New NBC Graphics

TrueYankee26

Hopefully constant camera movements don't make it into other sport presentations. The constant swooping in and out of the rink is making me nauseous; it's like they're broadcasting the game from a drone (though they probably are?). I don't think I can watch this.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3DkFj5u.jpg

The setup of the scorebox is nice except that the old one was much more balanced.

How? The team name abbreviations were exactly the same size and not where one team here (the Capitals) is thinner to fit inside the smaller space.

The period and game clock also isn't proportioned evenly. When the time is 10+ minutes or more, the numbers are thinner as well. Looks forced into its space.

My suggestions:

1) Return to the previous font sizes and shapes for all their elements, including team abbreviations, goal totals, period and game clock.

2) Re-size the team logos even if they are NOT to be shown in full without disrupting the other lettering/numbering elements. MSG Network does a good job in doing that with the logos in their score box.

Keep in mind that Comcast SportsNet regional games of the Flyers, Capitals, Sharks and Blackhawks all have had a slightly modified version of NBC Sports' previous score box, just anchored to the left side.

I like the new graphics, they'll just take some getting used to. Also I haven't watched hockey on nbc since the finals, have they been using these this year? Also I wonder if they'll be full time.

No, today is the first day that this newly modified graphics package has been used by the NBC Sports Group for NHL games.

And just think, tomorrow will be the 3-year anniversary of the NBC Sports Network launch which was kicked off by the 2012 Winter Classic in Philadelphia.

NBC's new scoring bug would have been passable by my books, for not for the fact that it's the 1st time the NHL on NBC (the national broadcast) hasn't formated their graphics in the center-top of the screen. Their first four graphics iterations (2006, 2007-2009, 2010-2011, 2012-2014) all had the bugs in the center of the screen at the top; this new iteration has it on the left side and it kind of irritates me. The 1st major production NBC had a left-top scoring bug for was for the English Premier League, and it seems that they're trying to apply this approach to its other national broadcasts.

The question is will NBC apply these new graphics for their NFL telecasts at the Wildcard and Divisional games, or wait until Super Bowl XLIX to debut these new graphics for football.

NBC's new scoring bug would have been passable by my books, for not for the fact that it's the 1st time the NHL on NBC (the national broadcast) hasn't formated their graphics in the center-top of the screen. Their first four graphics iterations (2006, 2007-2009, 2010-2011, 2012-2014) all had the bugs in the center of the screen at the top; this new iteration has it on the left side and it kind of irritates me. The 1st major production NBC had a left-top scoring bug for was for the English Premier League, and it seems that they're trying to apply this approach to its other national broadcasts.

The question is will NBC apply these new graphics for their NFL telecasts at the Wildcard and Divisional games, or wait until Super Bowl XLIX to debut these new graphics for football.

We'll find out Saturday but I think it will they changed their graphics for Super Bowl 43,46 & 49

With the last graphics package, they used it for the Wild Card Weekend after debuting it for the Winter Classic back in 2012. Think they'll go the same direction given that they used it for both the Winter Classic and EPL today, as well as updating the bottom line to reflect it

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

I don't feel the logos are necessary on the score bug. It kind of insults the viewer's intelligence. I guess they stretch out the sections of the score bug where they can drop down the power play clock to read "POWER PLAY 2:00" in full, but can't they cut the length down and just put "PP 2:00"? Again, we can figure it out. Also, that Capitals logo does not render well at such a small size, but that's more an indictment of that awful non-Weagle logo (which the Caps didn't even wear in the game, so what was the point of using it to help the viewer?).

The letters for the team abbreviations are too thin and don't appear to be the same typeface.

Needs work.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The new scorebug looks terrible for college hockey. So much wasted space, especially with the drop-down bar for power plays. I also took a shot of the regional Comcast SportsNet scorebugs as a comparison to the national NBC broadcasts. And from the few moments of the pre-game, it looks like NBC will be using the new graphics for their NFL Wild Card broadcast.

I echo Dolphins Dynasty's comment: The new graphics definitely remind me of Fox Sports.

RLVeS7J.jpgqYh7lLC.jpg

Archived