2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's even worse than what it was originally.

It's an awful, dated set. Why some of you fetishize that uniform is completely beyond me.

Because it's literally perfect for a team called the Flames. Not every team has to dress in black or navy.

But there is a thing called color balance, and the Flames lacked that until they introduced black into their color scheme.
So you think the Chargers' original color scheme was bad too?

Red and yellow are perfectly distinguishable from each other, they don't bleed together, it's fine. Philosophies like that makes teams blend together more and the whole league seem duller.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but these are the best uniforms the flames have had.

I don't see it as BFBS. It adds a nice amount of contrast to the set and it just balances well. I'm all for colourful uniforms, but I just think red, black and gold looks good for Calgary.

iginla_calgary4-01.jpg

^The roads from that set were pretty good (except for the font). Red serves as the primary colour, with yellow as an accent and black there to provide contrast.

Calgary-Flames-White-Jersey-2000-07.jpg

The homes, however, got the colour balance all wrong, relying wayyyyy too heavily on black.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

^The roads from that set were pretty good (except for the font). Red serves as the primary colour, with yellow as an accent and black there to provide contrast.

Calgary-Flames-White-Jersey-2000-07.jpg

The homes, however, got the colour balance all wrong, relying wayyyyy too heavily on black.

I disagree. It's got the solid foundation in red and black, and then the yellow and white add the "pop" to the colour scheme.

Take the 2004 jerseys, use the 1990s or current 3rd font, use the current 3rd's shoulder patches, and make the numbers on the red jersey white instead of black. There. Fixed.

Or, if you're the actual Calgary Flames, make shoulder flags the freaking linchpin of your identity and change nothing.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but these are the best uniforms the flames have had.

I don't see it as BFBS. It adds a nice amount of contrast to the set and it just balances well. I'm all for colourful uniforms, but I just think red, black and gold looks good for Calgary.

iginla_calgary4-01.jpg

I agree. This look works very well for Calgary. It's a good modern look that doesn't need to go retro for retro sake.

The real problem with Calgary's current look is not the use of black. It's that awful template that needs to go. They need to keep the same basic design, with a better set of stripes, something more similar to the 03-07 set and they'll be in buisness.

iginla_calgary4-01.jpg

I agree. This look works very well for Calgary. It's a good modern look that doesn't need to go retro for retro sake.

The real problem with Calgary's current look is not the use of black. It's that awful template that needs to go. They need to keep the same basic design, with a better set of stripes, something more similar to the 03-07 set and they'll be in buisness.

While(minority opinion) i really like the flames current set, going back to that set would be almost perfect. I would just change the flame on the pants to red in yellow.

I dont like how the white flaming C looks, at all.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

If monkeypower doesn't mind me posting this:

Something like this for the Flames?

Flames_zps1a7nq32e.png

I've been toying with a concept like this for a while. I also don't know why the background is black.

Really, all the Flames need to do is add a bit of SUBTLE black trim into their classic set, and they would be good to go.

iginla_calgary4-01.jpg

Beautiful. This was definitely their best look though the retros would still be a welcome change over the current mess

Flames_zps1a7nq32e.png

I've been toying with a concept like this for a while. I also don't know why the background is black.

Really, all the Flames need to do is add a bit of SUBTLE black trim into their classic set, and they would be good to go.

I enjoy this set a lot!!

Calgary is best off just doing what the blues did and go back to their pre-edge set, a modern classic. Maybe horizontal striped instead of diagonal?

Flames_zps49kh0hjm.png

The black is overdone in this set. If anything it should be a trim color not a main color in the scheme. The black breezers, helmet, and large swaths on the home jerseys are too much. These are the Flames, embrace that identity. This look just blends them in with New Jersey, Chicago, and Ottawa.

Flames_zps1a7nq32e.png

I enjoy this set a lot!!

This is a start, but if the main complaint is that the red and yellow 'bleed" into one another (which I don't necessarily agree with) then the black outlines should be separating the red from the yellow in all places. Here you're just separating yellow from white.

I just hope that if the Flames do choose to change their uniforms they keep the flags on the shoulders. You see sometimes I forget where Calgary is. The flags remind me of the province and country.

The other day I said. "Is Calgary in Virginia?" Then I looked at the flag on the shoulder and said "Oh right. Its in Alberta!!".

Then one time I said. "What country is Calgary in again? Mozambique?" But (thankfully) the flag on the shoulder set me straight and I said. "Oh that's right. Its in Canada!!"

So that is why they need the flags to remind us of where the city is located. :rolleyes:

The Catch of the Day!

They look really good too. I especially like the blue Alberta patch on their red uniforms. Too many teams adhere to colour schemes and design principles these days... Nice to see the Flames thinking outside the box.

I know a lot of people hated the horse logo, but I thought this guy was a perfect secondary logo for a Calgary team.

kohc3s8yz5fi74z6ojk1od6ah.gif

I'd also be okay if this replaced the flags. This is a good logo that is underused.

7483_calgary_flames-alternate-2014.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

How about this for the pens?

Penguins_zpszg9acngi.jpg

Not a bad suggestion. I sort of like it. But would those fit on an EDGE template? I believe that is one reason why the Pens changed their jerseys from 2006-2007 to the 2007-2008 EDGEs.

At some point, I believe the current black and yellow third is going to be the new home jersey, and a white version will be created to be the road.

That's even worse than what it was originally.

It's an awful, dated set. Why some of you fetishize that uniform is completely beyond me.

Because it's literally perfect for a team called the Flames. Not every team has to dress in black or navy.
But there is a thing called color balance, and the Flames lacked that until they introduced black into their color scheme.
So you think the Chargers' original color scheme was bad too?

Red and yellow are perfectly distinguishable from each other, they don't bleed together, it's fine. Philosophies like that makes teams blend together more and the whole league seem duller.

There is a vast difference between blue/yellow and red/yellow. On the color spectrum red/yellow are both warm colors, meanwhile blue/yellow have a cool and warm color going for it. The Flames red/yellow do bleed, we're lucky the Flames didn't include orange that would be even worse. The addition or a dark color help balance the lighter colors, it's far more pleasing to the eye.

Again, that's why the color scheme works considering the team name. And I disagree about them bleeding together, it's fine to me because the red is clearly darker than the yellow. So you hate how the Chiefs and old Hawks/Rockets looked too?

Archived