sparky chewbarky

The Game Outside

Several weeks ago, a "polar vortex" drifted down from the north and froze our nuts off for a week or so.

The upside to the freeze was that we scored a couple of days of outside shinny on the pond behind us, before warmer temps returned to melt our rink.

Man, there's nothing like strappin' on the blades and playing some pond-hockey.

Now the NHL has scored big on its outdoor "Winter Classic". It's HUGELY popular. It's become a New Year's Day event and destination.

The players appear to enjoy it also.

Is it appealing to puck-heads because it's become a "ritual" of sorts to celebrate hockey's roots?

Anyway, the few days of shinny urged me to finish an old project.

This isn't a concept, per se...it's actually something I put together for my kids.

I fleshed-out the idea using mostly images lifted off the net...but the words are all original and all mine.

I hope you enjoy it.

Have a great New Year's everyone, and enjoy the Winter Classic...

TOG04-5.jpg

tog06-7.jpg

tog08-9.jpg

tog10-11.jpg

TOG12-13.jpg

TOG14-15.jpg

tog16-17.jpg

TOG18-19.jpg

TOG20-21.jpg

TOG22-23.jpg

The End.

That is an awesome piece of work Sparky...great words putting everything together that is Canadiana.

All I remember as a kid was strapping on the skates at the local park in the winter evenings and playing shinny hockey on a ice rink that was created on tennis court, maintained by volunteer parents. They joy we had.

Thanks for this!

Post of the day. Somebody give this man The Belt.

Wow. Great work as always, Sparky.

How have you not had a book published yet

*jaw drops*

Wow Sparky, you should design like a hockey book for kids or something...

Post of the day. Somebody give this man The Belt.

I'm speechless.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys...much appreciated.

To proceed with this idea, I'd have to do it with the NHL, or have their permission to "publish" it, as it's a story about THEIR product, and would would feature THEIR photos.

Come to think of it, if I expanded the section on the actual "WC" game (to permit MORE game photos), "The Game Outside" would provide a good frame for a "coffee table" style book featuring images from past Winter Classic games.

I'll fire the idea off to the NHL.

All I remember as a kid was strapping on the skates at the local park in the winter evenings and playing shinny hockey on a ice rink that was created on tennis court, maintained by volunteer parents. They joy we had.

Thanks for this!

Thank you Gooner...and I have the same great outdoor hockey memories that you have.

We were about a 10 min. walk from an outdoor rink that usually managed to have ice for at least part of every winter.

As kids, on Saturdays we'd shinny 'til our feet were frozen, and then I'd usually fall asleep during "Hockey Night".

Good stuff.

You're quite the wordsmith, sparky. Always enjoy seeing your work!