Concept series: League du Nord

-kj

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't really take credit for the striping pattern for Nordeast; it's an Umbro template.

Speaking of diagonal stripes, though, this one's the wildest in the league.

-----

Rochester City FC

Rochester, Minnesota

Rochester-City.png

Rochester City is represented by a giant Canada goose silhouetted on a blue and white striped crest. The nearby waters attract a large amount of migrating geese.

Rochester-City-kits.png

The kits for RCFC are made by Warrior. Based on a template used for FC Porto, both shirts employ a diagonally-striped pattern: the primary in blue and white, the change in black and gray. Both also have a sublimated pattern of geese intertwined with the stripes. The home shorts and socks are white with matching blue stripes; the change shorts and socks are black with similar gray stripes.

City is sponsored by Think Mutual Bank, a regional bank based in Rochester; it was formerly the IBM employees' credit union. (Mayo or IBM would have been big, obvious choices, but I figured I'd use my bank. :D)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Yet another solid offering. I like the consistency you've established with the diagonal stripes (that's one way to fortify an identity). For it being simple blue and white, this is still a distinctive use. Same with the change kits.

From a technical standpoint on thag badge...I'm sure you probably considered this, but I'm not really keen on the "Rochester City" breaking the plane of that inner shield. May look tighter and more integrated if you aligned the title with that shape (may require some playing around with the text--nice choice on the Museo, by the way--but the text is pretty much secondary to the rest of the crest anyway. One other thing I noticed--and its something I've picked up on the more I've studied soccer unifom design over the course of this past year: usually, if something in a crest faces some direction, its usually to the viewer's left/wearer's right, "back toward the heart". (The world of heraldry actually establishes this in its visual hierarchy; they call it "dexter", or "to the left".) Just a little nugget to chew on...food for thought. I will say having that bird break the plane, no matter which way it's facing, is a touch of genius...adds some dynamism to it.

I think by now you see I'm watching this very closely (while I have the free time to do it). Keep up the good work, Kev.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Three left, which I'm planning to post today. Coincidentally (thanks, alphabet), these are the three Adidas clubs.

Speaking of "left", this one might be a bit out of that field.

Roseau County FC

Roseau County, Minnesota

Roseau-County.png

Roseau County is located in far northern Minnesota, on the Canadian border. The two "major" cities are Roseau and Warroad. Both communities are home to notable--and rival--high school hockey programs, leading me to believe that if soccer had developed back then like hockey, even a small place like Roseau and/or Warroad would have been able to field a successful team.

In my version of this history, each community had a club trying to start, but couldn't get critical mass; they then, grudgingly, decided to join forces. However, each group refused to wear the other's colors (the same as hockey: Roseau in green, Warroad in black and gold). A compromise was struck: pink and purple. Sure, they aren't "manly" colors, but they stay far away from the forbidden colors; they also tie into the "rose" in Roseau County. (The supporters from Warroad are still a little bitter about having Roseau in the name, but the club is always referred to as "Roseau County" or "County", and never just "Roseau".)

The badge is a purple roundel with a two-tone-pink representation of a rose with an "R" in the middle.

Roseau-County-kits.png

County's kits are made by Adidas. The primary is in bright pink with purple stripes, similar to Scotland's recent away kit. The away is white with pink trim, including a pattern on the front taken from pieces of the rose logo.

Roseau County is sponsored by Polaris Industries, makers of snowmobiles and motorcycles. They were founded in Roseau and maintain a plant there.

POTD 2013-08-22

Three left, which I'm planning to post today. Coincidentally (thanks, alphabet), these are the three Adidas clubs.

Speaking of "left", this one might be a bit out of that field.

Roseau County FC

Roseau County, Minnesota

Roseau-County.png

Roseau County is located in far northern Minnesota, on the Canadian border. The two "major" cities are Roseau and Warroad. Both communities are home to notable--and rival--high school hockey programs, leading me to believe that if soccer had developed back then like hockey, even a small place like Roseau and/or Warroad would have been able to field a successful team.

In my version of this history, each community had a club trying to start, but couldn't get critical mass; they then, grudgingly, decided to join forces. However, each group refused to wear the other's colors (the same as hockey: Roseau in green, Warroad in black and gold). A compromise was struck: pink and purple. Sure, they aren't "manly" colors, but they stay far away from the forbidden colors; they also tie into the "rose" in Roseau County. (The supporters from Warroad are still a little bitter about having Roseau in the name, but the club is always referred to as "Roseau County" or "County", and never just "Roseau".)

The badge is a purple roundel with a two-tone-pink representation of a rose with an "R" in the middle.

Roseau-County-kits.png

County's kits are made by Adidas. The primary is in bright pink with purple stripes, similar to Scotland's recent away kit. The away is white with pink trim, including a pattern on the front taken from pieces of the rose logo.

Roseau County is sponsored by Polaris Industries, makers of snowmobiles and motorcycles. They were founded in Roseau and maintain a plant there.

You could also have used Marvin Windows as a sponsor for this one, they're the major employer in Warroad and have a rose in their logo (albeit a yellow one).

Very nice work all around, Kev.

QPR%20Sig.png

Thanks, all. The penultimate club:

Rosemount FC

Rosemount, Minnesota

Rosemount.png

[Note: My roommate grew up in Rosemount... and he was pretty much no help on any of this. :D]

Rosemount is a southeast suburb of the Twin Cities, and is a city with strong Irish ties. The crest reflects this, with two shamrocks flanking a rose in a traditional shield. The colors are kelly green, gold, and navy.

Rosemount-kits.png

Rosemount is supplied by Adidas. The home kit includes a green shirt with gold trim, white shorts, and green socks. The all-navy away includes gold, white, and green stripes in a similar pattern to a shirt Adidas made for Bayern Munich.

The Leprechauns are sponsored by Delta Airlines, which has a large office in adjacent Eagan which was formerly the headquarters of Northwest Airlines. (I was unable to find anything really Rosemount-centric outside of the refinery run by a company I'd rather not name. My thought process was that Eagan would have plenty of sponsors from which to choose, so Delta would end up choosing another nearby club.)

POTD 2013-08-22

Rochester City: Realky like the crest and kits. The color scheme and diagonal stripe motif make for a really good identity. My only real issue is that the sublimated birds don't line up with the stripes.

Rouseau County: Maybe my favorite of the series. That color scheme is killer, and I love the subtle R in the rose. Both kits are really solid looks. I especially like the pattern on the clash.

Rosemount FC: Another excellent concept. I really like the composition of the crest, and that clash kit is straight sexy. Love the color blocking.

Rochester City: Realky like the crest and kits. The color scheme and diagonal stripe motif make for a really good identity. My only real issue is that the sublimated birds don't line up with the stripes.

Actually they do, in a way. I even measured! :D

-----

Alright, the last one; it was actually the last one I finished, after deciding to dump a few other cities:

Willmar FC

Willmar, Minnesota

Willmar.png

Willmar was founded as a division point on the Great Northern Railway, and the club's badge pays homage to that history with a locomotive silhouette. The badge shape alludes to the style of shield used on many railroad logos.

Willmar-kits.png

Willmar is outfitted by Adidas. The primary kits are all orange with white hoops on the front of the shirts. The away shirt is dark teal with black sleeves and hoops, complemented by black shorts and socks.

WFC is sponsored by Jennie-O Turkey Store, a subsidiary of Hormel located in Willmar.

POTD 2013-08-22

To wrap this up, here's a composite of the badges:

League-du-Nord-teams.png

Also, I had someone ask me about getting t-shirts, so I put a few of the teams out on RedBubble. I'll probably put up a few more.

POTD 2013-08-22

Willmar looks really sharp. I like the crest a lot--definitively gives off that railroad vibe. The kits are nice as well. The thinner hoops are a different look, but I like it.

And a great series overall, Mockba! It's cool to see all the crests together. The one thing I noticed is that the two crests with birds have a similar shape and layout. Not necessarily a bad thing--it could be a historical quirk!

These were all great. I'd definitely purchase a Roseau shirt if you put them up there

I've now put all of them out there except for Duluth. I'm debating on if I'll revisit that.

POTD 2013-08-22

I absolutely love the away kits for Roseau and Rosemount. Spectacular job on these.

Any chance of a St. Cloud team? We're right on the Mississippi so the crest could have a dam in it or something.

Also I would suggest compiling these somewhere so it is easier to look at all of the designs. Imgur album maybe?

Great series! Any chance we could see all the crests on a map of Minnesota?

Actually, yes. When coming up with the team locations, I wanted to visualize the geographic spread, so I created a Google Map of the teams, then added the crests as the markers when I finished each.

Any chance of a St. Cloud team? We're right on the Mississippi so the crest could have a dam in it or something.

To be honest, I spent hours trying to research something interesting visually about St. Cloud... and failed miserably. They were going to be called Granite City FC.

Also I would suggest compiling these somewhere so it is easier to look at all of the designs. Imgur album maybe?

How about a Behance project?

POTD 2013-08-22

Archived