Thrift Store Gems 2015

johnnysama

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a pretty good day at my local Value Village!

I got this mid-90s Rangers Starter jersey in excellent condition for $10

Rangers_zpsalxjsapn.jpg

And I picked up this Diamondbacks alternate jersey also for $10!

Dbacks_zps6pbvijf6.jpg

Both were in my size and both were in awesome shape. It's not very often that I find stuff worth buying there.

Another strange thing that I found was an Algerian national soccer jersey with this on the back:

Weiberov_zpszoeqkcah.jpg

My first thought was that this was a pretty cool and unique jersey but that the name definitely didn't sound Algerian to me. Sure enough, a google search told me that nobody by the name of "Weiberov" has ever played on Team Algeria. Not only that, when I search for the name "Weiberov" it only generates 62 results on google... compared to 7 million when I search my last name. Nobody on the Canada411 website has this last name, and there are no results on facebook when searching for this name. I have no idea why it's on the back of an Algerian jersey or how it ended up in a thrift store in northern BC. My theory is that somebody ordered this jersey with a customized name/number and somehow there was a typo that wound up on it and since customized merchandise cannot usually be returned that the person just decided to donate it. I may sound silly but I'm strangely intrigued by this mysterious name for some reason.

Great snag on that Rangers jersey man! I'm always looking for those old Starter jerseys on eBay.

Had a pretty good day at my local Value Village!

I got this mid-90s Rangers Starter jersey in excellent condition for $10

Rangers_zpsalxjsapn.jpg

Do the Starter jerseys have reinforced elbows and stitched logos or is the stitching just there for aesthetics? I don't have a Starter jersey yet

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

^ Yes, the graphics are stitched on and they have reinforced elbows. I can attest to this because I own quite a few of those jerseys myself.

I actually thought that only Pro Player jerseys did that, so now I have to keep an eye out for Starter replicas.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

No embedded pics, as I'm in phone, but yesterday I picked up this helmet from a HUGE, disheveled, messy and nasty liquidation sale. Because I'm not a fan of USC, I've put it up on the bay... At first, I presumed it was for the baseball team, but now I'm wondering if it was used by the women's softball team. Oh yeah, I only paid $4 for it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SC-Trojans-Used-Worn-Batting-Helmet-/331487011355?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d2e2a621b

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

Yesterday I found treasure at Goodwill. They had an authentic Colorado Rockies purple alternate jersey in my size. It was only $3! No player on the back. The wordmark is a bit wavy, but I'll try to iron it down with wax paper to flatten it.

The jersey has the MLB logo on the back, but it's a Russell Athletic and not Majestic. I assume it's from 2000.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Yesterday I found treasure at Goodwill. They had an authentic Colorado Rockies purple alternate jersey in my size. It was only $3! No player on the back. The wordmark is a bit wavy, but I'll try to iron it down with wax paper to flatten it.

The jersey has the MLB logo on the back, but it's a Russell Athletic and not Majestic. I assume it's from 2000.

Any pics?

I always browse these threads and wonder how I never get lucky. There is nothing at my local Goodwill, and there never is.

Same here... When I do find a Jersey, they try to sell it used for $60...

SIG.png

Now, THIS is just... something else.

UJSR5my.jpg

"Wreckin' Crew"

I have seen before on eBay NFL merch from early-mid 90's that used Looney Tunes characters so that this exists isn't surprising, but finding it sure was. The combination of it's awesome dorkiness and lawsuit logo made this an insta-buy, though I'm debating whether to keep it in my collection or sell since I'm not huge on space currently.

Archived