2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

robo-pen was the best.

One of the most underrated logos in sports.

No question. It actually looks like a penguin and manages to incorporate the topography of the area, with the stripes representing the three rivers. People who deride the logo have always said it looks "corporate..." I don't see that at all.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Robo-penguin would be the best possible logo for them, if they hadn't already had the Skating Penguin. They're both excellent logos, but the skater has more personality. Robo tries just a bit too hard to be dignified.

I agree 100%. You just can't replace the skating penguin because it's too damn good of a logo, but the RoboPen is so good as well.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Just no. I'm sick of this trend of flags or flag imagery trying to pass for sports logos... Compare the rendering of any semi-decent sports logo to the way flags are rendered. The styles are like oil and water. No sports logo would employ strokes as thin as on that image and for good reason; it wouldn't translate into embroidery.

386px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Pittsburgh,_Pennsy

Only shoulder logo the Pens need (and just on one). Robo-Pen was good design in a vacuum, but a poor replacement for the skating penguin.

Save this idea for their Stadium Series game at PNC Park next season. The Penguins don't need this on their regular uniforms any more than the Blackhawks need light blue and six-pointed stars on theirs.

Everything about the Penguins' pre-Edge uniforms was pretty much right - except for the players wearing them.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Dammit, Eugene.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Save this idea for their Stadium Series game at PNC Park next season. The Penguins don't need this on their regular uniforms any more than the Blackhawks need light blue and six-pointed stars on theirs.

I respectfully disagree: Pittsburgh sometimes feels like a world unto itself, not quite Midwest and certainly not East Coast, and with all three teams sharing black and yellow and the Pens in particular basing their logo on the confluence of the rivers, I feel like pure civic pride makes for better secondary iconography than anything penguin-related or Pittsburgh-inspired, with the primary already checking both.

I'd want to see the Pirates wear it on their sleeve as well. I don't think the Steelers have the real estate for it. I just think it's a really neat thing.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived