Griffins Logo - Need C&C

STL_ArchMadness

Hello all, Happy New Year!

My brother has just started playing hockey for our local club team, the North Griffins, and I am in the process of becoming a bigger hockey fan. As most re-brands start, I saw the teams current logo and just noticed how bad and "clip-art-ish" it looked. So I decided to take a crack at it. I'm not being paid for this but I am going to see about maybe showing it to the director of the club and see how he feels.

They use the same colors as the Philly Flyers so those are not negotiable. But I would love some C&C on this!

If I had to pick out the thing I most disliked about it, it would be the mouth. I want it to look angry, but also calm at the same time I guess lol, not sure how to describe my feeling on that.

Well, any C&C is welcome and appreciated! Thank you!

j97zoo.jpg

105qfki.jpg

If the name is Griffins, it needs to look like a griffin- a winged dog (despite there being a dog breed called gryphon) is some other kind of creature. So, in my view, the griffin's head needs to look like an eagle, conventionally with added ears and a mane. They are most often depicted with their mouths open, which helps give a distinctive silhouette, and conveys ferocity. Saab (using Scania's original badge) depicted one. Another model is one of the "Queen's Beasts" sculptures at Kew Gardens in London (the griffin is just above the seated people).

saab-opt.jpg

Queens_beasts_9033.jpg

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

Archived