2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

robo-pen was the best.

One of the most underrated logos in sports.

No question. It actually looks like a penguin and manages to incorporate the topography of the area, with the stripes representing the three rivers. People who deride the logo have always said it looks "corporate..." I don't see that at all.

Those 3 stripes were paid for by Mellon Bank to remind people of their logo.

The Penguins wanted to have 4 jerseys to sell more jerseys.

They changed their logo and jerseys right after winning back to back cups and everyone had bought the old logo's merchandise

It was the most corporate move in modern sports. That's why it looks corporate, because it was.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Have a source for the Mellon claim? I hadn't heard that before.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I can't fathom how the Lightning rejected this sharp design...

1112-tbl-proto1.jpg

...in favor of the bland click and fill template...

fa2b87421b7f592c.jpg

How is the top one not another "point and click fill in the colors" template also?

It's has differences from the Capitals and Avalanche template. Small differences but still not exactly the same.

I can't fathom how the Lightning rejected this sharp design...

1112-tbl-proto1.jpg

...in favor of the bland click and fill template...

fa2b87421b7f592c.jpg

How is the top one not another "point and click fill in the colors" template also?

It's has differences from the Capitals and Avalanche template. Small differences but still not exactly the same.

Still click and fill. A more complicated click and fill to be sure, but not somehow better than the other one.

Still click and fill. A more complicated click and fill to be sure, but not somehow better than the other one.

We could say. Although no team decided to use this template, there may be prototypes in existence of other teams using that template that haven't surfaced on the internet yet.

Have a source for the Mellon claim? I hadn't heard that before.

It's one of those things that has been said in hushed tones since the early 90s. It happened in an era where product placement was less ubiquitous and such things were certainly not publicized. I'm still looking for sources, but I've heard it from so many places that I've stopped doubting it.

On the "corporate" side of things, this quote from pittsburghhockey.net

Gary Adams, an artist with Vance, Wright & Adams Design Group, came up with the “corporate-style” logo that was used on the shoulder patches until the start of the 2007-08 season. Adam’s said new Penguins’ owner Howard Baldwin wanted something more “marketable” and even considered changing the name back to the Hornets.” “Baldwin said: ‘They’re gonna kill me for changing the logo, why not the name?’ ” recalled Adams. “We even looked at replacing gold with the Vegas Gold color scheme.” The design was met with skepticism and superstition. Loyal fans thought the logo change was a Baldwin gimimick simply to generate money in jersey sales. Others, including Gessner, thought the logo change would ruin the Pens’ mojo. “They just won the Stanley Cup two years in a row and they wanted to change the logo?” recalled Gessner. “I was stunned and saddened. They were really on a roll and they decided to change horses.” In the first year of the “corporate-style” logo, the Penguins enjoyed their finest regular season, but were upset by the New York Islanders in the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs – ending a bid for a third consecutive championship.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

That Mellon thing has been posted here before, but never (AFAIK) with any attribution. I'm pretty confident that it's not true. Somebody noticed, or thought they noticed, a slight similarity and jumped to a silly conclusion. Or maybe it started as a joke that somebody else took seriously.

Both Penguins logos look great in different ways and both should be used on their main set and an alternate. The skating penguin should serve as the primary logo while the realistic version, with the three stripes serves, as the main crest on an alternate. They are that good. I don't believe the Mellon Bank story for a second and even it was true, it would not change my opinion of the logo.

Oh hey, a handy reminder of what an idiot Howard Baldwin is.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Both Penguins logos look great in different ways and both should be used on their main set and an alternate. The skating penguin should serve as the primary logo while the realistic version, with the three stripes serves, as the main crest on an alternate. They are that good. I don't believe the Mellon Bank story for a second and even it was true, it would not change my opinion of the logo.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Of all the new logos to come out of the 1990s, it is definitely one of the top five (up there with Lady Liberty, the Mighty Ducks, the Kings' new crown and the Avs' logo) for sure.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I don't think it does fit seamlessly. The ever-so-90s pointed font certainly doesn't fit seamlessly with anything in the Rangers' uniform set current or past, not even the ever-so-90s pointed shield update they created to pair with it in a futile attempt to disguise how out of character it was.

And that's all setting aside that "NYR" is an awkward abbreviation at best, suitable only for distinguishing them from the Islanders on a television score bug. A full "Rangers" would have had more promise, or just "NY".

I loved the idea of a Lady Liberty logo. I wish more New York teams would use her in their iconography. But that was an embarrassing effort to modernize a classic that didn't need modernizing, their version of the Islanders fish sticks and also best forgotten. In this case, the team appears to agree with me.

Either "RANGERS" or "NY" would have been fine. I've just never liked team nicknames included in monograms (looking at you, Colorado Rockies).

EDIT

Here's a quick mockup. I opted for the full "NEW YORK RANGERS" script instead of just "RANGERS" or "NY." It's a rough proof of concept, but I think it works.

6oPg35Q.png

I couldn't have said it better myself. Of all the new logos to come out of the 1990s, it is definitely one of the top five (up there with Lady Liberty, the Mighty Ducks, the Kings' new crown and the Avs' logo) for sure.

panthers is easily the best logo to come out of the 90's. heck it's one of the best ever honestly.

I don't think it does fit seamlessly. The ever-so-90s pointed font certainly doesn't fit seamlessly with anything in the Rangers' uniform set current or past, not even the ever-so-90s pointed shield update they created to pair with it in a futile attempt to disguise how out of character it was.

And that's all setting aside that "NYR" is an awkward abbreviation at best, suitable only for distinguishing them from the Islanders on a television score bug. A full "Rangers" would have had more promise, or just "NY".

I loved the idea of a Lady Liberty logo. I wish more New York teams would use her in their iconography. But that was an embarrassing effort to modernize a classic that didn't need modernizing, their version of the Islanders fish sticks and also best forgotten. In this case, the team appears to agree with me.

It wasn't an attempt to update a "classic" it was an attempt to create an alternate look to be worn on occasion. It accomplishes what a good alternate uniform is supposed to do by taking elements of the standard set, in this case the red, white & blue scheme and use of shield imagery, and creating something original. The comparison to the Fisherman also holds no water because unlike the Islanders, the Rangers kept their traditional look intact.

As for Cap's concept, I think replacing the NYR with the full name makes the logo overly complicated and fussy. There's nothing wrong with "NYR" anyways. It's just an acronym.

A good alternate uniform should compliment, not supplant, the main uniform. Introducing a new element without trashing the old. And in the Rangers' case, their ugly new shield certainly trashed the old.

But that's just my rule. YMMV.

Either "RANGERS" or "NY" would have been fine. I've just never liked team nicknames included in monograms (looking at you, Colorado Rockies).

EDIT

Here's a quick mockup. I opted for the full "NEW YORK RANGERS" script instead of just "RANGERS" or "NY." It's a rough proof of concept, but I think it works.

6oPg35Q.png

Much better, but it's still a silly, self-important font. Very out of place for such a traditional team.

Archived