Milwaukee Bucks Logo Re-Design

jaha32

After seeing that the Raptors are about to officially scrap their anthropomorphized raptor logo at the end of this season, as a Bucks fan, it got me thinking about the Bucks old logo with a sweater-wearing deer spinning the ball on his hoof. That logo inspired this idea to recreate a deer going in for a layup. I also made another less anthropomorphic version of a charging buck. In the layup logo, I wanted to show the athleticism and light-footedness of a deer. In the charging logo, I wanted to show the other side of a buck - that is its strength.

These don't really match the typical composition you see from an NBA logo now days, but I've grown to dislike the Bucks current flat, line-drawing of a logo that they've been using for 20 years, and wanted to go in a completely different direction.

Milwaukee-Bucks-Layup-Logo-chipped-wall_

Milwaukee-Bucks-Charging-Logo-chipped-wa

Beautiful! The charging buck would be the Bucks primary logo of my choice, while the other one with the ball could definitely be a secondary logo, but without MILWAUKEE BUCKS under it. Great work! I like it very much!

I wonder if you probably could upload larger images to get a better view on all the details. This design is way too good to "hide", Jaha!

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

These don't really match the typical composition you see from an NBA logo now days, but I've grown to dislike the Bucks current flat, line-drawing of a logo that they've been using for 20 years, and wanted to go in a completely different direction.

Milwaukee-Bucks-Layup-Logo-chipped-wall_

Milwaukee-Bucks-Charging-Logo-chipped-wa

Thankfully you did something completely different that not really can be compared with usual NBA team logo rebrands of the past years, but rather with NCAA. That was definitely the right decision!

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

love the illustrations, but that typography needs some work. looks WAY too bland right now with just stacked block-type. the type also doesnt interact well with the mark. just sits below it.

i too agree that the charging buck should be the primary and the buck-holding-a-ball should be an alt logo used by itself.

good start. i trust you'll bring this to perfection.

Love the top logo. The charging buck is just as good, but I love the "life" in the first more. The only critique I can give is to modify the script. It just seems so generic and I think a unique, created script would serve well. I could be way off here but I think a cursive script or a modified cursive script would work well with the logos.

Wow, great work jaha! I definitely prefer the top logo. I like the overall shape better and it has a lot more character. And the rendering of both logos is great--no criticisms there.

As the others have said, the type could use some work, though I'm sure you didn't intend for it to be seen as the finished product. I agree with an above poster that a slab serif of some sort would look nice. For the layup logo, you could use arched type above and below the logo, but rotated at a 30-45 degree angle. So "Milwaukee" would be arching above the tail, and "Bucks" would be below the front foot.

Thanks for all the good feedback, everyone! The consensus seems to be in favor of a different font. I actually spent a decent amount of time trying to figure out how to best make the text interact with the buck but little seemed to work, so I settled on having an NCAA type arrangement, like Go Red Sox mentioned, where the text and logo are separate.

@Go Red Sox and CS85, I may put up a larger less grainy image. Not sure yet. You could say I've become somewhat paranoid and I've been trying to keep images small and somewhat grainy so I don't have to deal with seeing my stuff auto traced and sold on shutterstock or being used elsewhere anymore, although nothing is fully fool-proof.

@Conrad, the font is a thinned and slightly tweaked Boulder Bold from your amazingly resourceful font database. A huge thanks for that! Despite its simplicity, its one of my favorite fonts, but I'm going to play around with the idea of changing the lettering here.

@dgthree, since this was inspired by the Bucks 70s look when they did wear script jerseys for a few years, a script could work, but I feel script lettering would compete with the buck a little too much.

@illwauke and Shadojoker, I thought someone would ask for lime, but I'm not making any promises. Hell, I even considered a yellow deer for a second. I decided to stick with red and green.

@SFGiants58 and mcbannon, I'm going to consider adding a slab serif of some kind since neo-vintage is exactly what I was going for here. Part of the reason I went with a basic font was that I didn't want any overl-flashy font to ruin the retro inspiration here. As far as arching the font, I've never been a fan of off-centered/rotated arched text.

Updates to come!

Count me in the camp (if there is one) that prefers the ballin' buck. I mean they're both great (and as you said, Greg, definitely different from current NBA logo compositions), but I prefer option A just based in its nostalgic tie to the beloved Bango (both logos feature a deer with a basketball).

I wonder if you might somehow explore styling a new Bucks wordmark based on the old pre-90s one, with a "Milwaukee" script similar to the one on the throwback jerseys. And, I must ask this: are you wanting to emphasize "Milwaukee" over "Bucks" here, and if so why so? (Not necessarily a criticism; just trying to gain some insight into your creative mind here.)

I do see a way in which you might be able to formulate a "crest" logo out of the ballin' buck...I'm seeing enough of the logo from the neck forward, hoof, ball and all, to insert into something or a rectotriangular shape (that ain't a word, but follow me here) similar to what the Bucks currently use which itself, intentional or not, evokes the same shape of that of the Wisconsin State Route signage. You could even have the hoof and ball breaking the shape to add some more dynamism to it.

Just throwing that out there...I'm curious to see where this goes.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Love the first logo - something I've thought of doing before but could never execute it in the way you did. I will offer some humble comments on it, however.

-I think it needs to be more vertically based. Right now it is reaching forward rather than toward the basket. Even if you aren't doing a "dunking buck" logo, it would still be jumping higher to do a layup.

-I would also have the ball more outstretched. It might be less anatomically correct, but I think it would better convey the image of going up for a layup. Also, it helps distance the ball from the face. I find that results in the logo looking cluttered in the facial region.

Having said that, this is an amazing concept that would give the Bucks the best logo in the association.

Archived