World Ice Hockey Federation - Slovan Bratislava

raysox

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The World Juniors are one of the most prestigious tournament in international hockey. This remained to be held every year during the rough IIHF times in the early 2020s. The IIHF dropped the tournament for a short 2 year period in 2024 and 2025. Then when the Canadian teams split from the NHL, the commissioner of that league resurrected the tournament. Canada would host the tournament, starting 2 weeks before New Year’s. The Molson’s Youth Hockey Cup became the only yearly event of international hockey. When the WIHF was first announced, former hockey goalie Dylan Alexander expressed his interest in bringing back the tournament to its former glory. The Canadian league sold the rights to the WIHF. The World Juniors would take place in the international break before New Year’s, allowing players to leave their teams and return without games being missed. The first order of business was to figure out the host of the tournament.

Montreal/Quebec City put in a joint bid, but Alexander didn’t want a 5th straight Canadian tournament. His home town Chicago was ruled out, due to Chicago winning the rights to host the Super 10. Their focus moved to Europe. The goal was to find 2 big arenas, close by, to host the tournament. Traditional powers like Stockholm and Moscow wanted the bid, but ultimately, Alexander decided on a new local.

With the success of Zagreb in the KHL, and Olimpija Ljubljana in the Austrian league, their national programs were improving. Anze Kopitar was a firm believer that the two Balkan nations could host the tournament. After a trip there, WIHF officials awarded the World Juniors to Croatia and Slovenia. Qualifying began, and weirdly enough, the 16 teams that qualified, qualified for the Olympics (which is when you’ll see what the teams wore).

WorldJuniors.png

The teams hit the halfway point. The best teams were gearing up for a playoff run. The best start of any league was the Canucks, who didn’t lose their first 20 games, and recorded 15 wins in that span. The Winnipeg Jets finally knocked off the best team, and led to a downward slump. The NHL was hotly contested between the 4 divisions. The Lightning and Penguins led the east, and the Blackhawks and Ducks led the west. The European leagues were shaping up as usual, one or two teams distanced themselves from the field.

The 2 week international break was nice for the players that weren’t on National Teams. But for the stars, they had to play as hard as ever. The top 16 teams qualified for the Olympic Games, and this break was the last chance to make a case. The biggest result of the break was the upstart Latvian team beating the Russians in St. Petersburg. The countries jockeyed for rankings going into the Olympics, and when it was all done, the traditional hockey powers won. Aided by bad losses to Germany and Denmark, Austria fell out of the top 16. South Korea had been building up playing Asian teams, and traveled west to beat the Brits and Croatians. With momentum from the 2018 Winter Games, South Korea was emerging as a future hockey competitor.

-----------------------

I wanted to represent both countries as best as I could. They’re both mountainous, so the tops and bottoms of the logo reflect that. The green slice is Slovenia, with the star pattern from their crest. The red bit is Croatia, with a checkered pattern for theirs. This is the first logo I’ve posted using the template-y bottom part. My goal is to have an abstract and meaningful top, with a similar thing to show that it’s a part of WIHF.

Shouldn't it be spelled "Balkans" in the logo? Also, wouldn't the top teams from now be different in 15 years from now?

well, it would probably depend on how the youth teams are doing right now. most of the youth players right now would be playing 15-20 years from now, so the good teams now would be the good teams in the future most likely

7wldHiW.png

Chelsea.png

Shouldn't it be spelled "Balkans" in the logo? Also, wouldn't the top teams from now be different in 15 years from now?

Mispelled, and fixed. And I mean, some teams are bound to be good in 15 years that are good now.

The thing is that really any team can be the top team by that time. Teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh I don't think will have that great of teams then. They are gonna be a top team for as long as the have their top players (Toews, Crosby, Malkin, Keith, etc) so they're not going to get those needed draft picks to strengthen their prospect core. I think teams in the mid to low rankings are gonna be some of the top teams. It's fine to expect one or two of the top teams now to be a top team in the future, but you could have been a bit LESS thought-processed. That sounds really dumb, but even just randomizing the teams would have been better since it's so far into the future that it would be impossible to tell who would be the top teams. tbh it really just doesn't matter, i just thought i'd bring it up.

well, it would probably depend on how the youth teams are doing right now. most of the youth players right now would be playing 15-20 years from now, so the good teams now would be the good teams in the future most likely

You just completely contradicted yourself. The worst teams right now have the best youth players that will be playing in 15-20 years so wouldn't that make them the better teams. This is why I said the mid-ranked teams would be best suited.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

Mispelled, and fixed. And I mean, some teams are bound to be good in 15 years that are good now.

The thing is that really any team can be the top team by that time. Teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh I don't think will have that great of teams then. They are gonna be a top team for as long as the have their top players (Toews, Crosby, Malkin, Keith, etc) so they're not going to get those needed draft picks to strengthen their prospect core. I think teams in the mid to low rankings are gonna be some of the top teams. It's fine to expect one or two of the top teams now to be a top team in the future, but you could have been a bit LESS thought-processed. That sounds really dumb, but even just randomizing the teams would have been better since it's so far into the future that it would be impossible to tell who would be the top teams. tbh it really just doesn't matter, i just thought i'd bring it up.

But you're still attacking me for stuff like this. I haven't even posted an actual concept, and you're bitter about the teams I glanced over and said were good. None of those teams get the NHL bid at the Super 10. We picked the teams we want to do. Dylan is a Hawks fan, I'm a Lightning fan. Then I named 2 other teams in the east and west. Everyone is reading into everything too much. The stories are nothing more than me providing a back story and building up to the big reveal about what teams got in. I wrote 72 stories in a soccer series that won "best concept series", and everyone just enjoyed it because I was posting my vision. Let me do my thing. It's a concept, but everyone's being so critical at what I said about stuff that doesn't effect the actual concepts we made.

Log off. Stop posting. Go to HFBoards. Post there instead.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Outdoor Games

Outdoors.png

The game of hockey was first played on frozen ponds. 150 years after that tradition began, the best leagues in the world continue to host a yearly outdoor game. The Outdoor games were often the first games back from international break, and started the New Year off right.

The NHL’s Winter Classic is probably the most anticipated regular season game year after year. The tradition continued through the turmoil of the league in the early 2020s. The Stadium Series games were cancelled due to poor attendance. But the Winter Classic constantly drew big attendances. The game rotated between the cities of the northern US. Hosted by traditional hockey powers in Boston, New York, Pennsylvania, and Chicago. Every once in a while, an outlier would host it. A 12 round shoot out thriller in St. Louis’ Busch Stadium between Detroit and the Blues remains one of the best Winter Classics ever. At the 2029 edition of the game, the Blue Jackets hosted the Predators at Ohio Stadium, marking the 2nd highest attended game in the history of the event. During the 2nd intermission, the league announced that 2030 would take place at Target Field in Minnesota, between the Wild and Stars.

The Heritage Classic has a more turbulent history. It only took place every couple years, due to how cold it was in Canada, and how favored the US teams were. Only 2 Canadian teams ever played in the Winter Classic. The Leafs in 2014, and the Habs against Boston in 2016. When the Canadian Dominion Cup was formed, they brought with them the rights to host the outdoor event. The CFL stadiums in major Canadian cities hosted the game the first 4 years under CDC reign. The 2030 edition was announced, and given to the city of Halifax for the first time. The Voyageurs would play the St. John’s Ice Caps in Maritime edition of the Heritage Classic. The new Canadian Football stadium in the city would host the 35,000 fans wanting to see hockey outdoors.

The Talviklassikko literally means “Winter Classic” in Finnish. This event was held for a few seasons between Helsinki rivals Jokerit and HIFK. But then Jokerit followed the money to the KHL, and the game was put on hiatus. When the WIHF realigned the leagues, the Liiga schedule makers made sure the first meeting between the clubs were on New Year’s in front of as many people as possible.

Winter Classic

I took some inspiration with the Winter Classic logo. I used the previous MLB All-Star game, and other Winter Classics as inspiration. The trees make a pattern where the negative space makes the same shape as the tree. I put some snowflakes, and a frozen pond on it because the State of Hockey is the land of 10,000 lakes. Striped sleeves are such an underrated hockey design. I love throwback uniforms like that. I wanted to do a faux back for the Wild because the color scheme is so unique. I went red tops with heavy green accents. The Wild’s script is based after all those hockey teams in the states with a cursive font. The Stars look is an off white, with a lot of black. Off white is very underrated, and when used right it’s absolutely great. I threw in the kelly green to add some color to the look. I wanted a classic look that could be an everyday uniform.

WinterClassic.png

Love these 2 Winter Classic Jerseys, I'm a fan of the Metropolitan like striping on the Sota jerseys. I just think Dallas' hem is very plain. So do the Canadian AHL teams now play in the Dominion Cup, or do they play in the CHL?

That's what- She

Love these 2 Winter Classic Jerseys, I'm a fan of the Metropolitan like striping on the Sota jerseys. I just think Dallas' hem is very plain. So do the Canadian AHL teams now play in the Dominion Cup, or do they play in the CHL?

One of my favorite edge uniforms was the Leafs because it didn't have a hem stripe, it felt longer and sleeker. I can't explain it, but my concepts without one is because I liked that edge jersey. The stripe goes around the jersey at the same level, and a hem wouldn't really make sense unless it was a thick black one, I guess.

But in my head: Ice Caps, Marlies, Bulldogs franchises move up. OHL, QMJHL, and WHL drop the American teams, and the winner of the Memorial Cup plays in the Super 10.

One of my favorite edge uniforms was the Leafs because it didn't have a hem stripe, it felt longer and sleeker. I can't explain it, but my concepts without one is because I liked that edge jersey. The stripe goes around the jersey at the same level, and a hem wouldn't really make sense unless it was a thick black one, I guess.

But in my head: Ice Caps, Marlies, Bulldogs franchises move up. OHL, QMJHL, and WHL drop the American teams, and the winner of the Memorial Cup plays in the Super 10.

That makes complete sense, and I forgot about the hemless Leafs. Not to draw the realignment question any further, but will some of the American CHL teams make the jump up?

That's what- She

I want to clear things up. I never intended to "attack" you in any way. I was just astounded by the amount of detail in the back stories that I wanted to know the reasoning behind the top teams. I never intended for you to change them, I just wanted to know the reasoning behind them. You also had the chance to say that you chose those teams because they were your favorites in the first reply, but you came up with a very blunt answer. I then explained what I thought of the matter and now I'm getting all this backlash. I never meant to attack or offend anyone. I also want you to know that I don't hate this series, in fact, it's one of my favorites. I am very excited to see what you guys can pull off. I'm sorry for this ever occurring.

I really love the Winter Classic and Heritage Classic logos, especially since it's kept very neat.

The Talviklassikko logo I think is just a bit too simple. There's just something missing. Maybe a different font? Idk, but what I do know is that I would love to see "Talviklassikko" in the Winter Classic font format.

The Winter Classic jerseys are fine. They're great for the occasion, keeping it classic, but I'm really not feeling the Wild's logo. I agree completely with Jake.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

RaySox, those Winter Classic jerseys are a thing of beauty. Love the Wild's striped sleeves and socks and the Stars off-white color is a perfect fit for the team. Excellent job on this, as I think the Winter Classic is an excellent initiative by the NHL, something to bring those old moemories back to all of us who played hockey in the winter on frozen ponds and homemade ice rinks.

Archived