2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

Here was my idea for tweaking the Sharks' logo from a couple years ago. I'd lose the silver keyline now, though, come to think of it. Pretend it's not there.

9SYPR.jpg

Aside from the knob, this is perfection. Put this logo on the original striping and the sharks vault from the bottom 10 to the top 5.

Agreed. I like the new shark's overall shape and his stick is arguably better, but I hate the orange on the shark (and as a secondary color).

The Arizona Coyotes will wear their road jersey at Gila River Arena on November 5th when they play the Colorado Avalanche.

There will be TWO Throwback Nights during the upcoming season... November 27th against Calgary and February 20th against St. Louis.

Here is the Promotional Nights schedule for these listed dates.

What is the logic behind wearing their road kit at home? Not that I've ever expected logic from that franchise.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. I like the new shark's overall shape and his stick is arguably better, but I hate the orange on the shark (and as a secondary color).

Silver would be a secondary color with this logo, not orange. Only the stick would be orange, as on the 1992-2007 logo.

What is the logic behind wearing their road kit at home? Not that I've ever expected logic from that franchise.

So people can see the white sweaters in person and maybe want to buy them more. Teams do it all the time. Minnesota did it recently.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Silver would be a secondary color with this logo, not orange. Only the stick would be orange, as on the 1992-2007 logo.

So people can see the white sweaters in person and maybe want to buy them more. Teams do it all the time. Minnesota did it recently.

Oh I understood that. I was just stating I like this redesign of the logo eliminating the orange as a secondary color other than the stick (like the old logo). Also like the triangle being a triangle again.

Giant Pacific Octopus> Sure Disney wanted to use the team to promote themself. But the NHL also saw it as an opportunity to grow the game, to promote it, and get kids and young people interested in hockey. And you know what? it worked, it worked very very well. I was a 90's kid, and proof of that. And i didn't even know about the movies, the animated series or the fact that Disney owned the team before i had already fallen in love with the team. I just liked the logo, which had suddenly started to appear everywhere where i lived, which was in Denmark... not exactly the biggest hockey marked in the world, which should tell you a great deal about just how recognizeable and marketable that wild wing logo is. Who cares if it was mostly non hockey fans who bought the merchandise. I know plenty of people who aren't fans of Basketball, Baseball or Football, yet gladly wear caps and shirts with the logos of the Bulls, Yankees or Manchester United. To me, complaining about Disney promoting the Mighty Ducks (and thereby the entire sport) is about as silly as if a bunch of pizzeries had started to complain about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles making a joke out of the delicious food that is pizza.

It's completely fair to dislike a logo because you don't like the style. That's no different from me, not liking very simple logos, hence why i'm not a fan of the Flyers logo either. But whether you like it or not, many people today love the classic Mighty Ducks logo, which is why it's back. And it's probably not going anywhere anytime soon, so you might aswell get used to seeing it :-p

Michael Eisner had been asked four times prior if Disney had wanted to own an NHL franchise and he turned it down despite him being a hockey fan. Then he gets another chance at an NHL team and he says yes because of hockey growing in the States and Disney's success with the first Mighty Ducks movie. He even calls the first movie Disney's retroactive market research for hockey.

In the interest of full disclosure here, Michael Eisner primarily said yes that fifth time because his soon-to-be-bankrupt-and-indicted friend Bruce McNall got him into a dick-measuring contest with Wayne Huizenga. And that's how we got the hastily-arranged expansion to Anaheim and Miami, and how Bruce McNall got a chunk of expansion fee money to get him over for just a little bit longer.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The simple stylized "D' that doubles as a webbed foot is both aesthetically pleasing and unique. It looks like a sports logo rather than a cartoon used to sell toys. It gives the team the classy and mature look of a sports franchise rather than some Disney product to appease children. Its sharp and bold and jumps off the jerseys at you. Its very reminiscent of the winged "P" of the Flyers or the stylized blue note of St.Louis. An effective simple and sharp design

The D logo has grown on me for this reason. It's basically a modern take on a more traditional hockey logo, akin to the examples you pointed out. Pretty much the best way to represent a duck without using a duck in the logo, but that's also its biggest weakness and why I didn't have much faith in it from the start. Countless times I've been asked "Where's the duck?", for example. Maybe it would be more easily recognisable as a duck's foot if the main portion was orange rather than gold, but who knows. In terms of brand recognition it can't hold a candle to the likes of the Flyers or Blues, or more to the point, the Mighty Ducks.

The Mighty Ducks logo is a 1990's cartoon. A cartoon logo. For a team with a cartoon name. Designed by a company that specializes in producing cartoons.

And the logo originated with the real life NHL team. Before being used in a live action movie. Before finally making the transition to a cartoon. Go figure!

They wanted to emphasize the nickname as a brand/franchise. To appeal to the non-sports fan

In that regard, the Mighty Ducks brand was a success. And probably why the NHL was all too keen on having Disney own a franchise in the first place.

The logo is eyecatching, and recognisable all over the world. Yeah, that's mainly because of the movies rather than the actual team itself, but maybe a portion of those kids who grew up with the films went on to develop an interest in hockey and learn to play the game themselves despite living in parts of the world where it's a minority sport playing twenty second fiddle to soccer. Maybe there's this one guy, a non-sports fan who the animated series appealed to as a kid, who went on to become a big NHL fan, a die-hard follower of the real-life Ducks team despite living more than 5,000 miles away from them, and is now sitting in front of a laptop discussing the merits of this logo with a cephalopod.

That cartoon Mighty Ducks logo should have went out with the bath water along with the Mighty Ducks name.

I miss the Fisherman.

ಠ_ಠ

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

The first and third Ducks movies are pretty good for what they are. The second one is hot garbage.

Giant Pacific Octopus> Sure Disney wanted to use the team to promote themself. But the NHL also saw it as an opportunity to grow the game, to promote it, and get kids and young people interested in hockey. And you know what? it worked, it worked very very well. I was a 90's kid, and proof of that.

I always found that odd. I was into Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the Power Rangers, Marvel Comics, and I loved the 90s Raptors look. I was in that key young male demographic right when the Ducks started up. I never needed to see a cartoon duck-shaped hockey mask to get me interested in the game.

Yes, I know. Canada. It's not the same. How dare I expect every market to be like Toronto, yadda yadda...

I'm going to Ice_Cap this.

Thank you? :D

GP Octopus, did the Mighty Ducks kill your family or something?

Maybe he's Icelandic? :upside:

Iceland isn't even in the Pacific!!

In the interest of full disclosure here, Michael Eisner primarily said yes that fifth time because his soon-to-be-bankrupt-and-indicted friend Bruce McNall got him into a dick-measuring contest with Wayne Huizenga. And that's how we got the hastily-arranged expansion to Anaheim and Miami, and how Bruce McNall got a chunk of expansion fee money to get him over for just a little bit longer.

I'll never fully understand how "Blockbuster Video is gonna own an NHL team and you won't" was supposed to call the Walt Disney Corporation to action, but here we are.

The whole disney thing aside, why are people nostalgic about the Mighty Ducks?

Sure, it's a decent movie, but I've never seen anyone argue for the Chiefs to be the next NHL team name.

They did nothing good while they were the Mighty Ducks. There's the 2003 loss and Paul Kariya's tears. That's the story of the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim.

As soon as they dropped the mighty, the won the cup. But nobody seems to care about when success happened.

I really think it's nostalgia for no purpose other than "I want to feel the warm happiness I did as a child, before I learned that the real world isn't going to make all my dreams come true." And that's no way to market a sports franchise.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Probably has a lot to do with the cup winning uniforms being so awful. The 2006 redesign has to stand as one of the biggest downgrades in league history. The script, the striping, the numbers, the colours all looked dated before the puck even dropped on the 2006/07 season... Current set is a marginal improvement but still suffers from all the same problems, sans the crest. The striping is arguably worse...

With this new alternate, they finally have a good looking uniform for the first time since that ill advised rebrand. As I've stated before, it can't become the primary soon enough.

Can I still get two tickets for the price of some Timbits and a large coffee?

Ten Timbits and a large coffee now cost around four bucks. This is enough for a 20 guests suite and buffet, 10 valet parking passes and a chance to meet the team after the game.

I literally fell in love with the Wild's road jersey because of Niño Niederriter's OT goal vs Nashville with the white jerseys at home. It also made me really want teams to play in white at home.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

The whole disney thing aside, why are people nostalgic about the Mighty Ducks?

Sure, it's a decent movie, but I've never seen anyone argue for the Chiefs to be the next NHL team name.

They did nothing good while they were the Mighty Ducks. There's the 2003 loss and Paul Kariya's tears. That's the story of the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim.

Still more successful than the Sharks have been in their whole history. Or the Blues. Or the Leaves since 1967. Or...

They sold more of this merchandise through thier Disney Stores than at the Arrowhead Pond.

There are over 400 Disney Stores today. Probably at least half that in the '90s. There is one Arrowhead Pond. I wonder which one will sell more stuff.

I really think it's nostalgia for no purpose other than "I want to feel the warm happiness I did as a child, before I learned that the real world isn't going to make all my dreams come true." And that's no way to market a sports franchise.

Thread just got really dark.

Not any planet I want to live on, dammit.

Oddly, I never really liked the Mighty Ducks' uniforms the first time around, but I missed them the moment the new set got unveiled.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

On what planet is this...

jsWtDBA.jpg

Better than this?

Dbdxylo.jpg

If they used the Webbed-D instead of the wordmark from the start, I think it would've been.

The curve of the stripe matches the curve of the logo. It's meant to be. Someone in the marketing department clearly said, "but how will they know it's us?" and people listened.

Shoulder patch wouldn't have hurt either.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

They're very drab and autumnal for a team in Southern California. Dark green and a nice duck-bill yellow-orange would have given them a lot of character, but nope, Brian Burke had to do his thing. The best I can say in terms of local flair is that the Ducks script reminds me a little of a skateboard, or something that might be on a skateboard.

I've never skateboarded.

Archived