Colorado Sports Legends: Input needed

ejcooper31

Hi all, i’m planning on making a poster/accolades project for Colorado Sports Legends. I’m trying to get at least one or two athletes per sport. A lot of athletes were before my time and I was hoping to get a little input from you. Here’s who I have so far. Bold indicates that I am planning to use them. If someone is not bold and should be please tell me! Also if I missed anyone please let me know!

Football

John Elway

Terrell Davis

Basketball

Chauncey Billups

Alex English

Bill Hanzlik

Baseball

Todd Helton

Hockey

Patrick Roy

Joe Sakic

Peter Forsbert

Biking

Davis Phinney

Connie Carpenter Phinney

Skiing/Snowboarding

Hank Kashiwa

William W. “Billy” Kidd

Willy Schaeffer

Wallace “Buddy” Werner

Running/Track

Glen Morris

Frank Shorter

Frank Potts

Joe Vigil

Bill Toomey

Coaching

Doug Moe

Sonny Lubick

6221%20-%20mask%20vader%20wcw.png

(I'm only sort of kidding.)

In all seriousness, I think you've got a decent list, at least for the big 4 sports. I'd definitely have all three Avalanche guys you have there, and maybe even include Adam Foote if you have space. Vinny Castilla could also go in for the Rockies. "Legend" status is probably up in the air for these three, but Dikembe Mutombo, LaPhonso Ellis and Carmelo are guys I think of with the Nuggets.

6221%20-%20mask%20vader%20wcw.png

(I'm only sort of kidding.)

In all seriousness, I think you've got a decent list, at least for the big 4 sports. I'd definitely have all three Avalanche guys you have there, and maybe even include Adam Foote if you have space. Vinny Castilla could also go in for the Rockies. "Legend" status is probably up in the air for these three, but Dikembe Mutombo, LaPhonso Ellis and Carmelo are guys I think of with the Nuggets.

Mutumbo. When I think of the Nuggets I think of Mutumbo.

I'm really trying to find the best of the best when it comes to "Colorado sports." If there are one or two same sport players that are so good, then i'll add both. For the Nuggets, I agree that both Melo and Mutumbo are top of the list, but for "Colorado Basketball" I feel that Chauncey Billups and Becky Hammon are top tier.

For Hockey I think I am going to stick with Patrick Roy and Joe Sakic

Thanks for the input

Alex English and Dikembe Mutombo both have a larger legacy in Denver then Becky Hammon or Chauncey Billups. Hell, Billups is more of a Pistons "legend" than a Nuggets one.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Chauncey is undoubtably more of a piston than a nugget, but winning 3 state championships in high school and taking CU to the tourney twice is pretty damn significant. As for Dikembe, he played for six teams during his eighteen year career, five years on the Nuggs. I also feel like the highlight of his nuggets career was when they beat George Karls no.1 seed sonics. I think i'll try to include Alex English as well

You're missing Kordell Stewart, yeah?

Billups' best year was in Detroit, whereas Alex English is known for being a Nugget (and according to Wikipedia, is their all-time leading scorer). I'd use him instead. Mutombo played everywhere, but did have the big series against the Sonics in 94, so who knows.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

You're missing Kordell Stewart, yeah?

Billups' best year was in Detroit, whereas Alex English is known for being a Nugget (and according to Wikipedia, is their all-time leading scorer). I'd use him instead. Mutombo played everywhere, but did have the big series against the Sonics in 94, so who knows.

Kordell Stewart is definitely up there, but I have a few Broncos to consider: Terrell Davis, Shannon Sharpe, and now Champ Bailey. I also need to be aware of how much room i'll have on the canvas, don't want it to be too clustered

No Byron White, Dan Issel or David Thompson?

If I can find some hq photos of Byron White i'll definitely consider him more.

I considered Dan Issel as well because of his duality of his10 years playing and 4 of coaching for the nuggets. But for the same reason I didn't give him and David Thompson a second look was because there are so many more successful Nuggets ahead of them

• 1 month later...

As far as Colorado football players go, there is only one.

However, I'm gonna throw out the name that deserves to be mentioned: Pat Bowlen.

Over the past 30 years, the Broncos have appeared in six Super Bowls, winning two, and have consistently been "in the discussion". The one constant over that period of time has been Pat Bowlen -- an absolute icon in Denver.

6uXNWAo.png

Yeah, I feel like it's got to be English. He was the NBA's leading scorer of the 1980s! (Possibly my favorite piece of basketball trivia. Nobody ever guesses English.)

Also... David Thompson? Steve Atwater?

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived