2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

Should the Avs be honoring the Hockey-Rockies in the first place? They made the playoffs one out of six years and spent the other five in the cellar, one of which was the year Don Cherry coached the team and had them playing like something out of the Federal League. They tried to move to the Meadowlands, failed, then they moved to the Meadowlands anyway. On top of all that, their uniforms were very garish. It's a legacy that makes the Whalers look like the Habs. If anything, they were a setback to NHL hockey in Denver, not a catalyst, and should be forgotten while the glory days of the Avs are celebrated.

Maybe so but they had a kick-ass name and logo.

Really though? It seems like such a static name and an even more static logo for a game so fluid in motion. Many logos try to push some sort of speed or movement, and the Rockies were the exact opposite. It was decent...certainly shows "Colorado" well, but I don't think it's a good hockey logo.

Really, it's the exact opposite of the Avalanche logo.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it because of its simple geometry, and its excellent use of a great state flag.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Should the Avs be honoring the Hockey-Rockies in the first place? They made the playoffs one out of six years and spent the other five in the cellar, one of which was the year Don Cherry coached the team and had them playing like something out of the Federal League. They tried to move to the Meadowlands, failed, then they moved to the Meadowlands anyway. On top of all that, their uniforms were very garish. It's a legacy that makes the Whalers look like the Habs. If anything, they were a setback to NHL hockey in Denver, not a catalyst, and should be forgotten while the glory days of the Avs are celebrated.

It's not really a case of the Avs NEEDING to homage the Rockies, because you're right. They certainly don't have to. It's that the Rockies had a great logo, and the new alternate logo does a pretty good job emulating what worked about it. It's just a superior logo to their Mountain Dew Avalanche Rush Flavour-esque mark. In my opinion, of course.

That it also homages a past NHL team from the same city is a bonus.

Is this backlash against the Avs logo new? I certainly don't remember it. I don't mind a logo being an artifact of its time now and then. It's why I want the Islanders' crest to stay the same no matter how many bright and skilled design experts say it's a pile of crap.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The logo's mediocre at best, and its accompanying uniforms left much to be desired. Particularly the white version which hardly has any blue, outside of the logo.

The logo was simple and effective and the jerseys popped out at you. I became a fan in 1981 watching them on TV. Those bold jerseys really stood out compared to all the other jerseys in the league.

The Catch of the Day!

Is this backlash against the Avs logo new? I certainly don't remember it. I don't mind a logo being an artifact of its time now and then. It's why I want the Islanders' crest to stay the same no matter how many bright and skilled design experts say it's a pile of crap.

I've hated it since Day One. The Islanders one is at the very least well-balanced, which put it head and shoulders above the Avs' mess.

It's just aged slowly. Combine that with the team middling since the Sakic/Roy/Forsberg Show ended? It was one of those logos that, for me anyway, just faded into the background of the league. One day I just sort of realised that it had suddenly become very dated.

It's not that 90s style means it must change. The Panthers have a very 90s logo, and I think it works perfectly. I wouldn't want them to change it. So long as they exist as a NHL franchise at any rate. 90s-ness in and of itself isn't bad. Just that some designs from the era age worse then others.

The Islanders' mark may be dated, but I think it works because the elements are all bold. It's not weighed down by unnecessary details like shading and outlining. The Avs' logo, on the other hand, just seems a bit too over-designed. Like a lot of stuff from the 90s was.

I can get on board with that. I started feeling that way about the Mariners, where it was like "okay, time to move on, I think," even though it's by no means a bad identity. It's just showing its age as the team's relevant years in that identity fade further into the rearview. The Tennessee Titans are there, too, come to think of it.

Maybe a redrawing of the logo is in order to bring it up to 2015 design standards, but conceptually speaking, a cascade of snow in a C down a mountain that looks like an A is as strong a way to say "Colorado Avalanche" as it gets, one would have to think. Unlike the backpedaling the Minnesota Wild have successfully done because of how entrenched Minnesota hockey is and what a preposterous name "Wild" is, branding them as simply a State of Colorado team feels like a clear step back: they're the Avalanche, they play hockey, ice, snow, it all works.

LXh79zp.jpg

8TbJ492.jpg

If there was ever proof of this 'retro fad' crossing the line into sheer ridiculousness, this is it. The above moments? Never happened. Bury them in obscurity to pay homage to a team that never won a playoff game or had a winning season... ever. A team that was active for a whopping 6 seasons. Forget the two championships, the 6 conference finals appearances, the 9 division titles, the 13 playoff appearances in 18 years... They are all irrelevant. The important thing is having a boring, 3 tone logo that looks like it was slapped together in the span of 5 minutes so yet another team can hop on the retro bandwagon. Progress :rolleyes:

I've hated it since Day One. The Islanders one is at the very least well-balanced, which put it head and shoulders above the Avs' mess.

There's nothing unbalanced about it... You may not like it personally but the colour distribution, white space and contrast are all executed flawlessly. Much better than the train wreck that is the Islanders logo.

LXh79zp.jpg

8TbJ492.jpg

If there was ever proof of this 'retro fad' crossing the line into sheer ridiculousness, this is it. The above moments? Never happened.

I'll give you this; you have a truly dizzying array of straw man arguments. :rolleyes:

On the Islanders front, I've already seen three black jerseys being worn on the street. Only one of those in Brooklyn. We'll see if this reflects a bump in sales, significant or otherwise; will their new fans take to the black look, or will it quickly fade away?

The real test will be what Howie Rose says about them during games. If he isn't allowed to rant about how terrible these glorified practice jerseys look and how the organization keeps insisting on these terrible alternates that don't even resemble the true glorious New York Islanders, then the other Yormark has won and they'll probably be the primaries next year. Just remember that, guys, the Nets are run by a Yormark.

All three colors in the Av's socks work great together, they were always my favorite part of their uniforms. IMO they'd look better if they never went back to the odd looking mountain motif and go with stripes. Besides was it really that clever of an idea?

Chicago+Blackhawks+v+Colorado+Avalanche+

mason-mask.jpg

Steve Mason's new mask showing Flyers old-timers as zombies

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Depicting the 1970s Flyers as they actually looked was deemed too grotesque.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived