2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole disney thing aside, why are people nostalgic about the Mighty Ducks?

The nostalgia factor does play into the logo's appeal, but some of us never wanted it gone in the first place.

Wondering if the Sharks' "heritage jersey with throwback elements" means it'll use the current (inferior) name and number font.

That wouldn't surprise me. It's similar enough that they could probably get away with it.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Amidst all this, I feel like the biggest mistake the Ducks made when they rebranded in 2006 was not completely changing their name. If they wanted to de-Disneyfy the team that badly, then they should've known only removing half of their name wasn't gonna do it, they needed a clean break with a brand new name.

Amidst all this, I feel like the biggest mistake the Ducks made when they rebranded in 2006 was not completely changing their name. If they wanted to de-Disneyfy the team that badly, then they should've known only removing half of their name wasn't gonna do it, they needed a clean break with a brand new name.

I don't believe they wanted to make a clean break when they switched.

IbjBaeE.png

I totally disagree. I have one and I get countless compliments on it, mainly because of Johnny Canuck. I love the green. The Whalers are long gone and there hasn't been any team to wear a kelly green jersey with blue since then.

Anyway, here's my wish list:

Buffalo: Lose the silver piping and the turd third.

Calgary: Retros full time or at the very least, an '04 look with red yokes on the whites, red helmets with the reds and non italic font.

Colorado: More traditional with a bit of pre-Edge elements. Replace the black with maroon. Emphasize a unique colour.

Minnesota: New everything starting with the name. Green should be primary dark colour regardless of any name change.

Nashville: Wear yellows on the road with yellow helmets. Navy worn worn at home.

Ottawa: Traditional jersey template with new 2D logo and black as the primary dark colour.

Pittsburgh: At least return to '91-'92 template.

San Jose: Bring back hem striping and lose front numbers.

Toronto: Harold Ballard Leaf must go. Blue yokes on whites and single white stripes on the pants.

Vancouver: Make Skating Johnny OR the Stick 'n Rink the primary. Return to block font and add a green border. Royal blue as a primary and either kelly green or navy with lots of green as alternate jersey colour.

First off on nashville, it's GOLD not yellow. Second, no gold helmets, the Kings proved that it wasn't good. Third, why would we make gold the away jersey? It looks great and is too dark for away jersey. Although i wouldn't mind seeing the old navy blue alternate return as a third jersey.

I would love to see gold on the road for the Preds, but not at the cost of navy being the home jersey. Too many teams have that as their primary home color, IMO. I'm behind the return of their navy alternates, but I think they should use the vintage-looking smilodon logo. The one that was wasted on those hideous mustard alternates.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

I agree, a complete rebrand is an awfully overzealous move, and an unnecessary one, I think. A complete rebrand could have alienated existing fans. Instead of your Mighty Ducks team gear becoming more of a sign of how long you've been a fan, it would have been made pretty much completely obsolete. While it is true that the Disney break is a situation truly unique to a major sporting league, I think there's a significant reason that in-place rebranding is such a rarity, especially without outside factors being a major cause (i.e. Charlotte reclaiming the Hornets name and New Orleans creating their Pelicans identity).

In fact, I can't think of a single situation in the past 30 years where a major league has rebranded in-place without it being due to a negative/controversial popular opinion with the team's identity (Bullets and, arguably, DC MLB/Houston NFL).

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Exactly. The way i remember it, the owners wanted a complete rebrand, atleast initially, but that was never what the fans wanted. They wanted to acknowledge their heritage but at the same time, they didn't want to be known as "that Disney club", so some distancing from Disney was necessary. This is easy to see, when you look at the 2006/2007 uniform. It's not completely unlike the classic Mighty Ducks home and away jersey, just look at the stripes. But at the same time, it's primarily inspired by the black third jersey, which was very popular, and easily the least cartoonish uniform the Ducks had ever had. And then a little orange was thrown in because... well they are from Orange County. They also kept Wild Wing. That alone should be proof, that the team wasn't going for a complete rebrand.

Oh and i have to comment on that Sharks Jersey. I love it. It looks very good. Out of all the jerseys the Sharks ever had (and they've had plenty of good ones) the original home jersey was always my favorite... well it was the away jersey back then but you know what i mean. As for the old logo vs the new, i like both. I think the new one is a great update of a classic.

I think they should use the vintage-looking smilodon logo. The one that was wasted on those hideous mustard alternates.

The 3-D one? That wasn't vintage at all. If anything, it was a more futuristic take on their traditional logo, which the new logo made stale and static in comparison.

As you can guess, I liked that logo too. It got a bad rap.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

When I say vintage-looking, it strikes me as what the original logo would have looked like if the team had gotten their start in the 60's or 70's expansions.

That reminds me of the Miami Dolphins. I like it a lot. Good work, Sharks.

What's is apparently wrong with the knob?

My knob tastes funny.

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM TASTING THE KNOB

Here was my idea for tweaking the Sharks' logo from a couple years ago. I'd lose the silver keyline now, though, come to think of it. Pretend it's not there.

9SYPR.jpg

NICE! I still think there's slightly too much detail in the logo (mainly the tape on the stick I guess) but it's very good. Losing the orange eye does wonders for the legitimacy of the overall look of the logo imo.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

I think they should use the vintage-looking smilodon logo. The one that was wasted on those hideous mustard alternates.

The 3-D one? That wasn't vintage at all. If anything, it was a more futuristic take on their traditional logo, which the new logo made stale and static in comparison.

As you can guess, I liked that logo too. It got a bad rap.

Wasn't that one only ever used on the mustard jersey? That was a huge knock against it.

Because that logo is sheer genius.

It's clever and whimsical, tapping into hockey history with the old-timey mask and not taking itself too seriously. It beats the hell out of any wordmark or bland corporatized "D.

But the Mighty Ducks logo was made by a huge corporation that is secretly buying up everything. From ABC television to Marvel Comics to Star Wars.

The fact is the "Mighty Ducks" logo is

*A cartoon logo

*Designed by a cartoon company

*For a team with a cartoon nickname

*To promote a brand that debuted a year earlier as a kids film.

The movie begot the sports team that begot the Saturday morning cartoon that begot the toys.

The clever webbed foot/D gives the team the look of a pro sports franchise rather that a Disney brand.

You're making it sound like some damn Illuminati thing... Disney doesn't "secretly" buy anything. Everyone's been talking about Star Wars nonstop for the last three years. When they bought Marvel, it was literally front page news.

- Many, many sports logos are cartoon logos.

- Who better to design a cartoon logo?

- I don't mind the name, but I won't begrudge someone who does.

- I view it as a zeitgeist name, like how the Raptors wouldn't be the Raptors if the Jurassic Park movie didn't come out at that time. The hockey team made it into a brand; they didn't chase a brand.

- Yup, and that all begot Disney a lot of cash... which I think is kinda the point.

I remember the Seals rumour but I doubt there was anything official.

I feel like the only reason they rebranded at all is because Burke was at the helm. The Mighty Ducks weren't truculent enough to his tastes, and I doubt he even considered the Golden Seals for the same reason. Had he not been around I think the most the Ducks would've done was make the black and purple alt the new home - which they basically did in 2005-06 - and bring in a matching white version.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Archived