2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

380px-Mountain_Dew_logo_90s_svg_zpswatsd

Untitled_5_zpskwhy58i3.png

Exact matches? Nah. They do remind me of the Avs primary, though.

I think it's the swooshy oval in the back that gives the current Avs' logo a "gas station food court" feel

o.jpg

Gosh, they're practically clones of the Av's primary :rolleyes:.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

380px-Mountain_Dew_logo_90s_svg_zpswatsd

Exact matches? Nah. They do remind me of the Avs primary, though.

I think it's the swooshy oval in the back that gives the current Avs' logo a "gas station food court" feel

Gosh, they're practically clones of the Av's primary :rolleyes:.

Wait just one second! That is not the Avs primary?? I could have sworn it was.

Exactly.

Though the Avs logo would actually work for a chill-based sugary drink. Much better than for a hockey team.

Firstly, none of the 'chill based sugary drink' logos posted on this thread look anything like the Av's logo. Secondly, the Av's logo set has been working for 20 years. If it wasn't for an awful 'edge' template and this recent fascination with making every logo as boring and simplistic as possible, this wouldn't even be a conversation.

what's with the hate for the avs logo, it looks great, always has. who in their right mind would prefer this generic piece of crap C they just ripped off a flag over their classic logo?

My thoughts exactly. It is a little 90s, but it's a great logo the shape, everything works perfectly well together. Maybe a minor touch-up here and there to update it, but it's still a top-tier logo to use even today.

There's no need to change their look to a franchise that was a major flop, especially now that the Avs franchise made up for that. This is one case where going back to their "roots" doesn't work.

I said it was a bad 90s cliche when it was first introduced. It suddenly become bad now, it's been bad all along.

I totally understand the affection that it engenders, with memories of the two Cups. But while nostalgia and past success can certainly make the logo beloved, they can't make it good.

You said it was a bad '90s cliche in 1995? We were barely halfway through the decade! We didn't even know what all the cliches were yet.

It's no secret that there are a lot of concepts on this board. I haven't seen an idea for an Avs primary that's better than this one. Yeah, the snow C is awesome, but that's pretty clearly designed to supplement the primary -- if you don't like the style of the primary, you can't like that, either.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

You said it was a bad '90s cliche in 1995? We were barely halfway through the decade! We didn't even know what all the cliches were yet.It's no secret that there are a lot of concepts on this board. I haven't seen an idea for an Avs primary that's better than this one. Yeah, the snow C is awesome, but that's pretty clearly designed to supplement the primary -- if you don't like the style of the primary, you can't like that, either.

Yes, and I knew that Miami Vice was a near-parody of the 80s while it was still on. :P

One of the things I really hate about the logo are the loopy oval and the uneven-thickness of the A (setting aside for the moment using an A at all). So the concept logo is heads-and-shoulders above the original. I also think it stands on its own, not needing anything else. It takes the good things about the primary and tosses out all the bad.

Is the Avalanche logo really that unpopular??

I think it's fantastic and I thought that was the general opinion of it...

Fantastic, no. It's good for what it is and good relative to its contemporaries (viz., toilet flush, Fishsticks, chrome-plated fossil skull), but not in a class with the Flyers, Penguins, Blues, Devils, Original Six minus the Rangers. It's showing its age, as are the numerals and the now-gone shoulder-foot, but conceptually it's not beyond salvation. I don't count using an A instead of a C as a deal-breaker; the N-Star is one of the most beloved hockey logos and that didn't have an M for Minnesota anywhere. It's a great idea, it just needs some cleaning up.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I kinda like it better without the oval. Then if you rotate it so that the bottom line is flat, it looks pretty good.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks like this. But rather than rotating it, the left outer edge of the "A" should be shortened to make the bottom line flat.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

Well, the Avs could have been the Rocky Mountain eXtreme.

extreme-495x247.png

Hold on a second. That wordmark looks awfully familiar...

homepic2.jpg

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

For anyone to say this is a whitewash attempt is going a bit too far. With this argument, should the Penguins keep their current Reebok crap because they won a Cup in it?

Hardly a title you could apply to the Avalanche' mountain range jerseys.

I am one of those people, probably a minority that hate the mountain range jerseys. I find them really ugly and clunky. Never liked them personally.

what's with the hate for the avs logo, it looks great, always has. who in their right mind would prefer this generic piece of crap C they just ripped off a flag over their classic logo?

I don't think it is as generic as you say it is. The logo has historic ties and it merges the Rockies, the Avalanche, and the state flag together. I don't think their current logo is bad. I just happen to like the new one better. I like the look of it. It's simple and I like how it pays tribute to multiple things.

Is the Avalanche logo really that unpopular??

I think it's fantastic and I thought that was the general opinion of it...

I think it is a little too busy like the average mid-90's logo but it isn't terrible. I have never been a huge fan of any Avalanche jersey, and I have never been a huge fan of the Avs' logo either. I think I could have a change of heart if their logo was on the right jersey but so far, I have yet to see a jersey where I've seen their logo and thought wow, this looks great.

Its an OK logo. There is nothing to hate or love. They keep it great. They ditch it, all well.

Now the Minnesota North Stars "N" logo, the Hartford Whalers "Pucky" logo and the New York Islanders "Fishermen" logo. Those are logos that you love and would make sweet, sweet, sweet love to if they were a woman.

I'm not talking about 2 minutes of lovemaking and you roll over and fall asleep. No. I'm talking about hours of non-stop love making that transcends the human body into a spiritual world that only exists on a higher plane..

The Catch of the Day!

^ I'm one of the few lovers on this board of the fisherman logo too. I actually have a hoody with it on it and I'm not even an Islanders fan. Maybe it's just nostalgia (I was 4-5 years old and just getting into hockey when it was around) but it doesn't matter.

I think like the "Robo" Penguins logo, the hate it gets is based more on what it represents (horrible ownership and team) and its replacing an iconic cup winning look than it being aesthetically bad.

There jerseys on the other hand, I could see why people hated them.

Archived