of a pleasant little get-together until TSN held the rights in their first absence of NHL rights (late '90s) and drummed it up into this big maple-soaked battle for the soul of hockey? Maybe it's not meant to be on a big stage like Toronto/Montreal with Toronto/Montreal pricing. I mean, this so-called huge event was just in Saskatoon a few years ago -- Saskatoon, the lesser Edmonton. Maybe we should all just pump the brakes on this thing a little.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I mean I wouldn't know because the late 90s was when I really first started paying attention to SPORTS! but that sounds about right.

I wouldn't mind scaling back a bit, really. It's kind of the Canadian equivalent of high school football in Texas. [/hypocrisy]

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't the World Juniors just kind of a pleasant little get-together until TSN held the rights in their first absence of NHL rights (late '90s) and drummed it up into this big maple-soaked battle for the soul of hockey? Maybe it's not meant to be on a big stage like Toronto/Montreal with Toronto/Montreal pricing. I mean, this so-called huge event was just in Saskatoon a few years ago -- Saskatoon, the lesser Edmonton. Maybe we should all just pump the brakes on this thing a little.

They probably would only this thing is now TSN's prime hockey event.

I could see them dial it back to smaller locales, tv doesn't really need 18,000 in the stands to be good product. There are enough quality CHL rinks to be used.

Reminds me of the Tim Horton's Briar taking over NHL arenas for a week now too.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

I know there's only a few places that care about it: Sweden, Canada, a few places in the US. Maybe Russia? Buffalo was actually one of the bigger cities that has hosted recently. I think it was in Duluth not that long ago?

I know there's only a few places that care about it: Sweden, Canada, a few places in the US. Maybe Russia? Buffalo was actually one of the bigger cities that has hosted recently. I think it was in Duluth not that long ago?

Finland's Prime Minister greeted and congratulated the team after they won last year, they pay attention to it as well.

It was in North Dakota and Thief River Falls (population >9,000, yikes) a few years back as well.

I mean I wouldn't know because the late 90s was when I really first started paying attention to SPORTS! but that sounds about right.

I wouldn't mind scaling back a bit, really. It's kind of the Canadian equivalent of high school football in Texas. [/hypocrisy]

Well, what's wrong with that, really? Football is like a second (dominant) religion in Texas, and hockey is like a second (dominant) religion here. (Didn't mean to imply that either place had only one...sorry)

I think it's great that these guys are getting the same media hype that, say, the US gives to college football. It's for the love of the game at this point, and hasn't (for the most part) been corrupted by money.

Well, what's wrong with that, really? Football is like a second (dominant) religion in Texas, and hockey is like a second (dominant) religion here. (Didn't mean to imply that either place had only one...sorry)
Obsessing over teenagers like that gets creepy when you take a step back.

I think it's great that these guys are getting the same media hype that, say, the US gives to college football. It's for the love of the game at this point, and hasn't (for the most part) been corrupted by money.

If you think the World Juniors in Canada or NCAA football in the US haven't been corrupted by money then I don't know what to tell you.

I'm happy that Canada can essentially breeze to the gold medal game for the first time in three years, but then I think back to 2010 when we lost to the U.S. in the final. We had another free ride there, so we were never really tested, and lost to a team that had to claw its way through a much tougher bracket. I'm worried that could happen again this year.

As an aside, how about Willy Nylander? He's looked great from what I've seen.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

In Dominion of Canada, you shoot puck. In Soviet Glorious Motherland of Russia, puck shoot you. We'll see which strategy proves victorious tomorrow night.

Archived