Mets vs Yankees: Subway Series special uniforms

Discrim

About a month ago or so, I'd posted a Cubs/White Sox rivalry set that was pretty well received, and I'd said I had a few other city and state rivalries in mind. I was initially considering going the flag route again, though decided against it, as things would've looked FAR more awkward than when I went that route with the Chicago clubs: the Mets already wear the colors of the NYC flag, and if I'd based anything on the Queens flag, then you're talking about replacing orange with yellow and red. And on the Yanks' side...the Bronx flag is blue and orange.

Yeah...eh...um, no. Just no.

So I took a couple approaches here...for the Mets, both uniforms are hybrid fauxbacks that prominently take inspiration from 1916, among other years. The home whites have a checkered pattern, a la the 1916 Dodgers, with the large N Y on the chest emblematic of the 1900s Giants, along with a contrasting placket with METS written on it diagonally, which was briefly worn by the Dodgers a few years before the checkered unis. Though I figure blue numbers would've shown up fine, I felt orange numbers would show up better.

For the grays, I used the other bizarre NYC uniform choice of '16, the Giants' violet plaid, right down to a temporary color change to violet/black. Don't worry, it'd only be for two days :D The chief difference from '16 is a semi-intentional anachronism, the mid-80s New York script (I thought about using the 93-94 script, but I figure Mets fans would rather not ever see that one again) that serves as the Dodger nod. I might post an orange/blue version of the road later, but then I've kept the plaid violet before (on a version I'd posted years ago, modernized for the San Francisco era) and I very well might again.

subwayseriesmets.png

For the Yanks, like I said that one time I posted an alt-historical road alt for em, I think they could do vests justice, so both uniforms are sleeveless. The home uniform largely maintains the familiar look, but with a touch of championship gold. The cap NY is gold, the pinstripes are gold, and the jersey NY and numbers have a gold outline. The road grays are an obvious departure from the normal fare: a lot of folks hate pinstriped grays, but I figured it made at least a bit of sense...and a confession, originally I had a block YANKEES across the chest, as a nod to Murder's Row (the Yanks' grays read YANKEES for a few years in the late 20s before reverting to NEW YORK). The hat & bat script I went with...I know I ripped off the Braves in that regard, but damn if it don't look good.

subwayseriesyankees.png

I know one thing, every now and then I give a brief thought to resurrecting something I did when I first stumbled upon the logo community: Turn Ahead the Clock...and then I realize I'll likely never need to truly revisit that era. Kinda like how even though almost nobody runs the pure Run & Shoot anymore, its concepts are everywhere. Just thinking in print, a little bit.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I applaud the creativity but if I saw these on the field, I would wish I could wake up screaming and wish it was just a dream. I would tweak their current looks and maybe do a sleeve patch for the game like how nike did with the CFB playoff.

jaker52sig.png

signatureofteams.jpg

MUNCHEN LOWEN (WAFA) GULF SHORES OSPREYS (IBL)

I applaud the creativity but if I saw these on the field, I would wish I could wake up screaming and wish it was just a dream. I would tweak their current looks and maybe do a sleeve patch for the game like how nike did with the CFB playoff.

Figured there'd be at least a few responses basically saying this...don't worry about it, I get that a lot. For the most part, I have half-decent hunches on how most folks will respond to certain concepts...and then again, the board's thrown me curveballs. I don't figure there are too many of you that can say there was somebody expecting your concept's road grays to be lavender instead of gray.

Do you think you could do something for the minnesota-wisconsin football game? Btw, love your concepts

Edit: maybe Montana-Montana State if you have enough time :)

YES. Montana-Montana State

Not taking requests, and I make no promises. I have made concepts of the ilk you're thinking of before (Army vs ND, Tenn vs Vandy) though. Might do Minny-Nebraska, as I want the $5 Broken Chair to remain a real thing. Mascot & coach impersonator Twitter wager >>>>>>>>>>Freedom trophy's corporate spiel

2016cubscreamsig.png

Discrimihater, I absolutely loved your Cubs/Sox Crosstown designs. They were easily some of the best concepts I've come across on this forum. And while this set isn't as strong, I honestly enjoy each design except for the Mets road. I don't mind the use of pink and black, but the plaid pants are just brutal. Maybe try playing with the colors on the cap...black with pink stripes and a gray "NY"?

If I recall you mentioned something about doing a Dodgers/Giants rivalry set. I'd love to see you get to that someday.

what's the extra color on the Yankees home? It looks orange, which would be odd vs. the Mets.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Yanks whites' second color is old gold...I intended for it to be an expression of their legacy. The Mets grays, meanwhile, the plaid is violet...which is supposed to look somewhat more purplish, but then I took the color from what you see on the Giants' 1916 set at Dressed to the Nines...thus a more pinkish hue than I would've liked.

2016cubscreamsig.png

• 6 months later...

Archived