2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Calgary ? Will they ever get rid of those horrors...

No kidding eh? That team is incompetent. They fix the striping and shoulder patch problems only slap an awful script on the front and call it the third. SMH...

Hoping the Avs bring back the burgandy faux-Rangers alternate. Shame they won't make changes to the home and road, and I wish they'd adjust the number font back to the pre-2007 days.

I hope the third is a direct throwback to the burgundy pre-edge. At least then, they could look decent half the time in the playoffs (should they make it). On another note, why do they have to look the Rangers? With a name like "Avalanche" there are plenty of options for being creative.

So every team that has diagonal letters that is there name or city looks like the Rangers?! Seriously? Some times the opinions on this site blow my mind. In no way can you look at the Colorado third and think " Oh my god, they look just like the Rangers"...when they same people think that the stars green looks like the Blackhawks when it's almost the exact same jersey template as the Ranger blues!!!! Seriously....only here can the stars look "exactly" like the Hawks and Carolina is clearly "copying" team Canada.

Does every element of every jersey ever made have to have a unique template and characteristics that no other team ever has ever used before!?!?!

Does every element of every jersey ever made have to have a unique template and characteristics that no other team ever has ever used before!?!?!

They kinda do. It's never looked good when anyone else did it.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

All the Coyotes need to do is take a step back to their pre-edge jerseys.

Hopefully, the Ducks 3rd will be orange. And no, I don't want to hear anything about how they'll look like the Flyers and how they own that colour. Then, if the design is nice, make that their primary. The orange on their current set looks somewhat slapped on to be honest.

The Sabres need to fix what they have before bringing on another alternate. Take the chest numbers, trim, and pit stains out, please.

The same should be said about Colorado. But, if they are indeed changing their alternate, I'm hoping for a mainly burgandy jersey like their original alt, but with the logo on it, not because I think they look like the Rangers, which they don't, but because script logos are kinda dumb. The Rangers are grandfathered in.

The Islanders don't need a black alternate. And I'm dreading how it will turn out while thinking Brooklyn Nets.

The Caps should upgrade their Winter Classic jersey to alternate status. It would be a shame to only have them worn once.

Nobody's saying the Avalance's third is easily confused with the Rangers' jerseys. What they are saying, however, is that after decades of being the only team to use a diagonal script, said feature has become associated with them, and any other team who tries to use it ends up looking like a cheap wannabe imitation.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I'm making a prediction right now that the Penguins alternate next year isn't going to be the current throwback. I've heard that it's basically up to Crosby if they're "lucky" and if we keep it, and I'm pretty sure we have a losing record in them.

Nobody's saying the Avalance's third is easily confused with the Rangers' jerseys. What they are saying, however, is that after decades of being the only team to use a diagonal script, said feature has become associated with them, and any other team who tries to use it ends up looking like a cheap wannabe imitation.

Not quite true:

RSCN9353.JPG

4970-221Fr.jpg

Not to mention the numerous junior and collegiate teams that use it or have used it.

The Rangers used the diagonal script for decades before the Penguins introduced their original script uniform, which lasted for one season. They were the only team using the script for a good 30 years or so after that until the Pens reintroduced the script for a few seasons. I think it's totally fair to say that the Rangers own the diagonal script. Maybe I'm off in my history, but I'm pretty sure the junior teams using the script were just borrowing from the Rangers anyways. It'd be like another team using a spoked letter logo as their crest.

I don't get the Flames. They have such a gorgeous uniform history, and yet they continue to trot out their Reebokified ugly primaries and the most uninspired third jerseys in the league. Guhhhhhhhhhh, how is that possible. There are such easy fixes available to you, just use them.

The Rangers used the diagonal script for decades before the Penguins introduced their original script uniform, which lasted for one season. They were the only team using the script for a good 30 years or so after that until the Pens reintroduced the script for a few seasons. I think it's totally fair to say that the Rangers own the diagonal script. Maybe I'm off in my history, but I'm pretty sure the junior teams using the script were just borrowing from the Rangers anyways. It'd be like another team using a spoked letter logo as their crest.

My list wasnt meant to be expansive, just to cite a few obvious examples. Also I believe the Pens had that jersey for parts of 3 seasons b/t 67-69. There were other teams even going back into the 1930's that had diagonal scripts, like the Philadelphia Quakers (a literal script) etc. plus various other NCAA programs like UVM, UM, etc. have worn it over the years,

Sorry but I just dont buy that any team "owns" a basic diagonal arrangement of the letters in their name no more than a team like Blakchawks own the red/black color scheme.

Exactly. A big reason why no one will confuse the Avalanche third with the Rangers set is because unlike those classics, it simply doesn't look good. Why use a traditional script on a jersey your not even going to put hem stripes on. Also those colours really aren't suited for that kind of look. Particularly the black, which seems to be used in the most ineffective and obtrusive way possible.

Anaheim Ducks

New alternate- They don't have much to choose from as far as logos go (they're not gonna bring back the script or put the D foot in 3 places), so I'm hoping the Duck Mask goes back front and center. It would look great on an orange uni.

Arizona Coyotes

New home and away uniforms with a new primary logo. The howling 'Yote is ok, but it's become dated. An updated version of their original set would be fantastic.

Buffalo Sabres

No words needed. Hopefully they don't replace one terrible alternate with another.

Colorado Avalanche

Hopefully a complete revamp is in the works eventually. I like their diagonal script, but hate their blue uni. Their original maroon 3rd was great.

New York Islanders

As long as they don't change their primary set, any alternate is fine with me. Plus, it can't get any worse than the black alt they had.

Washington Capitals
I could live with their WC jersey being a full time third. I liked it a lot. BUT not if it means getting rid of the 'retro' alt.

sig.png

Icethetics Jersey Watch 2015 is here!

Anaheim Ducks

New alternate

Arizona Coyotes

New home and away uniforms with a new primary logo. Could they be going back to the Kachina look full time?

Buffalo Sabres

The Turd Burger is being put out to pasture! Thank god.

Colorado Avalanche

Same home and road uniforms (seriously??) but a new third is on the way. No more "aqua" rangers ripoffs. Again, thank god.

New York Islanders

New alternate as was expected

Washington Capitals

New alternate. Chris seems to think it will be the red throwback but I wonder of the latest WC jersey will be used.

1. I hope its orange

2. They should have done that this year. I hope its new and not that 90s throwback. Teams need to go forward and not backwards.

4. I liked the color. Didn't care for the wordmark.

5. Don't they have to modify the logo so the "I" in "Islanders" marks Brooklyn on the map instead of Uniondale?

6. I kinda dig those uniforms. Especially the red pants.

I'd prefer retro red being the third. Bump the current third to the road jersey and leave the home where it is.

I wonder how a black alternate would look for Colorado. Since they already have black helmets and bottoms, I don't think it'd look too out of place for them to have one. I'm not saying it's the best option by any means, just saying (and big emphasis here) if done right, it could work.

*ducks and runs, dodges tomatoes* :P

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Well this sucks, i got one for Christmas and now it's being retired(Sabres 3rd)

Did you really expect them to keep it?

Anyway, the Sabres' president was on the radio this morning, and there was some jersey talk. He confirmed that the third was dead... he was pretty frank, but tried his best to spin it. He said he thought there was "third jersey fatigue". Personally, I think the problem was a hideous jersey worn by hideous teams. But that's just my opinion.

He also said there were no current plans for a new third. He threw out the idea a couple of times that there might not be a third until the 50th anniversary in 2020, but if the team gets good again, I expect that "third jersey fatigue" to disappear. It wouldn't be a stretch at all to have a new third for 2017 or 2018 and then one for the anniversary in 2020.

Edit: and the hosts brought up the idea of a red-and-black throwback, but he didn't bite at all.

Next season will be the ninth under Reebok. There is absolutely no excuse for Colorado, Calgary, Ottawa, Pittsburgh et al. to still be wearing their click-and-fill garbage. If the chance to boost merchandise sales or, you know, actually look good won't convice them to change things, what will?

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived