BigBubba

2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

I remember the first time I saw those Nike Sharks jerseys (as was the fad at the time, they started as a 3rd, then transitioned to primary,) and I thought, "Oh, Nike took the stripes they used for the Denver Broncos, and slapped them on a hockey jersey." That's still my impression of them 18 years later. They're too busy and too Nike, and they dumped the fantastic shark fin shoulder patch (though that had originally stayed in a prototype, along with a zip-up collar.)

Always loved the look of the Sharks jerseys, up until the point they went to the Edge template and added orange, shoulder yokes, front numbers, etc. The updated logo was a slight improvement but overall they've sucked ever since.

The Nolan-era Sharks jerseys are my favorite set they've worn. The whites especially, they're one of my favorite jerseys of all time.

The patches looked great. The zipper? Not so much...

Dx7WI6v.jpg

looks like they also had some white piping separating the teal and gray. And look at that they flipped the logo on the left shoulder so both are facing forwards. That looks better. Good move not to use white numbers of the sleeves.

Overall I'm happy with what they actually went with even though the black stripes on the teal jersey were clearly Denver Broncos inspired.

The whites were superior for that reason. My one gripe about the white set was the socks didn't have any black on them for some reason

373%20goal.jpg

I think I liked that one better at the time, not so much in retrospect. Way too much grey.

Similarly, the large chunk of white at the bottom of the inaugural jersey is the only thing I don't like about that.

See the grey on the Sharks second set teal jersey is what sells it for me. A good substantial use of what was at the time their secondary color. And the color of a shark to boot.

San-Jose-Sharks-Teal-Jersey-1998-2007.jp

To my mind, this is still the best uniform they've ever worn.

The patches looked great. The zipper? Not so much...

Dx7WI6v.jpg

What the heck...

See the grey on the Sharks second set teal jersey is what sells it for me. A good substantial use of what was at the time their secondary color. And the color of a shark to boot.

San-Jose-Sharks-Teal-Jersey-1998-2007.jp

To my mind, this is still the best uniform they've ever worn.

As much as I like their inaugural set, I'm beginning to agree. The thing I really liked about the Nolan era threads, is how the striping loosely resembled the open mouth of a shark, particularly on the teals.

For me, the Sharks are a 90's era expansion team, not a continuation of a franchise that hasn't won anything or had a decent uniform. Second six or not, the Seals don't belong in the same category as the North Stars, Blues, Flyers, etc... They've technically been 5 different teams before arriving as the Sharks. They should have a striping pattern that is somewhat out there, not playing O6 dress-up with teal.

It's not Original Six dress-up if they're wearing teal.

Or if they have a cartoony logo.

I've always seen the pre-Edge striping as minicking shark fins; is that not the case?

The zipper idea, though novel, seems like a great way to have cuts on your neck. It's not like these players aren't moving at high speed, that's going to rub at some point, and zippers ain't soft.

Or if they have a cartoony logo.

Really? It sounds like we're tailoring this definition to match whatever we want it to match, which destroys the entire impact of the phrase.

And it's hard to say that simplified logos are a part of "original six dress up" when you have the Blackhawks, Maple Leafs 35-point leaf, and the detail of the Red Wings.

And it's not like the Blackhawks have truly simple stripes (on the red) either...or for that matter, the Rangers' whites.

I think we the board needs to come up with a succinct definition that covers all the teams accused of "original six dress up" but excludes the ones we don't include in this.

"Original Six Dress-Up" means, to me, "looks like an Original Six team."

So the Dallas Stars' current look? The old Coyotes look? The Sharks' inaugural look? They're not cases of "Original Six Dress-Up" because those teams' unique colour schemes give them their own identities.

The Lightning and Hurricanes qualify not because they use simple and traditional striping patterns but because they use them with colours that very clearly mimic the looks of Original Six franchises. No such worries with the above examples.

The zipper idea, though novel, seems like a great way to have cuts on your neck. It's not like these players aren't moving at high speed, that's going to rub at some point, and zippers ain't soft.

There used to be a former Nike employee who was a semi-regular around here, who said the NHL basically had the same view on zippers. Which is how we ended up with those wonky-looking deep Nike collars instead.

"original sex dress up"

Go on, I'm listening.

Okay, not O6 dress up but the striping of the inaugural set exactly unique, especially for the time. I like classic hockey sweaters as much as the next guy but variety and originality are nice too.

Seems odd the Avalanche won't take preorders for their new alternates.

Its pretty obvious they are leaked and may as well capitalize on preorders...

The NHL/Adidas pact is official, and there will NOT be any jersey ads after all.......

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/09/15/nhl-announces-adidas-deal-jerseys-will-be-ad-free/

Are those Sharks heritage jerseys going to be available online or only at the Sharks' team store?

http://shop.nhl.com/San_Jose_Sharks_Jerseys/source/BM-NHLcom-CTX-SJS-300x100-Jerseys-07.14.14

they sure are

That heritage jersey looks even better when placed next to all the other Shark's sweaters... And they appear to be the original shade of teal.