• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So McLaren announced today that they're changing the livery on the car, starting in Spain. Silver is out, replaced with a 'dynamic, predatory graphite-grey coloration' which will apparently look better under floodlights.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/32611280

1. Oh for the love of..., has Nike-speak invaded F1 now...

2. When was the last time a team, independent of any sponsor changes, totally switched up their livery mid-season?

3. It seems a little weird to 'optimise the look of the car' based on a situation which only occurs at a handful of races

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

McLaren update their livery, saying that their current looks to close to Mercedes

2v19pnk.jpg

orrms2.jpg

I like it, but I still wish they would've gone with White & Red.

New paintjob... same back of the pack car.

Results from the Grand Prix of Indianapolis

1. Power

2. Rahal

3. Montoya

4. Bourdais

5. Kimball

6. Castroneves

7. Kanaan

8. Coletti

9. Sato

10. Dixon

Well, the first lap brought some issues and the rest of the race was all Will but I got to give credit to Graham Rahal today, he gave Will a run for his money.

Formula E results from Monaco

1. Buemi

2. di Grassi

3. Piquet Jr.

4. Bird

5. D'Ambrosio

6. Prost

7. Sarrazin

8. Speed

9. Pic

10. Felix da Costa

IMO, I think Formula E has a very bright future. Every race keeps getting better. I especially loved the race between Piquet & Bird for 3rd & then Piquet was racing against di Grassi for 2nd!

Next up for IndyCar... the greatest spectacle in racing, the Indy 500 & for Formula E, Germany!

baltimoreravens.png

Scott Goodyear is boring.

Go to the race! Dave Calabro and Bob Jenkins are much better to listen to! And you don't have to watch wives in the pit lane on the final lap!

iq5b7nF.png

Results from Spain:

1.Rosberg

2. Hamilton

3. Vettel

4. Bottas

5. Raikkonen

6. Massa

7. Ricciardo

8. Grosjean

9. Sainz Jr.

10. Kyvat

It seems Nico didn't really have any competition, he just cruised through the whole race. A good day for Carlos but a bad day for Alonso with another DNF. Next up is the greatest racing day in the world starting with Monaco!

baltimoreravens.png

Is it weird that I legitimately enjoy & prefer F1 qualifying to actual F1 racing?

There are mixed opinions on this but I certainly wouldn't say yours is particularly weird or even unpopular. Some people even actually prefer the old qualifying format of just a straight 1 hour session. I guess it depends which format you are most familiar with.

I think a lot of people tend to forget that not every season of F1 has been like Prost v Senna. There have been a lot of races over the years in every single era that haven't been action packed. As well, most seasons have been dominated by a single car/team. It's very rare that the best car doesn't win the championship. Sure, this season hasn't had the most thrilling races but this isn't exactly a new problem for F1.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Another day, another Red Bull quit threat...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/32688667

Motorsport adviser Helmut Marko said Red Bull were interested in doing a deal that would see Audi enter F1.

"If we don't have a competitive engine in the near future, then either Audi is coming or we are out," said Marko.

But he denied Red Bull had already been in formal talks with the German company, which is part of the Volkswagen Group.

Ferdinand Piech, who had led the German giant for more than 20 years, resigned as chairman last month.

The 78-year-old was a staunch opponent of any of VW's brands entering F1, partly because of his personal antipathy towards F1 commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone.

Uncertainty continues to surround the senior management of Audi as a replacement for Piech has not yet been announced. His two nieces were appointed to the board to replace him and his wife, who resigned at the same time.

Then Uncle Bernie spoke...

http://www.grandprix247.com/2015/05/11/ecclestone-praises-vw-for-interest-in-f1-project/

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has added even more fuel to the ever-growing Audi-to-Formula 1 speculation.

Former Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo and F1 legend Gerhard Berger fuelled the rumours last week, suggesting Dietrich Mateschitz is pushing hard for the Volkswagen-owned marque to power or even buy his struggling team Red Bull.

Recently, arguably the biggest obstacle to VW’s involvement was removed when chairman Ferdinand Piech – no fan of F1 supremo Ecclestone – was ousted.

“They (Red Bull) won’t leave,” Ecclestone said. “I want to avoid that.”

The 84-year-old also said he understands Red Bull’s frustration with the current ‘power unit’ rules, “I can understand that and I’m not happy about it either.”

I'd say the chances are looking good for VW to come in, especially if Red Bull pulls out, there goes a lot of money.

baltimoreravens.png

BUMP

Here's what we may have in store for 2017 for F1...

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/116803-analysis-full-details-of-f1-revamp-plan

TIRES

Teams have requested to have their own free choice of two dry Pirelli compounds from the four currently available per race.

It has been stressed this would be within a strong safety framework from the manufacturer. For argument's sake, no team could choose the super-soft tire at a high-speed circuit such as Monza.

FASTER CARS

How? Cars are to be made 30kg to 50kg lighter, but not with a consequence that drivers would be required to lose weight, nor would special lightweight materials be allowed that would increase costs.

Areas of the car, such as the gearbox and electronics, would be reviewed as places from which weight could be stripped.

REFUELING

The aim here is to conduct pit stops – tires and fuel on board – within the same timeframe as currently exists for present tire-only stops of around three seconds.

Costs are naturally a concern and to be fully explored before this can be ratified.

HIGHER-REVVING ENGINES

Cars would revert to a six-speed gearbox, which would increase the revs, and in turn increase speed, hitting those targets of laps designed to be five to six seconds quicker. A six-speed 'box would also be lighter, too.

INCREASED NOISE

The Power Unit Working Group is to work on changing the tail-pipe architecture, as well as assessing the way in which the wastegate is being used in order to increase sound. It has been stressed there will be no gimmicks, but a technical solution.

AGGRESSIVE LOOKS

There would be an increase in the rear tire width, from 360mm to 420mm, which would increase grip, and again aid the increase in speed.

In addition to this the width of the cars would also be increased to two meters with wider front and rear wings, and double end plates.

FEWER DRIVER AIDS

The launch at the start of a grand prix is currently conducted via programmed software. More often than not a poor driver start stems from the like of a calibration issue in the wake of the installation lap. Under new rules, drivers would start by using their own clutch.

POWER UNITS

There was no appetite among the engine manufacturers to change the current power unit architecture as this would trigger significant redevelopment costs.

Thoughts fellow gearheads? Is Formula 1 heading in the right direction?

EDIT:

Also, Porsche's GT3 911

taskf4ypzf3eihlltuli.jpg

baltimoreravens.png

I feel that, now that Formula E has launched, racing hybrids is not necessary. The 1600cc engine is fine, but they need to let them really wind them up, especially if refueling will be allowed.

iq5b7nF.png

I do not know why FOM needs to revamp F1 again. For the concerns of higher revving engines, more aggressive looks, and increased noise have to do with the sounds of the cars on broadcasts of the race weekends. Since the V6 turbo has come on the scene, the cars have been a little quieter (not the same ear pinching noise we are all use to from days of past when I was growing up watching F1 on late night CBC) but the cars are being tracked as being faster today than in previous years. This has been proven in practice timings and testing sessions over the last couple years. The refuelling issue was changed back in 2010 from both a cost saving and a safety concern. I don't think they should bring back in-race refuelling, I think the pit strategy at the moment is great with timing a car into the pits and trying to shave off precious seconds with tyre changes. Hell look at what happened in the Spanish GP recently with three different incidents of pit failures. Just thinkk what could have happened if re-fuelling was involved.

Please FOM and FIA, keep F1 the way it is now. Too many changes to the regulations will slowly dilute a great sport which is full of history. Remember F1 is where the best drivers in the world race in.

It's a pity that they don't fix what's actually wrong with the sport rather than cover over the cracks with the planned changes mentioned above.

None of the above actually addresses the fact that outside maybe the top 4 or 5 teams, everyone else is constantly on the brink of financial ruin. Smaller teams have traditionally been the breeding grounds for top drivers and engineers/designers in the past. "Pay drivers" mean that more talented drivers miss out on race seats on what is meant to be the pinnacle of motorsport. Better/more established circuits are often dropped for financial reasons and have steadily been replaced with newer and less iconic circuits.

I understand that F1 will always be a massive corporate entity. I just think it is TOO corporate and won't change until we see the back of Bernie Ecclestone. Possibly even longer than that.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Archived