2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

Guys. They built a cartoon around it. It's modled after Disney's famous cartoon duck. It's cartoony. That's not a bad thing, as has been pointed out. It's just what it is. I'd rather the argument be "it's cartoony, but it works" rather then trying to argue something that's clearly not true.

ducksthird1_zpst5bho8wv.jpg

I like it, and the white mockup above, save for one detail. The D. It just doesn't work. It doesn't compliment the primary. There's a style clash. I would replace the D with the OC mark from the Stadium Series sweater. It ties in with the number font and help the team claim orange because of the "Orange County" connection. My one nitpick.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My quick and very crude attempt at what a white version of the Ducks' 3rd would be by switching the gold with orange on the sleeves. This way there is more than a just a little orange. Forget about the orange on the collar and the bits on the nameplate.

Ducks%20White.jpg

It's just that the bronze doesn't look as good when it touches the orange.

Guys. They built a cartoon around it. It's modled after Disney's famous cartoon duck. It's cartoony. That's not a bad thing, as has been pointed out. It's just what it is. I'd rather the argument be "it's cartoony, but it works" rather then trying to argue something that's clearly not true.

ducksthird1_zpst5bho8wv.jpg

I like it, and the white mockup above, save for one detail. The D. It just doesn't work. It doesn't compliment the primary. There's a style clash. I would replace the D with the OC mark from the Stadium Series sweater. It ties in with the number font and help the team claim orange because of the "Orange County" connection. My one nitpick.

I think the mask and the D compliment each other well enough, but then again I'm used to seeing them next to each other all the time. I'm also starting to think this could work without shoulder patches at all.

The OC patch kind of worked in the context of that Stadium Series matchup, but beyond that it's tacky and unnecessary. For one thing, it looks like they threw it together in two seconds. And although they're in Orange County, it's not part of the team name and that would bug me. If they were named the Orange County Ducks* I wouldn't mind that so much. An AD monogram like on the black and purple third could work. Or something with just an A, preferably not involving turning the D-foot on its side because that really, really doesn't look like an A.

*That would make the team's acronym OCD, and speaking as someone with traits of the disorder I would find that absolutely hilarious and fully embrace it :lol:

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

It's cartoony, but it works.

Not that it matters, but in point of fact I do not think "they built a cartoon around it". It wasn't cartoony enough for that, so they developed a different version for the cartoon.

Mightyduckslogo_930.jpg

It's cartoony, but it works.
As I conceded :D

Not that it matters, but in point of fact I do not think "they built a cartoon around it". It wasn't cartoony enough for that, so they developed a different version for the cartoon.

Mightyduckslogo_930.jpg

That was the show logo, but the team logo was all over the place in the show proper. And there's no denying that it bares a striking resemblance to a famous Disney-branded cartoon duck.

None of this means it's a bad logo per say, but denying that it has cartoonish elements at all just comes off as silly to me.

Guys, look.

If we're talking about cartoony Ducks logos, you've got the shoulder patch and the Wild Wing jersey.

Cartoony? Yes.

4.gif

Cartoony? Yes.

b7m8cfbq2tize0w1othu.png

But when it comes to the primary logo? Especially in comparison to those two things...

Cartoony? No.

1.gif

The main logo was cartoony, but who cares? It was still awesome.

Obviously not mine but thought this would work well for the Ducks:

j3z6aHF.png

great_scott-s400x341-252428.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

The Hockey News just released their "jersey issue" featuring the top 100 jerseys of all time in a list so laughable, it makes Paul Lucas's recent uniform ratings seem reasonable. Here are the NHL uniforms that made the list...

1) San Jose Sharks 1991-1998

2) Chicago Blackhawks

4) Montreal Canadiens

6) Detroit Red Wings

7) Toronto Maple Leafs 1958-59

9) Quebec Nordiques

14) Pittsburgh Penguins 80's Golds

20) Edmonton Oilers 2015 Orange Alternate

26) New York Rangers

27) Boston Bruins

30) Ottawa Senators Silver 7 Barberpoles

31) San Jose Sharks 'Black Armour' (Hah!)

33) Philadelphia Flyers Current

36) Harford Whalers Greens

38) Minnesota North Stars w/ Black Trim

42) Chicago Blackhawks black and whites

49) Buffalo Sabres current w/ pit stains/piping (they make a point of saying the front numbers work well :rolleyes:)

50) New York Americans

58) Minnesota Wild current reds

61) Calgary Flames throwbacks

69) Washington Capitals blacks w/ white house logo

82) Arizona Coyotes currents (are you kidding me??)

83) Minnesota Wild green alt

85) Nashville Preds yellows

87) Winnipeg Jets Inaugural set

91) St Louis Blues w/ Arched script and red trim

100) Dallas Stars current set

Archived